Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Live from the stand 2021/22

rooster85

Lake County
I aimed for his head and was just high. He’ll pop back out….

Attachments

• FA9246BE-699F-450C-9B6D-0711088A36CC.jpeg
    FA9246BE-699F-450C-9B6D-0711088A36CC.jpeg
    270.7 KB · Views: 123
  • 5A21C596-57F0-480E-91F7-79AC923948F0.jpeg
    5A21C596-57F0-480E-91F7-79AC923948F0.jpeg
    201.8 KB · Views: 126

whitetailjunky3

Saw over 30 in the fields on my drive back to the hospital this evening! Seen what looked like a dandy buck munching on some greens without a care in the world.

Reactions: Spencie

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Opted out of hunting this morning. Figured with rains and high water the deer wouldn't cross the creek by my stand and cell camera on opposite side of creek. The cell cam said that was a poor decision. Mature deer on his feet and crossing the creek between 8-9am. Such is lif and hunting. First world problems the technology of yesterday would not have told me such info. Almost carried decoy in but opted out. I do have 2015 buck tarsal glands thawing in my pocket. I did bring rattling antlers. Whatever happens, I'll have fun swaying in the tree.

Wildlife

Denny
Supporting Member
Ross County, Ohio
20211026_163523.jpg

Do to the brisk NW winds today, I'm hunting an area for first time this season. Not entirely sure what to expect, but this location has produced in the past, both deer & coyotes.

Doing the same tomorrow, a new area with a
northertly wind for the evening hunt.

Good luck to whoever is huntin this evening!

Wildlife

Denny
Supporting Member
Ross County, Ohio
View attachment 138512

Do to the brisk NW winds today, I'm hunting an area for first time this season. Not entirely sure what to expect, but this location has produced in the past, both deer & coyotes.

Doing the same tomorrow, a new area with a
northertly wind for the evening hunt.

Good luck to whoever is huntin this evening!
Totally busted another trespasser. The MF walked right in front me and didn't notice that I was less than 15 yards away from'em. Same BS as last year at this spot. Told'em never to come back here again if you don't want any problems with the law.

He turned around and left immediately.

A real f'en winner by the looks of him I tell ya...

Anyhow, it's still early yet and I'll make the best of what's been delt to me this evening.

I'm in my old API climber and I'm not wanting to climb down and move at this point.

Last edited:
Reactions: Big_Holla

Wildlife

Denny
Supporting Member
Ross County, Ohio
Totally busted another trespasser. The MF walked right in front me and didn't notice that I was less than 15 yards away from'em. Same BS as last year at this spot. Told'em never to come back here again if you don't want any problems with the law.

He turned around and left immediately.

A real f'en winner by the looks of him I tell ya...

Anyhow, it's still early yet and I'll make the best of what's been delt to me this evening.

I'm in my old API climber and I'm not wanting to climb down and move at this point.

I did end up seeing one decent size antlerless deer during this evening's hunt, right @6:30, despite the loud interaction with that trespasser an hour earlier. I suspect that the deer was bedded somewhere across the creek within yards of me, just like I knew there would be. I figured all the deer would be long gone immediately after the trespasser left the area.

I'm sure that deer wanted the heck out of dodge much sooner than when it actually did, however not knowing just where I was exactly, or if any other humans were still in the area, that deer did an awfully good job getting by me, but not entirely.

The deer slowly worked its way down to and through the creek bottom, and I admit, I barely heard the thing initially. When I did, the deer was already underneath me @12 yards. I was previously glassing out towards the cut beanfield to the East at the time when I first started to hear some minor leaf crunching right behind me, thinking it was a squirrel cause I had several of them within the immediate area. When I turned to look, the deer caught my movement, which I was surprised to see it was an actual deer. I froze while that deer kept looking up at me, but unsure what I was, and I watched the deer continue work the rest of the way down through the creek bottom and make it around the bend unharmed.

Photo was taken when the deer just got passed me, right @15yrds. while looking up at me.
20211026_183231.jpg

That was all the deer I saw and even heard this evening. It was beautiful night with crystal clear skies and all the stars were as/are as brilliant as can be. I thoroughly enjoyed my peaceful hike back home.

bigten05

*Supporting Member*
knox county ohio
I'm pretty sure I've never been skunked this many times. Me and savannah went after 2 bucks tonight that have been showing up every couple days in daylight. I figured with the weather passing and them not being in the field last night tonight would be the night but I was wrong. Gonna take a few days off before the weekend before I get burnt out.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Didn’t hunt deer yesterday. High winds from the north and I opted to chase ducks instead.

This morning we’ve got another north wind, perfect for slipping into the downwind side of a prime bedding area. I snuck in here about an hour ago and climbed a virgin tree… a little Oak, maybe 8” dbh. I’m up here about 12-14 ft off the ground with an awesome vantage point. It feels like I’m in the right spot today. Got some coffee and some protein in my pack.. I’m in for a long sit. Fingers crossed that a bruiser comes in here to J-hook his bed from the downwind side. If he does, he’s in trouble.