Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

FS First sheds of the year a MATCH!

JOHNROHIO

Participation Trophy Winner
I've been really looking over those two nice sheds I found the other day and I'm not 100% sure if it's a match. The mass is close but the beams curve slightly different and the colors are a hair off. We'll see.

Awesome start to the year. That's more than I seem to find in a year. If the two big ones are not a match, that just means that you will hopefully have two very nice deer to choose from in the fall.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Found #12 today but after walking 5 more miles. I hunted for a total of 5.5 hours today and feel like a whipped pup. I did come across a neat thing while walking a small point. I found this monument stone leaning up against a tree. Here are the two pics:

The guy lived from 1787 to 1849 in case you can't read it.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Great finds there Ric. I would be doing some looking in the local library archives after finding that stone. Curiosity would get the better of me lmao.

LonewolfNopack

The woods
Awesome job man. So do you hunt all your properties on a two week rotational basis?? I know that would be the most effective probably, but it would just be hard for me to go back with any seriousness and recheck and area that I had already given the all clear. I guess it is just a confidence thing for me.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Thanks again guys. The two big sheds are definitely off two different deer. I believe beyond all shadow of doubt that they are both offsprings of Bonehead and Splits. They have not dropped their other sides on the property I found these halves on. I do believe they are down but prolly somewhere within a square mile from where I found these two. I just covered some great property across the road that I do have permission to shed hunt on and found nothing. I walked a steady 2 hours and covered some awesome ground but to no avail.

I do hit all my properties every other couple weeks though, just in case something drops after I walked thru there. I absolutely hate chew marks and damage so I go the extra mile and walk extra miles to just to make sure. I walked the same 2.5 miles today that I did a few weeks ago and found nothing during both trips...but I know in my mind that there's no sheds laying on that SE facing hillside thicket. If you have an area that produces sheds for you on a yearly basis it is definitely worth the boot leather to walk the fields and edges throughout the shed dropping season. BUT, just hit those less invasive areas during Jan. and Feb. and towards the middle of March start creeping in further closer to the bedding areas. You don't want to push the bucks out but you want to pick those sheds up sooner rather than later.

This is how I do it. It's alot more walking but it works for me. The bucks that drop late(like in April) are the ones that I usually find the following year. Greenup sucks ass when it comes to finding sheds.lol

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Well guys, I've been walking my ass off since my last post. All I've found is a broken off tine(prolly from a fight, piece of tine is 8+"s long). A squirrel or yote prolly carried it to where I found it because it was in the wide open in an area I've covered at least 4 times already. I've walked about 8-10 miles over the past week and already tore a hole in my new Lacrosse Burlys. FUGG!!! Anyhow I've taken a few pics along my treks that I felt interesting. Here they are:

This is a nice rub inside a growed up fenceline right in the middle of Boneheads area. Is it him? don't know but it's still impressive:

Here are two nice rubs I found along the Ohio River on a shed hunting trip:

Here is a big tree nearly felled by some beavers in the same area:

Here is a pic of a broken off tine, it's over 8" long:

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Holy smokes! those beavers are going to town! Heck of a broken tine and rubs as well! Way to keep your eyes open and make some mental notes Ric!

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Thanks guys. There must have been 75 trees counting the calfsized ones already laying down or just about to go down. The land being all flat, there were no beaver slides but the dragging trails looked to be numerous. Like a small logging company had been working there.lol

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I had a decent weekend shed hunting with my bro back home. Found three along with some nice rubs.

First find:

2nd find:

3rd find:

Big rub:

Couple more nice rubs:

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
The last two sheds are a matched set even though they look nothing alike other than the coloring. the leftside lays out straight and the rightside curls up. Thanks to hunting buddy Stacey, he had a TC pic of this deer to verify. The pic was taken a mile away from where these two sheds fell. They fell in the same field.

This is how and where we verify our finds...lol:

Last edited:

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Ric- You are having a phenomenal year shed hunting AND hunting! Tagged a dandy, and finding more for next year. Awesome stuff! Those rubs are unbelievable! That has to get your heart pumping.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Maybe you should come up here and help me find the big nine lol. I seen he is now a half rack and probably has dropped the other side by now. I walked about 4.5 miles on Sunday and didn't find a single shed :(