Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Sgt Fury’s 2019 season

Sgt Fury

Sgt. Spellchecker
FF18E300-17D2-4868-8C35-4FCE3A718623.jpeg
AEFDDA99-4C23-4A24-9AE9-D0DBA67103F0.jpeg
3D596F92-29FE-48FD-9491-17E1505E83A6.jpeg

Sat this morning...saw two bucks, a spike and a basket rack. My trailcam showed that the bucks were showing up during the night and early mornings...not much buck activity the rest of the day. I’ll try my luck again this afternoon.

Reactions: giles and Big_Holla

Sgt Fury

Sgt. Spellchecker
Saw a small spike and a doe. It got dark and there weren’t any other deer around except for the doe (the spike had left the area)...so I need to get her out of there so I can get down. I do my Mac impersonation from predator...I whisper “over here.....out there, past those trees....I see you”. She ran off...I laughed, she laughed, we all laughed. Well, she snorted but I’m taking that as a deer laugh!😂 Trailcam shows most all buck movement is in the mornings still so I’ll have another go at it tomorrow.👍

Sgt Fury

Sgt. Spellchecker
01BADFD9-F6C4-4CD0-9CD8-80D35D0AEE7C.jpeg

Passed this guy yesterday morning...then this morning I had a bigger, although messed up rack on the bait this morning...jumped him going in. The time stamp is an hour off...shooting light is 6:20 here in Jersey and I got to the stand at 5:30 this morning. Here’s a pic of him at the bait, then going on alert, then me walking to the stand. Dirty bastard!
88ECC686-4772-4E3B-B413-68C0A6A1AE97.jpeg
FE5A3A84-D380-478A-BFE1-43A283C32CD5.jpeg
D17DF2A4-685B-40DB-8182-A4BD4203E1F9.jpeg
D4464EAC-C643-4F26-9767-9FDFC38C2F56.jpeg

Sgt Fury

Sgt. Spellchecker
Saw a doe and fawn tonight...also a third deer that passed by near dark at around 40 yards that I couldn’t tell if it was a buck or doe. Tomorrow is the last day for extended bow in the zone I’m hunting. If I strike out tomorrow, I won’t be out again until the second week of December for NJ gun season...I have three out of the six days off.

Reactions: triple_duece

Sgt Fury

Sgt. Spellchecker
Out gun season runs from this past Monday until this Saturday...I’m off Thursday thru Saturday. Got done work today and ran to the stand behind my house. Was only sitting for 15 minutes and had nine does, a spike and a small 8 point pass by at 20 yards. I’m waiting for something bigger. Got three more days to hunt after tonight’s sit and it’s already off to a good start.

Reactions: Big_Holla

Sgt Fury

Sgt. Spellchecker
F2C933FA-871F-4A76-A3C4-50933D8D8989.jpeg
ECA7BA49-72E6-4F5B-A763-FC1F37030D97.jpeg
96EF9B55-A2D4-4F8C-AFD2-BDA5CF4F25A2.jpeg
5FD8A3C0-4345-40DE-A2E6-3BBCF2CED9F5.jpeg
211A73FA-A620-48AD-AB4D-0FDFCC3B45F4.jpeg

First daylight pics I have of this one....last Sunday. The gun season started Monday. Hopefully he’s still alive and I bump into him in the next three days. It rained heavy on Monday and he came in before the front. It supposed to rain heavy again Saturday so I’m hoping he comes back Friday evening....but I won’t be upset if he shows before then.😂

Sgt Fury

Sgt. Spellchecker
Sat yesterday afternoon and had deer coming from every direction the last hour of daylight...passed a spike...the only buck I got a good look at. I would’ve had a better chance of guessing how many marbles were in a glass jar then counting the deer I saw...it is so thick that as soon as a deer stops moving, you can’t see it anymore. Every direction I looked I had deer moving. Hard to count when they are literally coming and going fro every direction along with moving/stopping. Didn’t see the big one I’m after. Sat again tonight in the rain and only seen three does and one I couldn’t tell what it was. Two of the does were only 20 yards away and I could barely make them out. I know after the season, I need to get in there and cut a few shooting lanes! Try it again tomorrow.😊

Reactions: triple_duece

Sgt Fury

Sgt. Spellchecker
And our six day firearms season ended today. I passed a total of five bucks waiting for the big one I have trail cam pics of.....Monday starts muzzleloader season and it runs until the end of January. I have work next week and may be retired come next Sunday....they haven’t said if they accepted my retirement yet (Verizon came out with a retirement offer and I put in for it). If I’m retired by the 22nd, I’ll have the rest of December and all of January to try and get my target buck.

Sgt Fury

Sgt. Spellchecker
Well, all of that work I did right after our gun season ended is working out. I knew there was three weeks between then and the opening of the season today, so I moved the bait pile back further into the thicket and cleaned out several deer trails going through it to try and influence the deer movement through the thicket. Sat this afternoon and saw at least 14 different does... couldve been as much as 30 but they were coming and going from every direction and every time I turned my head, the deer were in different spots. I literally had deer completely around me. It is so thick in that swamp bottom that you can only see ten yards in any direction and those deer would check the wind with every couple of steps. Seeing that many deer walking around scent checking every couple of yards for that amount of time was more than I’ve seen in the past ten years! I see deer scent check almost every hunt but that many doing it so often was comical...I thought I was on candid camera. If I kept a tally of every time I saw a deer scent check, the total would’ve been several hundred...kinda freaked me out!😂 The work I spent clearing the paths and trimming shooting lanes really paid off...I was spotting some at 60 yards where previously I couldn’t spot them until they were 20 yards away. I trimmed the shooting lanes up high so that from the ground they are not really noticeable. Almost every deer used one of the trimmed up deer paths. Only thing that was missing tonight was that big buck I’m after.😊