Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Numbers.. Ohio's 2011-12 White-tailed Deer Season -8%

Diablo54

Outside
Its funny mountaineer that you speak of greed. Do you not travels several hours to come hunt Ohio deer bucks? You could hunt close to where you live, save time and gas, but you choose to come up here for a chance at a bigger buck???

That would be too hard since he can use rifles over there

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
That would be too hard since he can use rifles over there

Yeah. So the guy who has harped on the rest of us for years for being cheaters because we hunt private land and do things the easy way, is now telling us he willing chooses the "easier" way to hunt. What a hypocrite!!!

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
That's the most ignorant thing I have heard on TOO to date. SMH...

I agree! Take your meds Paul, bow easier than gun?

I agree with those who pursuit deer with bow because of the peace,solitude and challenge of beating a whitetails nose at much closer ranges.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I would bet all the money i have that Just about all of you would prefer to hunt in bow season. Why?..Because its easier:)

You are arguing just for the sake of arguing now. Contradicting yourself left and right. Maybe it is time for a break from the computer? I think you should head to the Doc and get your meds checked. Be sure to ask them about Oppositional Defiant Disorder.

Milo

Tatonka guide.
What differnce does it make what weapon you have in your hand if the deer are not moving? The bottom line is..The deer move more in daylight hours in bow season..I see 10 times more deer in Bow season compared to gun season. Gun season is a nightmare.

Its not what weapon one has in his hand but rather the state of mind of the deer.
if your hunting method for gun is the same as it is in archery then I would tend to agree with you somewhat. I will agree/admit i do have better sightings in bow than gun but i refuse to run deer like rabbits and shoot them. not my cup of tea.

Mountaineer

Banned
WV
Hicks lol..Yeah maybe...but you guys are so out of touch that i cant resist.:)

Jesse..

Its more about oppurtunities...More oppurtunities in Bow compared to gun..at least where i hunt that is...Gun season for me is a really a one day event. Its an absolute nightmare how many hunters enter the woods and disturb things...Deer react to this quickly. They react to pressure quickly and on the flip side they react to No pressure quickly.

Last edited:

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
It's too late Mountaineer.......

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Jesse..

Its more about oppurtunities...More oppurtunities in Bow compared to gun..at least where i hunt that is...Gun season for me is a really a one day event. Its an absolute nightmare how many hunters enter the woods and disturb things...Deer react to this quickly. They react to pressure quickly and on the flip side they react to No pressure quickly.

Bullshit Paul. Its not about opportunities. You said it was about "ease". If you want to argue opportunities, then I might agree considering I bowhunt 40 days and gun hunt 6 or 7 days. Given the time spent doing both, I might have more opportunities with my bow. That wasn't the case this year, but has been in the past. However you stated it was "easier" to kill one with a bow as opposed to a gun and that's flat nonsense.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Now I'm in agreement with opportunities increase dramatically mainly because of less hunting pressure and more ass time in the stand during bowseason but certainly not the bowkilling is easier than shotgun or muzzy killing.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
xbow..

Its called "One a Day TOO Beating"

Well, you got an overdose of medicine today.rotflmao

More opportunities during bow? Of course. Season is much longer. Easier? I disagree. I like bow season because it IS more of a challenge. I also like it because I have more opportunities to sit in a tree stand. Early season CAN be good because they are more relaxed. Then again, the most mature bucks around here seem to come out just at last light or a tad after. They do not move due to pressure of guys pushing them. It is harder to control your scent due to higher temps. There are a lot of factors which can be argued both directions as to which is easier. To me, gun season is WAY easier.

To bring this full circle, (and maybe give Mountaineer a chance to slide out of here to avoid anymore beatings) maybe we should try to get back on track. Deer season numbers. The nearly 4 months of opportunity probably is part of the problem with the over harvest of deer. As much as I would hate to lose some of my seat time in the tree, shortening the bow season is a sacrifice I would be willing to take if it means there is a viable herd there for my kids to hunt in the future.

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
Shortening gun seasons or taking away the bonus weekend would have a larger impact on kill numbers than shortening bow season.