Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Brock and Mason... continued

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I look forward to more updates in this thread. Those are some real nice deer on the card pull even if not the ones you were hoping for.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I have nothing real exciting to post regarding deer. They are still eating apples, I'm running low. My apple spots did not produce as well this year. I have 6 five gallon buckets full and about that many more to get, then they will be gone... sad, sorta. I have the same deer coming to the apple pile. There are some nice ones, but nothing fantastic. I'm about to broaden the search, put out a couple more cameras and cover some ground.

Mason and I have killed a few squirrels, and the frog hunting continues. He killed three last night. I made him a new, much heavier dart. I fashioned a barbed broadhead on the end of it too, which is apparently a nasty little addition. It kills em dead, sometimes, and even if it doesn't, they are stuck on the dart and much easier to retrieve. Big fun.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Great stuff guys! Looking forward to later updates from you two! My money is on you to find the big boys...:smiley_coolpeace:

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Today is a big day, one I can't say I've looked forward to. Mason is going hunting without dear ol dad in tow. I am short staffed at the pizza joint tonight, and we have been crazy busy here. It's the first day of season, I haven't missed opening day for a mighty long time, but I can't get away today. Mason is going, taking his buddy, Kade, along to video tape the adventure. I'm confident in his ability and decision making, he's a good boy and far more mature and cautious with hunting tools than many adults. I know he will be safe and they will have a great time.

As anyone that has read my previous journals knows, Mason has shown a ton of discipline over the last couple of years in hopes of getting a shot at a once in a lifetime kinda deer. It hasn't panned out, but he's learned an awful lot, and so have I. He wants to kill something, and there are a couple of candidates that are likely to give him the opportunity tonight. With him hunting on his own, having a buddy with him to video it, I'd guess that if given the chance tonight, he's going to make one leak...even if it has less bone on it's head than deer he has passed the last couple of years. Who cares, it's just for fun anyway.

I checked a camera just a little bit ago. The deer he thinks is Beans was there all night along with a really pretty 8. I think the 8 is the pervert from last season, he seems to be awful assertive. And the 8 is not afraid of showing himself with plenty of daylight. He was last there at 730 or so this morning, and is likely bedded within 100 yards of the blind right now. Mason said he wants to see him in the flesh before deciding what to do. I'm betting he will shoot if he sees the deer. The last couple months have been pretty dang rough on our family, and I'd like to see the kid put that deer down, just to see him smile and enjoy the moment!

Here he is this morning. Today, he will do, I think.

Attachments

• MFDC8685.jpg
    MFDC8685.jpg
    263.1 KB · Views: 107

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
That's a dandy nice 8!!!! Hate to hear you won't be with him tonight Brock but it's cool his buddy will be there with him and videoing the hunt!!! Good luck to them tonight! I feel very positive something will happen tonight...:smiley_coolpeace:

Dustinb80

#FACKCANCER
Supporting Member
S.W. Ohio
Excellent. I haven't met y'all yer bit I'm looking forward to it. From what I've read and heard, I think he'll be just fine.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Thanks guys! I just dropped them off. That was strange. He's in a hole that is hit or miss with cell coverage. It will drive me nuts if he can't get texts in and out. haha.

LonewolfNopack

The woods
Mason is really special Brock. I enjoyed watching him dove hunt and his attitude and ethic. Not to mention a better shot then dear old dad. Either hes a natural or you really did something right raising him up. Probably a combination of both.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Yeah, can't wait till he goes to college so I can get back to hunting with a rifle from a pickup truck! Ha

Mason and Kade had a great hunt. They had a doe walk up to the blind Mason was in. He said she was within a foot of him. She eventually found her way to the bait pile. He did not shoot. They later saw a small buck and managed not to spook either deer. We have a baseball game tomorrow but will likely go out afterwards. I think we will split up tomorrow evening too. Time to spread his wings I suppose.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I've been patiently waiting for this update! Thought for sure some slunger was spraying lung blood out his nostrils tonight! Lol

Sounds like a great sit they had!! Looking forward to his next sit!

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I thought his chances were good tonight too, especially since he is ready to kill something. He will be in the same spot tomorrow, so who knows. Good chance something will die soon.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I snapped this when I dropped them off. It seemed like a photo worthy moment to me.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    6.2 KB · Views: 116