Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

FS First sheds of the year a MATCH!

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Oh, there's NO doubt in my mind he's the offspring of "Splits"! The split g2 is even on the same side........pretty neat!

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Thanks guys! I'm just so geeked right now! Knowing that even if Bonehead didn't make it thru or I'm not the one who finds his sheds if he did, that I have another good buck to hunt this fall. A buck with a split TOO! I'm still eager to get out and find Boneheads sheds though as it has been weighing heavy on my mind lately. He's a late shedder anyway but shed hunting is such a popular hobby these days because I know of several anti-hunting people in the area who are even ate up with it TOO.

No matter how my shed season plays out it's nice to know barring vehicle collision or poaching that another shooter buck has now set foot on land I have permission to hunt. Thanks for all the kind words and goodluck to y'all in finding some fallen treasures this shed season as well.

JOHNROHIO

Participation Trophy Winner
Good job that's a hell of a set to pick up. That always makes the long walk worth it.

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
Man Ric, that set is awesome! It's always a good feeling to find out about a new stud buck showing up on camera, so I can only imagine what it feels like to find his sheds! This has got me pumped to get out there this weekend and try to find a few.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Thanks guys! I walked another 3 miles easily today and found an nice year old one that got busted up some in a picked beanfield. The brow is short but the g3 was snapped off and was stuck in the mud beneath it. It was 9 inches long. FUGG!

This is what sucks about this shed! The g3 was snapped off close to the base of it and it was over 10.5" long. Here is a pic after I put it back together.

Last edited:

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I've been really looking over those two nice sheds I found the other day and I'm not 100% sure if it's a match. The mass is close but the beams curve slightly different and the colors are a hair off. We'll see.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Someday I hope to find shed like you do man. You have a real talent my friend. Those things are ghostly around here and I think they grow legs lol.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Adam, the big factor in finding sheds is to be looking in areas that bucks frequent at this time of the year. It sounds pretty obvious but I've put about 15 miles on my feet of which most of that over the same areas every other two weeks or so. The biggest problem I encounter is the deer don't yard up down here like they do up north. They have pockets and fingers in between large fields which are interspersed with a lot of land I can't seem to get permission on. I'd be able to triple my finds if I could just walk anywhere but that's a huge obstacle we all have to deal with.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Adam, the big factor in finding sheds is to be looking in areas that bucks frequent at this time of the year. It sounds pretty obvious but I've put about 15 miles on my feet of which most of that over the same areas every other two weeks or so. The biggest problem I encounter is the deer don't yard up down here like they do up north. They have pockets and fingers in between large fields which are interspersed with a lot of land I can't seem to get permission on. I'd be able to triple my finds if I could just walk anywhere but that's a huge obstacle we all have to deal with.

I will be looking this Sunday where I have my cam and have seen the bucks going in and out of the woods trying to backtrack where they are hiding the horns lol. Last year I know there had to be sheds back there but the spring flooding of the river wiped them all out and the only ones I found lasy year was a match set in a cut hay field.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Hayfields are awesome, that is prime shed hunting. I've only got one small hayfield to look in myself. Always! Always take binoculars! Saves alot of walking when you see a potential shed a hundred yards out. Look for tips, curves and pedicles or just parts of horn. I've gotten to where I don't have to look right at a horn to see it though. If I can glance within 5-10 feet of one I'll generally find it. It does take an eye for them and all that is, "is practice". Goodluck this weekend!

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Hayfields are awesome, that is prime shed hunting. I've only got one small hayfield to look in myself. Always! Always take binoculars! Saves alot of walking when you see a potential shed a hundred yards out. Look for tips, curves and pedicles or just parts of horn. I've gotten to where I don't have to look right at a horn to see it though. If I can glance within 5-10 feet of one I'll generally find it. It does take an eye for them and all that is, "is practice". Goodluck this weekend!

I will have to try the binocs this weekend. I have 2 hayfields and 4 huge pastures to checkout as well as the riverbottom the bucks hole up in. Some ground will be covered here soon although, the check of cams over the weekend showed bucks still holding and fighting over the mineral site lol.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Found my 11th shed this AM but unfortunately it was a year old one and chewed up pretty bad.

Here is what I've found so far this season as of 3-2-12