Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Sgt Fury’s 2019 season

Sgt Fury

Sgt. Spellchecker
Well, I have a trailcam thread but figured I’d start a hunting thread so I can post events that happen in the field. NJ’s season in my zone starts in a couple of weeks. I have the whole month of November off to hunt Ohio but I’ll hunt weekends here in October until I can get out there. Today I went to the stand that I’ve been hunting for over a decade to put out some bait, mineral block (I put one out in the spring also), and to place my trail cam. I went to my ladder stand (a 22 footer) and noticed the pine tree it was in was completely dead. I never hunted this stand last year because I only had basket racks on comaera. I climbed 3/4 the way up and shook the ladder...the entire tree shook. I felt as if it was going to topple over from the base. I backed off and after some cussing, decided that this stand needed to be moved anyway. There is a spot about a hundred yards away that I’ve always wanted to move to as this is the direction that most deer tend to come from. So I scouted it out and found the perfect tree. Went home to get some tools and came back. I used a cordless drill to remove my cam lock box and secured it to another tree. Used a chain saw to remove some trees around the stand and also had to clear some out from where I park the truck too as it was getting overgrown. Cleared a area for my new mock scrape that will go up mid October. Got everything set up and ready to go. Got a friend going to help place a new stand next Sunday morning. I’ve got one already put together in the garage and waiting to go. I’m Leary about going to the top of the old stand to retrieve it as the tree may fall....when gravity brings it down, I’ll retrieve it from the woods...hopefully I can salvage most of it if not all of it. It’s good to have spare ladder sections anyway. I hate disturbing the woods this close to the season but I had no choice. I value my life more than a ladder stand and don’t want to risk hunting from it. Just got back in and took a shower...I was so soaked with sweat that my pants felt like they weighed ten pounds! Hopefully we can get in and set the stand up in less than a hour and with minimal disturbance. May skip opening week anyway to wait for cool weather....and let the woods settle a bit.

Fletch

Supporting Member
Don't go up the tree to unstrap the original ladder stand... Attach a utility knife to a pole saw and cut the strap... No EAB down by you????

Reactions: triple_duece

Fletch

Supporting Member
It’s chained and locked also...tree too wobbly to risk getting it now. I’ll get it though. It has a good chain and lock I can use later. What is EAB?
What's EAB???? Earn a Buck..... Season started today in alot of Jersey zones... Gotta shoot a doe first, then you can shoot a buck... Alot of fawns fell today... After all gotta get that buck you been watching... Like seasons aren't long enough...Then the same guys bitch there's no deer...

Sgt Fury

Sgt. Spellchecker
What's EAB???? Earn a Buck..... Season started today in alot of Jersey zones... Gotta shoot a doe first, then you can shoot a buck... Alot of fawns fell today... After all gotta get that buck you been watching... Like seasons aren't long enough...Then the same guys bitch there's no deer...
The zone I hunt in bow doesn’t have EAB. I don’t like that they have that because it’s a common practice for people to tag the same doe. I know of others who’ve had a huge buck come in before the doe and they shot it. The zone I live in has EAB but I don’t like shooting does, especially in this heat. People will also hunt zones that the EAB is closed, a lot of lawbreakers out there.

Lucky

Sunbury
Thats a crazy ass rule. Glad it aint in ohio. Being able to hunt Ohio in November like you said is the best month u could hunt Ohio. Nov 1 thru about 11 are days to sit all day. If had to pick one its probly the7th. But love the 11th too. Depending on how big around the pine is , maybey cut it with hand saw. Pines are lighter than most and good chance it wont damage it too bad. Better than waiting to fall on its own. That could b years from now.

Reactions: Sgt Fury

Fletch

Supporting Member
Fury if the ladder stand isn't real high put a couple ladder sticks on the back of the tree and go up and unlock the lock.. Most of your weight will be straight down on the sticks or take a big step ladder in and undo it... Shouldn't have to go more than 8 ft up then you can reach lock...

Sgt Fury

Sgt. Spellchecker
Thats a crazy ass rule. Glad it aint in ohio. Being able to hunt Ohio in November like you said is the best month u could hunt Ohio. Nov 1 thru about 11 are days to sit all day. If had to pick one its probly the7th. But love the 11th too. Depending on how big around the pine is , maybey cut it with hand saw. Pines are lighter than most and good chance it wont damage it too bad. Better than waiting to fall on its own. That could b years from now.
Been hunting back there for over 30 years....ten at that tree. I can wait a couple years!😂

Sgt Fury

Sgt. Spellchecker
Fury if the ladder stand isn't real high put a couple ladder sticks on the back of the tree and go up and unlock the lock.. Most of your weight will be straight down on the sticks or take a big step ladder in and undo it... Shouldn't have to go more than 8 ft up then you can reach lock...
22 foot ladder stand...and it’s locked at the top with chain and steel cable.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
22 foot ladder stand...and it’s locked at the top with chain and steel cable.
How tight is the cable/chain too the tree? I’ve cut straps and slid the stand down the trunk of the tree in the past. It’ll work with a little help and finessing

Sgt Fury

Sgt. Spellchecker
How tight is the cable/chain too the tree? I’ve cut straps and slid the stand down the trunk of the tree in the past. It’ll work with a little help and finessing
Stand has been there for ten years....chain is so tight that the metal part of the stand that grabs onto the tree is cutting into the bark. The tree is pretty unstable with me shaking it...and that’s only 3/4 of the way up. I’m not sure it would be very stable at the top...especially tugging at chains that are very tight against the tree. I have three other brand new 22 foot ladder stands in the garage. I’m ok with putting up a new one and waiting for the tree to fall, then I’ll easily retrieve the stand from ground level. Like I said earlier, if part of the stand gets damaged, I can always use the spare ladder sections.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Stand has been there for ten years....chain is so tight that the metal part of the stand that grabs onto the tree is cutting into the bark. The tree is pretty unstable with me shaking it...and that’s only 3/4 of the way up. I’m not sure it would be very stable at the top...especially tugging at chains that are very tight against the tree. I have three other brand new 22 foot ladder stands in the garage. I’m ok with putting up a new one and waiting for the tree to fall, then I’ll easily retrieve the stand from ground level. Like I said earlier, if part of the stand gets damaged, I can always use the spare ladder sections.
Well then, grab a saw and fall that tree in a direction that is more favorable too you than Mother Nature....

Fletch

Supporting Member
Is a life without donuts really a life?😂
TRUE....Life would suck without donuts and a good TAYLOR HAM, egg and cheese sandwich on a hard roll... Yeh, yeh I know you Southern Jersey guys call it " Pork Roll".... LOL

Reactions: Sgt Fury

Sgt Fury

Sgt. Spellchecker
TRUE....Life would suck without donuts and a good TAYLOR HAM, egg and cheese sandwich on a hard roll... Yeh, yeh I know you Southern Jersey guys call it " Pork Roll".... LOL
Haha! Pork roll vs. Taylor ham, jimmies vs. sprinkles, bennies vs. shoobies, wooder vs. water!😂 Only NJ people know what we’re talking about!
Oh yeah, almost forgot....E-A-G-L-E-S!!!

Fletch

Supporting Member
IMG_20190605_102723.jpg

Yup saw one not long Go....

Sgt Fury

Sgt. Spellchecker
Got my new stand up today...what a pain in the ass! Huge pine tree with many branches to contend with, but it’s up and I have great background cover. Nothing showed up on cam that I’d want to shoot but hopefully something shows soon.
DC0EED64-6BD7-46B3-A516-DAFF2E9F75BC.jpeg
4CEFD28E-A892-43D3-919D-826F9C6EEBD8.jpeg
1FB86E3A-0A93-454B-AE9A-D23E6AA7379D.jpeg
6B406FBC-D911-45C2-A4FE-2B3D333683E7.jpeg
12F1CDED-5D00-4B9B-85F1-4FA3E07F2B79.jpeg