Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Fletch's 2020 Six Day Firearm N.J. Season...

Fletch

Supporting Member

Just saying
That's good, I like it... But now I want them to show up... Well maybe not I'd rather get the deer... Went yesterday afternoon and there was a truck parked where I park... Was gonna go down the road and circle in to my stand, then decided against it as my luck I jump that deer and he'd run right up to this guy... Went elsewhere and saw nothing...

Reactions: triple_duece

Fletch

Supporting Member
Well it's roughly 3 PM and it's the last day of our 6 day firearm season, I should be 20 ft. up in a tree waiting for Casper but instead I've had a few beers and I'm lying on the couch with my English Setter next to me... Enough is enough, gotta know when to throw the towel in... Casper was on the trail cam Wed. night , so he's around, but he's a nocturnal buck... Bears are tucked in for the winter as I haven't had a bear on cam in weeks... Mon. muzzle loader season starts again, so might try a couple more sits in the afternoon... Hey Spencie, can I get a membership in your club of the worst deer hunters???

triple_duece

Ragin Cajun.
Sucks that he’s so hard to kill but, it’s the quest, anticipation and journey that we all love about hunting. No shame in throwing the towel in for a couple days. I only hope that I have your drive to do it like you in the latter years. Truly an inspiration to all of us trying to fulfill our dreams.

Reactions: finelyshedded

Fletch

Supporting Member
Sucks that he’s so hard to kill but, it’s the quest, anticipation and journey that we all love about hunting. No shame in throwing the towel in for a couple days. I only hope that I have your drive to do it like you in the latter years. Truly an inspiration to all of us trying to fulfill our dreams.
Thanks.... It's been a journey chasing him since early Oct. esp. in the big woods that he's in .. You hit it on the head when you said: that's what it's all about and why we push on like we do... Told my wife today: It's strange after this long journey if I get the chance to close it out, I may let him walk.. Funny but as you get older the fire still burns but you appreciate life... Both yours and theirs ... Here he is Thurs. night.....
PXL_20201211_225818876.jpg

Fletch

Supporting Member
Shit..... We may get a foot of snow Wed... That will suck and end my hunting season... I don't leave tracks into my spots... Might as well post it on the internet... In Jersey assholes will follow them, esp. when they see your truck parked in one spot all the time... As for busting his ass... We all have soft spots but when they present a shot, your instincts take over... Just what happens... But if snow is definately predicted I'll hump 300 lbs of corn in there (where's George's quad)... Give him some food, cause in there it will be a long cold winter... And we will continue our game of hide and seek next fall...

Sgt Fury

Sgt. Spellchecker
Shit..... We may get a foot of snow Wed... That will suck and end my hunting season... I don't leave tracks into my spots... Might as well post it on the internet... In Jersey assholes will follow them, esp. when they see your truck parked in one spot all the time... As for busting his ass... We all have soft spots but when they present a shot, your instincts take over... Just what happens... But if snow is definately predicted I'll hump 300 lbs of corn in there (where's George's quad)... Give him some food, cause in there it will be a long cold winter... And we will continue our game of hide and seek next fall...
How about still hunting an area that you’ve always wanted to scout? Snow on the ground will make them easier to see and by Friday there should be lots of tracks to follow...maybe backtrack to a bedding area. Good info to have come next season...plus you’ll still get to be in the woods.

Fletch

Supporting Member
George... I had that in mind as I'm curious to where this deer comes and goes from... Good thing is 6 day is over so most will hang back up their guns...

Reactions: Sgt Fury

Fletch

Supporting Member
So today I put some miles on walking (Nick you'd be proud) even think I figured out where Casper is bedding as I checked a camera about 3/4 of a mile away from where I've been hunting and had several pics of him... Nice to know he's come back home....
PXL_20201213_171936402.MP.jpg
PXL_20201213_171936402.MP.jpg

Fletch

Supporting Member
He’s toying with your mind!

It was fun catching up with your thread from the very beginning Rich. Kudos to you for keeping yourself fit to be able to chase deer and bears as hard as you do! Caspers a STUD! Hope you can maybe locate his sheds if he makes it.👍🏻

George.... Toying with me... Does that sound familiar???

Ric... Thanks... I'm fortunate to do what I still can.. But the way I look at it, The more I push it the longer I'll be able to... We all know once we become a couch potatoe the end is near... Hey I also pulled two hang on stands today... Now I only have one left to pull when it gets cold... I think the whole Casper journey began back in Oct. while bear hunting... He's in an area that's void of deer, so I figured he was going to disappear come the rut, in search of does... Was hoping he'd return to his home turf... Well looks like he's back... Finding his sheds will be rough as it's not farmland but instead swamps and laurel making them hard to see... He's by no means an Ohio or Illinois buck, but for a North Jersey mountain buck he's special...

Fletch

Supporting Member
Yesterday went in the am only to have the sky open up as I was getting out of truck... Got back in and went home... I don't hunt in the rain... Turned to snow and I debated going back but decided not to... Casper is under my tree at 3:30 first time out in broad daylight... Hunted this morning and passed on this buck... It's Casper or nothing...
PXL_20201215_162847615.jpg