Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Live from the stand 2021/22

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Glassed until it started raining heavy again. I saw a few deer. More crops off now. That's a win. Driving 10 miles and seeing 6 deer. Two years ago that would have been 12-20 but I'll take it. We have a few survivors to rebuild the local herd. As more crops come off I suspect more will be visible and I'll feel even better about our numbers.

Drove to Cuyahoga Falls/Cleveland area and back this weekend. Get away with the Mrs. I can very safely say the young bucks are cruising hard. Had to be 40-50 dead deer (mostly young bucks) between Lima and Cleveland. Probably more.

Chancegriffis

Salesville ohio
Sat on the ground tonight off “oaks” bedding with a southeast wind… of fucking course he comes in to the corn pile down wind from me and leaves the same direction! I will kill him this year. All I saw tonight while getting poured on was this little 4pt. Here’s the trail cam of “oak”! Oh and btw that pile is about 200 yards away from me.

Attachments

• 9A07CF32-23D5-475A-842A-A4105AEFDC1D.jpeg
    9A07CF32-23D5-475A-842A-A4105AEFDC1D.jpeg
    306.2 KB · Views: 126
  • 83E83462-F11F-4B9A-AAC9-531A5C26A69F.jpeg
    83E83462-F11F-4B9A-AAC9-531A5C26A69F.jpeg
    73.6 KB · Views: 132

Wildlife

Denny
Supporting Member
Ross County, Ohio
A woodchuck and a nice evening good size doe @10yrds for at least 20 minutes during the last half hour, as the heavy fog rolled in at @6:55 p.m.

That was it!

I glassed a fair amount this evening until I couldn't see through fog and I didn't see any other deer movement anywhere else. I stayed up in the stand well after quitting time before I climbed down, then walked the creek bottom home that's just a few yards away from my tree, trying to remain super stealthy quiet, hoping not disturb any deer if by chance they were moving about within this thick heavy fog we're having right now. At least I didn't hear any while hiking back home, but that's not saying much either cause the ground is super saturated from all the rain earlier.

Wife told me when I got home right after yesterday's hunt at the other farm that we had a couple of young deer just outside the house living-room window late afternoon. One set of the twins I suspect, and apparently, they hung out within our front yard for a good half hour or better. If it's the pair that I'm thinking of, I do believe their mother is long gone/killed. They've been on the own ever since the first week of the season. I hope they stay close to the house all hunting season long for their own sake. One is a button and the other a doe. I have plenty of food for them to get through the entire winter to give them a fighting chance.

IDK if I'll hunt tomorrow. It all hinges on the weather obviously. We're supposed to have a few thunderstorms. A couple possibly mid morning and one mid to late afternoon. I'll be playing it all by ear and may possibly sneak out just before the morning storms and/or just after the afternoon storm. Winds are suppose to be in the double digits too (13-17 sustained), coming from South in the AM up and through the noon hours, then switching to coming out of the West by evening. Both those wind directions will work for the same setup I hunted out of this evening.

THUNDER's the game, the one I'm after. It was that setup he showed up at all week long, but not within legal times just yet, however very close. All the other regular local herd decent mature bucks are too still in the area with the exception of VEGAS. I haven't seen him since sometime mid summer. I hope he'll be showing up rather soon as well if he's still kickin.

Good night 'TOO'zers!

Last edited:

Spencie

Constitution Ohio
Wow!!!! I’m jelly!

Good luck and have fun Mike! Looking forward to your squirrel updates too! Lol
That’s one of the few benefits of shift work. Tie in a couple long breaks with unused vacation because of Covid and you get 5 weeks off. Unfortunately, I don’t have an exciting target using my place. A couple I might shoot if the mood strikes. Basically, waiting on a random stranger to pass through.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I’m in a familiar tree. I killed a doe from this tree 26 years ago. It was the first year I hunted this property. She came out under a funny green bush, the first of its kind I had ever noticed. Aside from a mixture of grasses, these woodlots were pretty open. In the years since, there has been a bunch of nice bucks killed from this tree, the biggest grossing 188. I hunt here for the memories. As you can tell, that little green bush flourished and it would be nearly impossible to get a shot in here now. Bush honeysuckle, if ya ain’t got it, you probably will.