Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Covid vaccinations

Bigcountry40

or maybe all those teachers are "sick" of playing covid games with the school district. maybe they just all decided to start Christmas break a day early. :rolleyes:Teachers have been known to use their sick days in ways that are not exactly honest. A news flash without any credible information is just more corporate media gossip. I'm pretty sure that we are all supposed to infer from that news headline that Covid is to blame.
FYI teachers can only accumulate so many sick days and then they just disappear (I believe its 220), majority of teachers especially older are typically not in the best health, there are a lot of teachers out there that are terrified of this virus. I am not one of them and had a 5 day hospital stay from most likely getting covid while at work. Sick days, personal days, holidays and summers are the perks of being a teacher, since covid the amount of work, pressure, stress, etc has probably quadrupled for teachers, ,all the while the administration and parents dump more and more on us or parents make huge assumptions blaming us for teaching crt because of a few wackos in virginia and california. So if those teachers in the inner city need an extra day, believe me they have earned it, they are tired, stressed, underappreciated and under paid.

Jamie

Ohio
FYI teachers can only accumulate so many sick days and then they just disappear (I believe its 220), majority of teachers especially older are typically not in the best health, there are a lot of teachers out there that are terrified of this virus. I am not one of them and had a 5 day hospital stay from most likely getting covid while at work. Sick days, personal days, holidays and summers are the perks of being a teacher, since covid the amount of work, pressure, stress, etc has probably quadrupled for teachers, ,all the while the administration and parents dump more and more on us or parents make huge assumptions blaming us for teaching crt because of a few wackos in virginia and california. So if those teachers in the inner city need an extra day, believe me they have earned it, they are tired, stressed, underappreciated and under paid.
FYI, I'm married to an inner city high school teacher for 25 years. I know all about it, and then some.

Reactions: 5Cent

Snyder10

Exactly.

1640102124026.png

Geezer II

Bountiful Hunting Grounds Beyond.
portage county oh
Sick days, personal days, and holidays are a negoiated part of a teachers salary. Teachers are paid for x number of contracted days, about 180 depending on the district. They are not paid for the "summers" but can have their contracted salary spread out and recieve it over the summer months.
Some districts pay teachers for some of their unsued sick days as a severance pay when they retire

Reactions: Snyder10

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Probably would of happened regardless of the circumstances….
Perhaps, but no one saw it coming. She's a nurse and got vax'd early. He's a free thinker and is still not vax'd. She took a traveling gig and told him she wasn't coming back to Ohio until he was vax'd and that he wasn't allowed to visit her until vax'd. He told her to pound salt and he'd get vax'd if/when he was ready. She escalated it to a point that he ordered the papers drawn up. Married 15+ years and that was the straw that broke the camel's back.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Sick days, personal days, and holidays are a negoiated part of a teachers salary. Teachers are paid for x number of contracted days, about 180 depending on the district. They are not paid for the "summers" but can have their contracted salary spread out and recieve it over the summer months.
Some districts pay teachers for some of their unsued sick days as a severance pay when they retire

Each time I've broken those 180 days down to an hourly rate and multiplied it out to a typical Americans 40 hour work week their yearly salary is quite respectable, throw in the benefits such as retirement and health and it's actually a great full time job, if they worked a 50 weeks year.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Perhaps, but no one saw it coming. She's a nurse and got vax'd early. He's a free thinker and is still not vax'd. She took a traveling gig and told him she wasn't coming back to Ohio until he was vax'd and that he wasn't allowed to visit her until vax'd. He told her to pound salt and he'd get vax'd if/when he was ready. She escalated it to a point that he ordered the papers drawn up. Married 15+ years and that was the straw that broke the camel's back.

Good for him sticking to his convictions. Better off without her IMO. Nobody needs a partner who gives ultimatums and is willing to threaten the marriage to get what she wants.

Geezer II

Bountiful Hunting Grounds Beyond.
portage county oh
Each time I've broken those 180 days down to an hourly rate and multiplied it out to a typical Americans 40 hour work week their yearly salary is quite respectable, throw in the benefits such as retirement and health and it's actually a great full time job, if they worked a 50 weeks year.
Teachers in Ohio can also purchase STRS credit for time served in the military - btw whatcha mean "throw in"

Last edited:
Reactions: Jamie

Jamie

Ohio
LOL, Joe, you are little off the mark with that assessment. You left out a whole bunch of things that most everyone in your shoes would not think about , or perhaps even know about. what about all the hours teachers are required to put in that are not part of their workday in the classroom actually teaching? stuff like parent/teacher conferences, duties like open house, sports events, homecoming, graduation, etc? what about all those papers they have to grade at home? what about the continuing education credits they have to earn to stay certified? Those college courses are not free. I know this because I've paid for some of them. You might want to rethink just how much you think teachers make. It's a fair living, no doubt, but it isn't quite the big fat salary, even at the top of the pay scale, that most people think. and those health insurance benefits are not free or "thrown in", they cost real money every month for mediocre coverages.