Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Numbers.. Ohio's 2011-12 White-tailed Deer Season -8%

LonewolfNopack

The woods
On second thought, maybe we should kill as many does as possible. If some big shots within the DOW really want us to have NO deer in Ohio, lets make it happen. Maybe when license sales plummet because people get tired of watching leaves fall and the almighty $$ go's away, they will allow us to regrow our herd and enjoy hunting like we use too. I say a good place to start with this massive doe elimination would be Athens county around the Strouds Run area. That seems to be where they are all at.

Last edited:

Schu72

Streetsboro
Shooting them and just not scoring them would be somewhat hipocritical and would do nothing to improve the population. How about just not shooting them. If we want to get a sound point across, we cant be doing one thing and saying another. I know around here if I do not shoot it that it will be dead as soon as it jumps the fence or gets to a road, but hey you have got to start somewhere.

I don't think anyone is saying that we should not be shooting any antlerless deer (except maybe for those in Zone A). But including them in a contest for points maybe misinterpruted, especialy if you are scoring multiple. Some guys are fortunate enough to hunt properties that can withstand numerous antlerless deer being removed, while others are not.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I don't think anyone is saying that we should not be shooting any antlerless deer (except maybe for those in Zone A). But including them in a contest for points maybe misinterpruted, especialy if you are scoring multiple. Some guys are fortunate enough to hunt properties that can withstand numerous antlerless deer being removed, while others are not.

Agreed. i have one property with a decent amount of does. The other three are not so much this way. I will reassess my properties with trail cameras and road scouting before next season. At this time I will decide which properties are buck only. Not saying we are void of deer. Just saying, I have to have the self discipline NOT to shoot them if it is on a property which doesn't have many.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Agreed. i have one property with a decent amount of does. The other three are not so much this way. I will reassess my properties with trail cameras and road scouting before next season. At this time I will decide which properties are buck only. Not saying we are void of deer. Just saying, I have to have the self discipline NOT to shoot them if it is on a property which doesn't have many.

At this point, I only have one doe property and it is an "urban" spot. My parents place, our farm, and my uncles are all "NO DOE" this fall. I am attempting to locate a couple other properties that will allow me to fill the freezer, but that's an uphill battle at best...

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
On second thought, maybe we should kill as many does as possible. If some big shots within the DOW really want us to have NO deer in Ohio, lets make it happen. Maybe when license sales plummet because people get tired of watching leaves fall and the almighty $$ go's away, they will allow us to regrow our herd and enjoy hunting like we use too. I say a good place to start with this massive doe elimination would be Athens county around the Strouds Run area. That seems to be where they are all at.

That's already in the plans.. We plan to have a organized Bowhunt in the Athens area next season.. We're going to have a doe contest.. Biggest, smallest and, most will all have a prize.. According to Rex and Tonk who both live there they have enough of them in Atens so it shouldn't be a problem..

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member

This should be all you need to hear to show that the ONLY factor the DNR uses in moving zones and determining herd size is kill numbers..

"The deer population in seven counties in western Ohio has grown, for example, so the Ohio Department of Natural Resources proposes allowing hunters to take two deer this fall, rather than the current one, in Auglaize, Darke, Mercer, Miami, Montgomery, Preble and Shelby counties.

Because the deer population has declined in Madison County, ODNR proposes reducing the limit from two deer to one per hunter during the upcoming hunting season, Tonkovich said."

It's the same old dumbassedness ""Killing more deer = There are more deer"" and "Killing less deer = the is Less deer" :smiley_depressive:

Mountaineer

Banned
WV
I think the high doe allocations and kill off will only destroy the quality of bucks Ohio is known for...The problem is the large Hunter base...The large base has to be sustained. When deer numbers fall below a certain threshold..The herd cant sustain itself and bucks cant get to maturity.

Ive seen this happen in PA..The herd has been so reduced there that it cant sustain the tremendous amount of hunters afield. Even tho there is an antler restriction, It still cant produce bucks of 3.5 years of age within the herd. I wouldnt step foot in PA and hunt especially on their publiclands. Noway in hell will that happen. My $ goes to OHIO right now but if things were to change for the worse and become Unsustainable..Myself and my $ will move on.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Same article was in the Dispatch on Saturday... very misleading headline to say the least.

That's ok... Lies will only be their undoing.. That's the problem.. They need to get out ahead of this thing.. But they need to be very careful what comes out of their mouth.. Because bet your bottom dollar I'll be there to call em out on it with DATA..

I did notice this though

"""State wildlife officials say the herd is not too large and they are managing it effectively.""

Huh.. Wha??

So they are going through herd reduction efforts, but the herd is not too large?? lmao

Last edited:

Milo

Tatonka guide.
something does not pass the sniff test on madison county i can tell you that much.

mrex

*Supporting member*
That's already in the plans.. We plan to have a organized Bowhunt in the Athens area next season.. We're going to have a doe contest.. Biggest, smallest and, most will all have a prize.. According to Rex and Tonk who both live there they have enough of them in Atens so it shouldn't be a problem..

In all seriousness, this is an excellent idea. If you’d like to pull a page out of my play book and make doe hunting even more exciting, here’s how I’ve done it in the past. Have all the participants throw money in a hat. Have a pre hung number of stands equal to the number of hunters and then draw for the spots. The hunters could change the positioning of the stand but they couldn’t change trees.

The last time I did this was in January a few years ago. I invited 7 hunters, (8 including myself), and we all threw in $50 each. We drew for 8 stands I had pre hung. The rules were simply an aggregate poundage hunt for the entire weekend. A button buck disqualified the hunter and a shed buck was punishable by death. The first weekends “would be” winner was disqualified for shooting a BB at last light on Sunday evening. Rather than pay 2nd place, we decided to push and do it again the next weekend. In 2 weekends of doe hunting, 8 guys killed 14 does and one button buck. No deer were shot and not recovered. The only downside to the event, (other than the BB), was that my friend who won is a millionaire many times over…like Donald Trump winning the lottery…

Milo

Tatonka guide.
In all seriousness, this is an excellent idea. If you’d like to pull a page out of my play book and make doe hunting even more exciting, here’s how I’ve done it in the past. Have all the participants throw money in a hat. Have a pre hung number of stands equal to the number of hunters and then draw for the spots. The hunters could change the positioning of the stand but they couldn’t change trees.

The last time I did this was in January a few years ago. I invited 7 hunters, (8 including myself), and we all threw in $50 each. We drew for 8 stands I had pre hung. The rules were simply an aggregate poundage hunt for the entire weekend. A button buck disqualified the hunter and a shed buck was punishable by death. The first weekends “would be” winner was disqualified for shooting a BB at last light on Sunday evening. Rather than pay 2nd place, we decided to push and do it again the next weekend. In 2 weekends of doe hunting, 8 guys killed 14 does and one button buck. No deer were shot and not recovered. The only downside to the event, (other than the BB), was that my friend who won is a millionaire many times over…like Donald Trump winning the lottery…
Isn't that what got the SAINTS in trouble?

LonewolfNopack

The woods

Keep us updated. I can taste the straps from a young button buck already. Hey, as long as its antlers are not over 3 inches it is hitting the ground. As many deer that exist in that area, it shouldn't hurt a darn thing.

Last edited:

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member

Good Idea Mike but I think we're going to run it like a local big buck contest. Post it up in all the shops and stations, make it open to the public, with prizes like an Ipad for each category.. I like the tree idea but I think we're going to make it a geographic area.. Registration before the hunt, and prizes for largest antlerless, smallest antlerless, and most antlerless by total weight.. Maybe we'll do one in Early archery and another during Muzzy.. Except muzzy we'll do smallest and largest as peoples tags will be limited by then, it wouldn't be fair to do "Most antlerless by weight"..

Last edited:

mrex

*Supporting member*
Good Idea Mike but I think we're going to run it like a local big buck contest. Post it up in all the shops and stations, make it open to the public, with prizes like an Ipad for each category.. I like the tree idea but I think we're going to make it a geographic area.. Registration before the hunt, and prizes for largest antlerless, smallest antlerless, and most antlerless by total weight.. Maybe we'll do one in Early archery and another during Muzzy.. Except muzzy we'll do smallest and largest as peoples tags will be limited by then, it wouldn't be fair to do "Most antlerless by weight"..

If you do it that way you’ll have to have an entry fee, or at a minimum, get some type of corporate sponsor like Big City Pizza to donate the prizes…unless you plan to finance the event yourself. I think you’ll get more participation if the playing field is level. Everybody knows that the reason some hunters succeed when others do not is directly proportional to their resources to gain access to the best ground. There has to be some “luck of the draw” to keep it fair and exciting.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Lets just get one thing clear...Big City Pizza will not be a corporate sponsor of any of this nonsense. I am gonna be in it to win it, and will not have anyone saying I won due to my affilitation with any corporate sponsor!

If there is going to be a contest, I think you (Joe) need to get a thread started on it to iron out the details and rules.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
It is likely the best pizza you will ever eat, Beener, but it is much easier to buy than win... Open till 10 Monday through Saturday, closed Sunday. Glad I could help. :)