Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Brock and Mason... continued

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Everyone handles disappointment in their own way. I don't even want to hunt since Tines and Beans have killed each other. Mason on the other hand....

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    264.9 KB · Views: 113

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Thanks fellas.
Mason wanted to hunt one of the stands we just put up last night. It's about 50 yards from where I had found one of Tines' sheds, and it's a set up he picked out. Honestly, it's a money spot with almost no questionable wind, easy access, and one I wish I had thought of earlier. It's so slick, he only has a 150 yard walk off of a township road! So last night he wanted to go and I could not possibly tag along as it was a Friday, and being a pizza flipper with an ever increasingly busy business, he had to go alone. I got away from the shop long enough to drive him over to the property and dump him out around 5. I texted him at 515 to make sure he was settled in the stand and he texted back that he was and had deer all around him already. At 615 I picked him up since he had already shot a deer, having seen 7. His arrow told me we would need to wait a bit. We went back about 9, tracked her 100 yards or so and found 3 beds. One of the little bucks he had seen came grunting right up to us as we stood in one of the bloody beds. I thought I might have to beat him to death with a flashlight, but he eventually left. We backed out. Resumed the trail around 9 this morning and found her a short distance away in a small creek, which was COLD!

After dropping her off at the processor we went over to my buddy's preserve for a Pheasants Forever youth hunt. Mason shot two birds with two good shots, and I won a shotgun in the raffle! Not a bad day. BTW, I don't even know what kind of gun it is as I didn't look at it but it is some kind of autoloading 12 gauge w a camo finish. Dean called me to let me know I'd won as we had already left the event.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I need to explain the shot so Mason doesn't get mad at me for letting you all think he gut shot the deer... He waited until she was quartered away, hard. Shot for the opposite shoulder, and did a good job of it. As you can see in the pic, there are guts hanging out of the entry hole. On the exit side, the broadhead shredded the back of her shoulder. She was dead most likely before I ever picked him up last night.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Nice work mason! Something tells me there's a pile of deer in trouble down there this year.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Great to hear Mason is back in the saddle. The kid is a beast. Hope he finds another buck worthy (in his eyes) of tagging.