Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Sgt Fury’s 2019 season

Sgt Fury

Sgt. Spellchecker
Sat yesterday again all day. Only saw two does in the am. Around 5:30 a buck came in from my right. Didn’t think it was a shooter at first but after he came closer I realized it was one of my target bucks. I’m going to do a thread with all of the details but he ended up going about 80 yards down to the bottom of a ravine. Took another all day sit to get him at the end but I’ll take it!😂

Does seen: 2
Bucks seen:1
All day sit:2
Shooter bucks:1
Total hours on stand: 23
*now back to Jersey in a couple days to chase that ten pointer I’ve got on cam!😁

Sgt Fury

Sgt. Spellchecker
92858882-B301-439D-8742-6BE5C3ED86C2.jpeg
CAF3362F-6C67-4882-BFF5-22D125847095.jpeg
9C2C6F12-F876-4812-A96F-A95638EFFCE9.jpeg

Got my stand up today for our gun season which starts the second Monday in December. I’ve got some huge rubs and many scrapes around. I’m going there tomorrow to drop some corn and put up a camera to see what kinda bucks are around. I’ll take some pics of the rubs...some are impressive. I bought this property about five years ago and have never hunted it yet due to taking November off for bowhunting and not having any vacation left for gun season. Hopefully I’ll be retired soon and will be able to hunt shotgun and muzzleloader seasons from here on out.

Sgt Fury

Sgt. Spellchecker
Sat tonight and only saw three does. Very windy and they were quite skittish and went in a big loop around to my left and went back the way they came. Seems that whenever the winds get above 15mph that it really suppresses deer movement. Supposed to rain tomorrow but the wind won’t be as strong. As long as it’s not down pouring, I’ll be out again.

Sgt Fury

Sgt. Spellchecker
Well, sat again tonight at the stand that the ten point I’m after frequents. Haven’t had a pic of him in over three weeks. Hoping that he’s out gettin some cooter and will return. On the way in I could smell deer musk...leaves were wet from a light rain..overcast sky...jumped deer on the way in. I figured I would see a lot of deer because they were moving early. About 15 minutes after getting settled in, I hear voices behind me a couple hundred yards. They get louder and finally I see four slappers walking through the woods talking loud and laughing. When they get about 30 yards from me, they freeze. One guy says “what do you think he is doing?” The other guy says “he’s hunting”. Then they all continue walking by me, passing at 15 yards...heads down, never looking up at me. Once they get about 30 yards away, they start talking loud again and head directly to where the deer usually come from. After losing sight of them, I can still hear them talking. Then the one guy who was carrying a machete starts cutting down a tree. They made all kind of noise for around ten minutes then start walking west toward a logging road. I can hear them talking as they walk the logging road back toward where they came from. By this time, I figure I have around 2 1/2 hours of shooting light left so I decide to stay put. Sat til dark and didn’t see a single deer. First time I’ve ever sat back there and not see at least one. What gets me upset is that I heard them talking about a white deer one of them had on camera...so I know at least one was a hunter. Pretty ignorant to not back out the way you came when you stumble upon another hunter. Hope karma gets them!🖕🖕👊

Sgt Fury

Sgt. Spellchecker
B25AD545-BAA4-4DB7-856E-651F46699590.jpeg
7D21B6E2-F564-4014-9CB0-6A607250BDA2.jpeg

Got a camera set up today overlooking a huge scrape. TD’s idea to get an inventory of the bucks using the property that I’ll be hunting the second week of December (NJ gun season). Couldn’t get it setup for video...camera functions weren’t responding to the owners manual to change from pics to video so I left it set for pics. I’ll let it soak for a week then get the card next week.

triple_duece

Ragin Cajun.
View attachment 90256View attachment 90257
Got a camera set up today overlooking a huge scrape. TD’s idea to get an inventory of the bucks using the property that I’ll be hunting the second week of December (NJ gun season). Couldn’t get it setup for video...camera functions weren’t responding to the owners manual to change from pics to video so I left it set for pics. I’ll let it soak for a week then get the card next week.

At least you followed good advice unlike my dumbass listening to giles telling me to move cause I blew my spot out. We all know that advice was WRONG! [emoji1787]

Reactions: Sgt Fury and giles

triple_duece

Ragin Cajun.
Probably missed out on a booner because you didn’t listen.

Possible but unlikely w me seeing 20 deer that morning w bucks chasing. I have no regerts...lol.

You can look at it all kind of ways, I could’ve been killed by another hunter. I’m 100% satisfied w my outcome. Actually you gave me motivation when I was worn down. I got pissed and was mad at the deer again. Went to Walmart that night so I could pack in food to sit all day. Didn’t get a chance to even eat. Anyway I was just picking at you but thanks. Think positive and be thankful.

Reactions: Sgt Fury and giles

Sgt Fury

Sgt. Spellchecker
Sat tonight and saw 4 does. Checked my trailcam and the bucks are showing up during the mornings...not the one I’m after but it seems to be the only buck activity during daylight. Got a decent one in the middle of the night...so they are starting to show up. May have to sit this stand in the morning, even though I hate walking into a stand with bait in the mornings...spook to many deer. Times are an hour off...never turned it back for daylight savings.
146B0D48-D7D1-4877-A484-B28A225281BB.jpeg
9C1B27C5-2424-4E29-A5E4-04AA71FDAA07.jpeg
65FDCC68-54AB-4E26-BCAE-5F9BC1AF45A4.jpeg
6197B3AD-C4CA-4A91-B6D1-0E1F912B1349.jpeg
61397D30-41FC-4242-9770-75B881C0A8B3.jpeg
04AB3ADE-8073-482F-8F90-C5FC1FD865DB.jpeg
4971DC29-5BD8-48A3-81DB-820F31450DA6.jpeg