Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Brock and Mason... continued

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
Wonderful to see how far you have brought him.
Also, I know how badly you want to be there for the kill but the fact you trusted him out there to make good decisions says a lot.

Good job!
The picture above is great!

rsmith

I don't have anyone that hunts in my immediate family but my girlfriends dad hunts but we have never hunted together before. I would love to hunt with someone especially when I was first starting out. I feel like I am missing out on a big part of something that most hunters have gone through and that is a father/ grandfather/ mentor to take them out in the woods and help them one on one. He will do good Brock seems like you taught him well!

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
Extremely Good Stuff Brock! Its easy from my side, but I wouldn't worry about Mason one bit. You can tell he thinks before he acts. I TOO hope he nails the big 8, thats a nice deer! Let him know I am rootin' for him all the way!

Good stuff Brock!! Thinking about my dad and I when I started bowhunting he would have me sit 80-100 yards away so I always hunted alone so-to-speak. Big difference nowadays with the laws and all. Really enjoy the time with the kids sitting side by side now. Not sure how I will feel when they're off doing their own thing.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
So tonight was fun. I dropped Mason and has buddy Ike off at the groundblind set up that he hunted last night. I went on to a stand in a fencerow after enjoying a half mile hike through standing corn. I had seen a doe and fawn and then Mason called to say he shot the 8 point. He said he shot him an inch or two higher than he should have, but was sure he was still in the lungs. I gathered up my gear and made the hike, waited on Ike's dad to show up and we went to look. Mason said his arrow blew through the deer and he was right. Ike found the arrow a solid ten yards behind the point of impact. There was very, very little blood. We have not found a speck anywhere. Ike was videoing when Mason shot, but flinched when the bow went off so the impact is not shown. I had Mason show me exactly where he hit the deer on the below pic, and Ike agreed. The boy was just an inch or so too high. I'll bet 100 bucks we have pics of him again inside of a week, but I'll do the obligatory long walk in the morning. It sucks, but I'm sure the deer will be just fine based on the information I have. If he's dead, I'll find him in the morning. All the fun, none of the mess. And, for what it's worth, in my next life, all my broadheads will be manufactured by Hornady!

Attachments

• MFDC9133.jpg
    MFDC9133.jpg
    270.6 KB · Views: 125

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Awesome hunt!!!! Sounds like it went great and he made a great shot! Hope you find this dandy nice buck for Mason tomorrow morning Brock but if you don't I hope your right and he's okay! GOOD LUCK in the morning!!!

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I bet he's dead. I sure hope you guys find him. A couple inches high, shot from the ground, clean pass thru... sounds just like a doe I shot 5 or 6 years ago. Same exact scenario. I watched her fall and die about 70 yards away from the point of impact. I never found a single spot of blood between where I shot her and where she fell over. High entrance and high exit...they just fill up inside and fall over dead before it spills out.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
You guys may be right, and I'll wear my boots out, but looking at the arrow makes me think not. He watched him run 80 yards or so before turning into the timber. He said the tail was down and he was hauling it. He didn't think he went far after going into the woods. I checked it along with Clint and found nothing, but looking at night even with good lights, is not easy. I've shot deer that left no sign and little on the arrow and found them, but I don't know that I've had this little on an arrow... who knows. As you guys know, from the ground, you basically have the bottom half of the body to hit with an arrow. He was above center, and that is not conducive to killing. I hope I find it, but I would be extremely surprised.

Joel

Centerburg, Ohio
The one I shot last year was high and there was no blood on the ground and none on the deer except right at the two holes in him. I found him in the morning 50 yards in front of my blind.

Good luck in the morning!! Hope you find him.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
This is a pic I snapped from the video. They were up close and personal for sure. After the shot you hear young Ike say , " Hey Mason, he's gonna die dude". Haha. I hope I find him buy even if I don't, they won't forget today for a mighty long time.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 123

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Heck of a buck! Hope y'all find him in the morning Brock. When y'all do cape him quick and get it cooled down. The meat probably won't be salvageable but the cape should be fine long as he's not out in the sun. Good luck bud, I wish I could come down.