Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Team #5 - Whiskey Bent & Wallbound

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
Funny stuff! Lots of action too!!!

Good luck on getting the boy one... Oh, and yourself too. ;)

I am having fun just trying to get him one right now.....I figure if he can get one within the next 2 weeks then I can concentrate on filling a tag. It's too hot right now anyway for me and if he can get a shot while it is warm that will be a bonus too. I think tonite something could die.

5Cent

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
North Central Ohio
I am having fun just trying to get him one right now.....I figure if he can get one within the next 2 weeks then I can concentrate on filling a tag. It's too hot right now anyway for me and if he can get a shot while it is warm that will be a bonus too. I think tonite something could die.

Good look Gern and son. You're gonna have that boy hooked!

I stuck a doe last night around 5:40ish. It was out of the stand and she was only about 8yrds away and quartering away. The shot was high and penetration wasn't that great b/c the arrow went through the lungs and into the opposite side shoulder blade. I was able to get on the blood trail quickly and after about 30yrds I was finding real good blood where she was stopping and caughing, lots of air bubbles. I tracked her another 70yrds or so due north onto one neighbors property and then she turned east on to the other neighbors property that I am not allowed on. It has been made clear in past conversations that he will not allow hunting, but I believe he would let me retrieve a deer if asked.

I marked the last blood and jumped into the truck to go talk with him. When I arrived at his house, I noticed his truck was gone and knew I was going to be in a tough spot. I made the decision to not tresspass and chance having someone call the sheriff on me (all the neighbors know no one is to be on his land), and decided to stop the search. A hard decision indeed but not worth ruining a possible good relationship over. Before getting back into the stand, I am going to have a conversation with him and try and get him to sign a slip for deer retrieval only. I feel I did everything I could in my power, but there is still that feeling of shame. I know I could have called the ODNR and sheriff and forced things that way, but in my eyes starting a neighbor fued is not worth it.

Good luck guys and keep the info coming.

camofry

*Supporting Member*
Definitely toasty out there, and the weekend is not looking better. Good luck tomorrow Boone, glad to hear you're seeing deer. Hopefully ya get a shot at one.

Gern that's great you're takin the boy! Love those bonus pts. Can't wait to take my son hunting someday.

Camofry, ya still with us?

I'm heading out here after I finish this Yuengling...time to smoke up and turn the thermacell on.........this is not hunting.......IS IT SNOWING YET! Good luck this weekend gents. Here's to bringin down some brown:smiley_cheers:

Still here, I spoked 4 big does this morning ,right at the stand when I got there. I got a feeling guys, there will be some deer down this coming week. Crops are starting to leave the feilds around here FAST.

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
After seeing 9 deer on Friday night and having 3 bucks inside 25 yards I had high hopes for last night, the conditions were identical.....80 degrees with a very light south wind. I brought the thermacell along this time and we didn't have any mosquito problems in the blind......bad news is we didn't see a single deer last night either. It looks like the moon is nearing the full position. I think that had something to do with it.

5Cent

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
North Central Ohio
Good to hear from you camofry! Good luck and keep us posted.

I'm still pissed I had to give up on that doe Friday, but thankfully I was able to talk to my neighbor for quite a while today and got him to sign a slip for retreival only....I'll be back in the stand as soon as the weather cooperates:pickle:

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
That's awesome to hear guys... I'm sitting in about a 10 acre hillside. Corn above. Corn below. Corn to the east. And corn to the west... First time in this spot. Not much happening right now.. Think maybe I should pour some corn out? lmao.

Boone

*Supporting Member*
N.E. O-H-I-O
Great updates guys.
Gern-- I'm glad you and your son had a good hunt. I'm sure he get one soon. We need a good frost as the mosquitos are annoying around here as well. I had deer out in front of me Saturday night in the stand and got bit a few times because I couldn't move to shoo them away.
5cent-- Tough luck on that doe. At least you can get it next time.
camofry-- good to here you got out, maybe you'll get there before them next time.
jackalope-- Sounds like you have been out a lot. No does to shoot yet or are you holding out on a doe till later in the year?

Boone

*Supporting Member*
N.E. O-H-I-O
I got out Saturday night and sat near one of the plots I planted. It was a fun evening, but it was still too hot to shoot anything other than a nice buck, but I didn't have any opportunities. I just got settled into my stand and was looking at the latest game camera pictures without my gloves or headnet on trying to cool down from the walk when I glanced up and saw a doe feeding in the plot about fifty yards away! Great hunter I am...didn't even hear her or catch here motion. I slowly got ready and five minutes later another one wandered in, a button buck. Ten minutes after that two big does came in like they were spooked from somewhere elsae and all four left through the far corner. Later I had a crab claw five point pass by at 10 yards. With about ten minutes left of shooting time the neighbors spooked a nice buck towards me, but he cut down a trail in to the thick woods about 75 yards from me. Still waiting for the cooldown. Last time I couldn't take any pictures because the camera went dead too soon after I turned it on.

I'll have to add the photos later.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Boone.. I've had a couple shots.. I'll shoot my 15 dollar tags later. Then save one either sex for some January bowhunting. Hopefully that's the way it goes.

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
Gern,
Your son is already a killer, right? He got a doe last year didn't he?

Yes he did, but it was with a gun. He also killed a nice longbeard this spring. I have no doubt he will kill a buck this year....just getting the stars to align is the hard part. With someone young like him, it is really hard to get a buck within range and be at the right shot angle at the same time while getting the buck to hold still long enough to get on him and make a shot.

He has matured as a hunter a ton since last year.....now he gives me a hard time if I make a little noise in the blind. The bonding time you can have with your kids while hunting is better than any other activity I have seen, including playing ball. Here is a picture of him in the blind Saturday evening after I just got done painting his face.......I let him paint my face also.

My priorities have changed somewhat this year with respect to getting him more involved with being out hunting. I will make time for myself later, but for right now priority one is getting him a deer.

Boone

*Supporting Member*
N.E. O-H-I-O
Attached are some of my pictures from Saturday night...

Attachments

• 1230-1.jpg
    1230-1.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 149
  • 1221.jpg
    1221.jpg
    170.7 KB · Views: 144
  • 1220.jpg
    1220.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 148

Boone

*Supporting Member*
N.E. O-H-I-O
I took my youngest boy out hunting last night after dinner as he has been begging me to take him for a while. I figured I better take him soon before it gets cold because I really don’t have any cold weather camo gear that would fit him. Last night was a perfect evening to take him out as it was cooling off and mostly cloudy for the west facing stand we were going to sit in. I don’t have a ground blind, so a large ladder stand would have to do. I had to tighten my safety belt all the way down to fit him, and even then it was still a little loose, but effective. He’s all boy so he started climbing/running up the ladder like a squirrel even before I had a chance to give him instructions. There wasn’t quite enough room for the two of us on the seat, so I sat on the platform and he on the seat. It was awkward, but doable. Not five minutes after we got settled overlooking a clearing we had made in the past in a thicket, a doe snorted in the brush. We were down whatever little wind we had so I don’t know what her problem was. Five minutes later she appeared on a path coming to the clearing. I tapped him on his knee and pointed. I heard him whisper “Dad, it’s a doe” and then he went into statue mode like I taught him. Then another doe and a fawn popped out behind the lead doe. They wandered around the far edge of the clearing out of range for a half hour. I managed to pull out my camera and get one picture. I couldn’t believe he didn’t spook them and sat as still as he did. After they worked away from us, he said he wanted them to come back closer so we could shoot one. He also couldn’t believe all the noises chipmunks make for their size. I think he is hooked now. We got down with a little light left because I didn’t want him to descend in the dark, although he could probably do it better than me. Not a bad way to start a kid’s career……

Attachments

• 035.jpg
    035.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 142
  • 030.jpg
    030.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 143
  • 220.jpg
    220.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 141

5Cent

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
North Central Ohio
Very cool Boone and Gern. Teaching those boys right from the beginning!

I got out last night, but only had a yearling come in. She hung around for about 40mins between 2 different times. I'm pumped to see this rain and colder weather move in. I hope the wind doesn't get TOO bad this Friday & Saturday. Good luck guys!

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
Took the boy out again last night. Full moon was in effect so I didn't have high hopes. Just as we are about to leave the ground blind and head for the truck a doe and 2 yearlings walk in out in front of us. There was just enough shooting light, but they were about 35 yards....too far for me to let him shoot. We waited about 15 more minutes and left and bumped a deer on the way out.

Boone

*Supporting Member*
N.E. O-H-I-O
I snuck out Friday before the wind really kicked up and shot a doe. :pickle:
We had intermittent showers and I don’t have hood on my jacket so I was curled up with my head under the collar during a shot of rain at one point until it stopped. When I pulled my jacket back down, I noticed movement behind me that turned out to be two does and two fawns. The fawns came right in and started feeding in front of me, but the older deer hung back for what seemed forever. Finally one of the does worked her way up the trial and out in front of me. When she moved behind a tree I got into position to shoot. She stopped quartering away at about ten yards and the rest is history.

Attachments

• drv210.jpg
    drv210.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 146