Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Covid vaccinations

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
My sister spends a statistically significant amount of her actual income after expenses on "her kids". For every dollar that actually finds itself unencumbered in her bank account, I would venture to say she spends 25% of it on stuff for her students. I understand this is a choice, but many teachers do it because it enhances the experience their students have and the schools are not going to offset that investment in the quality of the experience.

Reactions: Geezer II

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I’m not getting into a peeing match with anyone on this teacher subject... but.
My SIL makes 90k/year as an elementary teacher. She enjoys 15 weeks of summer along with all the holiday breaks nearly no one in the private sector enjoy. Due to Covid last year, she worked from home. She claimed and I’m certain it was accurate, it was a complete pain in the tail. Yet she was happy to do it again this year for the students who opted to do their studies virtually. It was a big adjustment at first, but name for me one person that has not dealt with adjustments over the last year and a half. I have no doubt there is some money spent to improve the atmosphere and experience for students. I don’t care. I could show an itemized listing of money I have spent charitably every year in our business... it falls on small business to fund every little league sports team, dance, music, not to mention near daily donations for every “benefit event” held for every person fallen on hard times. I know, we need to “give back”... I hear that most often from those who want us to give back to them. I’m not blowing my own horn, just trying to show teachers have a job to do. They are not giving their entire wage for the children... ain’t happening. Just as I am not, although I would put our percentage of “giving back” up against anyone. Teachers are teachers, they are well compensated, especially for the time involved. They are not saints. And before we start in on how much time they are able to spend working in the “off time”, just go talk to some truck driver that spent three days broke down 1000 miles from home and was not compensated a dime for his/her time... and he likely earns substantially less than the teachers he hears whining about their pitiful salary and how he needs to be paying more in taxes so they can better teach his neighbors children.
Everyone thinks their burden is heavier than the next. Personally, I like to think we all have enough to carry, but I’m not crying about mine.

Geezer II

Bountiful Hunting Grounds Beyond.
portage county oh
I’m not getting into a peeing match with anyone on this teacher subject... but.
My SIL makes 90k/year as an elementary teacher. She enjoys 15 weeks of summer along with all the holiday breaks nearly no one in the private sector enjoy. Due to Covid last year, she worked from home. She claimed and I’m certain it was accurate, it was a complete pain in the tail. Yet she was happy to do it again this year for the students who opted to do their studies virtually. It was a big adjustment at first, but name for me one person that has not dealt with adjustments over the last year and a half. I have no doubt there is some money spent to improve the atmosphere and experience for students. I don’t care. I could show an itemized listing of money I have spent charitably every year in our business... it falls on small business to fund every little league sports team, dance, music, not to mention near daily donations for every “benefit event” held for every person fallen on hard times. I know, we need to “give back”... I hear that most often from those who want us to give back to them. I’m not blowing my own horn, just trying to show teachers have a job to do. They are not giving their entire wage for the children... ain’t happening. Just as I am not, although I would put our percentage of “giving back” up against anyone. Teachers are teachers, they are well compensated, especially for the time involved. They are not saints. And before we start in on how much time they are able to spend working in the “off time”, just go talk to some truck driver that spent three days broke down 1000 miles from home and was not compensated a dime for his/her time... and he likely earns substantially less than the teachers he hears whining about their pitiful salary and how he needs to be paying more in taxes so they can better teach his neighbors children.
Everyone thinks their burden is heavier than the next. Personally, I like to think we all have enough to carry, but I’m not crying about mine.

Dang your sister is at the very top - more power to her.

How much does an Elementary Teacher make in Ohio? While ZipRecruiter is seeing salaries as high as $57,866 and as low as $16,799, the majority of Elementary Teacher salaries currently range between $28,932 (25th percentile) to $41,531 (75th percentile) with top earners (90th percentile) making $50,398 annually in Oho.

Don't know if the above is correct been out of the loop 20 years

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Substitute teachers ( no certification, just a bachelors in anything) in our poor, rural distract would earn 27,000/year if they worked every day (180) of the year. From what I’ve gathered, it would be entirely possible to do so if a person chose to.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
If you want to know, Geezer, look at Teays Valley school district. Formerly a small rural community south of Columbus. It’s fast becoming suburbia and apparently pays their teachers better than average.

Isn’t this a COVID thread? Lol
1640124869099.png

Page 32 - Post #635 and subsequent posts related........... :ROFLMAO:

Cogz

Cogz
TX
I know a gym teacher at a public school outside of akron in their 30th year making ~$80k base salary. Maybe more by now. Total comp would be well over $100k. I don’t think it’s that uncommon today.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
LOL, Joe, you are little off the mark with that assessment. You left out a whole bunch of things that most everyone in your shoes would not think about , or perhaps even know about. what about all the hours teachers are required to put in that are not part of their workday in the classroom actually teaching? stuff like parent/teacher conferences, duties like open house, sports events, homecoming, graduation, etc? what about all those papers they have to grade at home? what about the continuing education credits they have to earn to stay certified? Those college courses are not free. I know this because I've paid for some of them. You might want to rethink just how much you think teachers make. It's a fair living, no doubt, but it isn't quite the big fat salary, even at the top of the pay scale, that most people think. and those health insurance benefits are not free or "thrown in", they cost real money every month for mediocre coverages.

No doubt about it. I didnt think they make a fortune by any means but a fair living for sure. Definitely not one indicitave of all the poor mouthing that everyone always hears about when talking teacher compensation though. They really should figure out a way to stop voluntarily giving all that unaccounted for time away and get it on the books. That would make for a strong wage argument. With that should probably come some trackable in-office hours to complete it though. I can't think of any employer who would accept an employee saying "but I did all this other stuff off the clock" and demanding they get paid for it. I do think they're underpaid for the educational requirements placed on them. I don't understand why any teacher should be required to have a master's degree to teach any class to pre college kids, unless they're a counselor or something. That part makes zero sense to me.

Our teachers here are pushing for "year round" school. 6 weeks summer and two weeks off every 45 days to include holidays etc.

Last edited:

Snyder10

Gym teacher here, two degrees, masters +15. Former baseball and football coach. I can assure you…I do not make 80k nor do our administrators make 90k. Where can I apply to these districts you guys speak of?!

Reactions: Chancegriffis

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Teays Valley is one.

One of my bird hunting buddies teaches 20 miles east of our little town. It would cost him nearly 20k/year to switch to our district. I’ve not spent any time looking into it since my job is not related to teaching in anyway, but it’s apparent to me if income is a factor and you are qualified, look elsewhere.

Reactions: Big_Holla

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
My sister spends a statistically significant amount of her actual income after expenses on "her kids". For every dollar that actually finds itself unencumbered in her bank account, I would venture to say she spends 25% of it on stuff for her students. I understand this is a choice, but many teachers do it because it enhances the experience their students have and the schools are not going to offset that investment in the quality of the experience.

It's quite unfortunate that such things have become so common in the school system. Ohioans pay a considerable amount per pupil in education taxes. 16th in the nation for per pupil cost and an average of 13k per kid. Per year. For that to be so common it just goes to show that the money is not reaching the people that matter, the kids.

Cogz

Cogz
TX
most public schools make more than private. I also think within public there is a demographic component to compensation. But of course, much of the influence is layered. Union. District. Levy votes. Etc.