Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Burn Care. 101.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
A pic from this morning's dressing change where it isn't as angry from the cleaning. Lots of new skin growth especially around the webbing between my thumb and index finger. 👍.

I was going to say that if you can get to a doctor that is obviously the smart thing to do to get silver sulfur cream. But there are silver impregnated creams available OTC. The silver inhibits the growth of bacteria while keeping the wound moist. Bactrin is another option if you can't find silver. The least desirable but would work in a dire pinch is a triple antibiotic.

20210710_095231.jpg

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
How ya do n as a lefty

I actually still have full range of motion and can do most things. Text with thumbs, grab and use a pitcher movement. Things that involve the web of my hand like picking up a pot handle, swinging a hammer, or using wire primers are out because it puts direct pressure on the wound. Other than that it just keeping the dressing dry, so washing my left hand and showering has posed some unique challenges. Thanks for asking.

Reactions: finelyshedded

Fletch

Supporting Member
Damn.... You trying to outdo my spider bite last year... Hope ya feel better soon... Mine healed up fast and not the tinest scar... If you remember I had puss coming out of the area and the skin kept rotting off... Like you I peeled it off as it died... Didn't really baby it and had my hand in pool water every day... You'll be fine.....

Attachments

• IMG_20200921_072634.jpg
    IMG_20200921_072634.jpg
    119 KB · Views: 97

Tipmoose

Supporting Member
Grove City
Dear Lord, Joe...that looks horrible. Hope you're able to get a full recovery. The good news is that MS bow season is 3 months away. Should give you enough time to heal, rehab, and get back into shooting form.

Reactions: finelyshedded

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Dear Lord, Joe...that looks horrible. Hope you're able to get a full recovery. The good news is that MS bow season is 3 months away. Should give you enough time to heal, rehab, and get back into shooting form.

Thanks bud. It's not as bad as it looks, I mean there's no doubt that it sucks ass but it looks worse than it is. It feels more sore than anything. I bet I can shoot now since I shoot a wrist strap. Gutting one however is likely out of the question. 😅.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Did a nerve test this evening using sterile gauze while doing the evening antibacterial soap cleaning. Just took a folder corner and touched around various spots. No loss of feeling anywhere and it's super sensitive. That good news on a couple of levels. One obviously is no risk of permanent nerve damage, the other is the bulk of the pain is in the past. Burnt nerve endings hurt like a bitch when they start to regrow, they just throb and ache. So it doesn't look like I'll be dealing with that. Always a silver lining. 👍. I decided that since it looks so angry after scrubbing I'll change the daily progress picture to the morning dressing change.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Eh. Nerve damage happens. After awhile you forget you lost the feeling. Says several of my body parts from various lacerations and one nasty back injury that stole some feeling in my left foot for a long time. Now it is only noticeable on occasion. Still. . . Glad you don't have any loss.

OUCH! I go back and forth between wanting to look away and staring at it...

Gives me flash backs to things i've done that left a mark, like melting plastic toys and listening to the "vvvoooiitt" when it dripped, till i got some on me and it burned and hardened instantaneously. Or when I was little and got my butt cheek up against the valve of a steam heating radiator at the bathroom of a local movie theater which left a negative impression on both my psychie and my butt cheek which was the name and address of the manufacturer and patent numbers in reverse as a scab/scar... There was no zip code which should give you a general idea of how long ago it was...

Pains like that last as long as the scars!

Glad to hear you are healing well now!

Tipmoose

Supporting Member
Grove City
Back when I was a kid (maybe 12) I accidentally grabbed a piece of aluminum railing on our boat that just got welded up. I was about six inches away from where the weld was. That was close enough. Wrapped my whole hand around it before reflexively letting go. Wasn't as bad as Joe's injury. Went down and found a frozen dr pepper in the fridge in the shop and held it. My hand curled up around the can and I couldn't open it. Went to the doctors office and got the silvadene and antibiotics. I don't remember how long it took to recover, but I don't have any scars from it.

Then there was the time I spilled a pint of fiberglass resin all over my foot and ended up getting a chemical burn on it because I was too dumb to take the shoe and sock off. Figured trying to walk across the 500 yards of gravel and rocks to where my dad was working would hurt more without shoes and socks. I was incorrect.

Reactions: Jackalope and Mike