Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Team #5 - Whiskey Bent & Wallbound

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Sweet deal Boon and Gern.. Way to put it on the board this weekend... I may head out to one of my doe killing spots this week and try to nail a slick head. After having deer all around me this weekend in my buck only zone. I'm itching to kill something.

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
Will I need to get measurements for my son's buck or do I just need a picture to show for bonus points?? Will his buck have points included for beam length and mass etc. or will we just get a standard number of points for youth bonus?

I'm too lazy to read the rules, sorry.

huntn2

Hudson, OH
Will I need to get measurements for my son's buck or do I just need a picture to show for bonus points?? Will his buck have points included for beam length and mass etc. or will we just get a standard number of points for youth bonus?

I'm too lazy to read the rules, sorry.

Just a picture is needed Chad. It is just the bonus points for taking a youth out. No differentiation on success with the youth bonus.

Congrats to you and your boy!

Boone

*Supporting Member*
N.E. O-H-I-O
Thanks guys.

Way to go little Gern! I bet you're still grinning from ear to ear.

I can't believe all of this mid-week rain. I think things should start picking up this weekend and I will have to ask twice and beg pretty please to try and get out Friday and Saturday nights when the weather gets better.

5Cent

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
North Central Ohio
Thanks guys.

Way to go little Gern! I bet you're still grinning from ear to ear.

I can't believe all of this mid-week rain. I think things should start picking up this weekend and I will have to ask twice and beg pretty please to try and get out Friday and Saturday nights when the weather gets better.

The weather is looking great for North Central Ohio, I am pumped to get into the stand tonight! I'll be back at it tomorrow evening and will try to fit a morning hunt one of the weekend days.

I got a nice little 8pt on camera, and ying yang has been back. They are definitley covering some ground now, and I hope even more now that it's dry. Might have to bust out the antlers this weekend TOO!

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
I went out last night and hunted my fencerow that is surrounded by corn....about 6 oclock I hear a cornstalk snap about 50 yards to my southwest. I start scanning the area and spot some movement. I quickly realised it was a buck working his way in to the fencerow and my heart starts beating fast because I can see 5 nice tines. It took the buck a few minutes to get to the edge of the fencerow. When he got there he immediately started making a scrape. He took his sweet old time and worked his way down within 25 yards of me and then went through the fencerow to the north side and continued his scraping activity. He eventually turned and came right past me at about 7 yards and made several other scrapes. I gave him the pass card tonight, he was a 5x4 9 pointer that had real good brow tines. I am guessing a 3-1/2 year old that grosses about 135. I just couldn't do it this early knowing I got pictures of that bigger 10 point in the same spot. I did manage to take 3 pictures of him with the cell phone camera as he was in range, I will download those later.

This buck went down the fencerow to the east scraping all the way, then eventually made his way back past me about 1/2 hour later and worked a scrape right in front of my Moultrie I-90 I think...because he was at the end of the fencerow well after dark and I could hear him breaking brush. I stayed in the stand until 7:45, didn't want to take a chance on spooking him since he was only 50 yards away.

It's officially time boys to start hunting those scrapes! I hope to get back in there tonight.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Sweet deal gern. I know what you mean about letting them walk. I had a solid 120 class 8 infront of me last night. He went back to my left in the thick stuff. Then right at last legal light I had a big bodied deer step out.. Stood in my lane for a couple minutes.. I could see rack. But wasn't sure if it was that smaller 8 again.. He was under a canopy of honeysuckle and it was just too dark right there.. I let him walk on up to the field about 45 yards... Now in the field I could see him better but I don't have a shot over there.. He lifted his head for the licking branch.... A solid 150 class deer... I about cried... 15 yards just standing there... Lol.. Oh well... I know if I would have shot he would have magically turned back into that small 8 pt soon as I released.

Seen 5 slick heads so far this am.

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
Good luck Joe. I think you will get a shot there in the next few days, possibly tonight....just need him to show up a few minutes sooner.

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
I was back in the fencerow stand last night.......didn't see a thing, just as I was getting ready to let the bow down I hear something walking in the corn about 50 yards to the west....Shit! Sure enough it was a buck because he went to the fencerow and I could hear him making a scrape. I held tight for a couple minutes and the wind picked up. I thought it would be a good time to slip out of there while he was upwind of me so I reach over to grab the bow rope and I hear him coming down the edge of the corn........I search in the low light and pick out movement about 20 yds away. He is making another scrape. I just held still and watched him until he finished that scrape and headed back to the west end of the fencerow. I thought, "now is the time to get out of here". I gathered up my stuff and lowered the bow and started down the steps......just as I got about 1/3 the way down I heard something coming again! So I am suspended on the side of the tree and here comes the buck again! Except this time he is standing 5 yards north of me and begins to open up a new scrape. I could see just enough to tell that it was probably that 10 pointer that I am targeting...... I just stayed put on the side of the tree while he worked his scrape. Finally he went back into the corn a few rows and worked his way back to the west. I got down and snuck out of there best I could......

If he would have shown up 10 minutes sooner, I am almost sure I could have killed him. I hope to get there today and check the card on the camera to confirm which buck it was.

Here is the picture of the 9 pointer from Saturday night that was under me.......

Last edited:

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
Awesome report Gern!! You'll have that guy soon enough

I almost guarantee I could get a shot at him if I could hunt the next 4 nights in a row.......the bad thing is I don't know when I will get to hunt again.

Right now I could take off work and hunt mornings, but evenings are the time to kill a buck coming out of a cornfield. I am going to check the camera today at lunch to see if there is any morning activity there.

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
No morning activity there.....I got pictures of 3 more bucks though....a couple of retarded looking things, all in the evening or after dark.

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
Gern, how you liking that smoker???? :smiley_crocodile:

I like it so far, I really haven't had a chance yet to say for sure it helped me out, but I like the way the smoke covers everything. I take my boots and turn them upside down over the smoke and fill the inside of them with smoke.....the inside of your boots is a place that carries a lot of bad odors.