Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Buckmaster's Hunting Log

Buckmaster

Portage
Here's a funny picture taken from our hunt two weeks ago.
Ron and I have taken deer #3 and #4 for the weekend and we have Scott here on the 4 wheeler whom hasn't even seen a deer yet. He was feeling a little blue and left out of the fun. At least he's helpful in the extraction process. Later that afternoon he did score on a doe.

Attachments

• Scott Working.jpg
    Scott Working.jpg
    270.2 KB · Views: 162

Buckmaster

Portage
Made it to camp Friday afternoon with enough light to hunt for about 45 minutes. It was windy and I didn't see a thing.

Saturday morning we were awaken by rain so I went to my elevated box blind overlooking a food plot. This is also a transition area and I didn't see anything.

Saturday evening the rain continued so I decided to hunt the opposite side of the property where I haven't hunted yet this year. It was wise decision.
I sat in a ground blind overlooking a food plot. I decided this was this evenings spot to avoid getting soaked with rain. At 6pm a button buck enters the field.
He feeds until about 6:30 then gets a little nervous. Soon after a 7 point enters the field. They both feed together at 22.5 yards from my blind.
At 6:52, its getting late and I'm stuck in my blind with two deer within range. Neither deer I want to kill. I was asking myself if I should begin barking like a dog to scare the deer away so I can get out of the blind without educating them too bad. Just then both deer get nervous and they begin to focus on something down the field. I thought to myself, "coyotes". I scanned the field with my binos and about 150 yards across the field I see:

Attachments

• Big Buck.jpg
    Big Buck.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 158

Buckmaster

Portage
The big buck stood there motionless scanning the field for his hopeful doe which took about 5 minutes. Unfortantely the wind was blowing west to east and he was following his nose by entering the field from the east side. You know what that means...... Big Boy makes his move. He begins entering my field toward my food plot and my ground blind. The button buck and 7 point then get nervous and dash away. As I watch this buck get closer I begin to get the shakes. I prayed all day Saturday to my neice that she could bless me with a big buck (Oct 27th was our 3 year anniversary of losing my neice). I thanked her and God for having this big buck enter my life this day. I looked up and the buck was now at 75 yards away, getting closer. Just then he stopped walking toward me and threw his nose into the air and checked the wind (scent check). I was smoked up inside the blind and I had Evercalm out behind my blind. He stood motionless at 75 yards for about 2 minutes accessing the situation discovering something he didn't like. At a moments notice he turned and bound away. I believe this is the same buck I saw last year at a 130 class. I had two encounters with him last year and my buddy Ron saw him once as well. He certainly blew up this year. I'm thankful I got to see him and hope we can meet again another day.

Dinner at Deer Camp this evening was: Grilled venison backstrap, sweet potato topped with butter and brown sugar, salad, Texas toast, and a few cold yuenglings.

Attachments

• Deer Camp Dinner 10-27-12.jpg
    Deer Camp Dinner 10-27-12.jpg
    201 KB · Views: 162
Last edited:

Buckmaster

Portage
Sunday morning we were greeted at 5am with rain pidder paddering on the cabin roof. When you can hear rain from inside the cabin (our cabin is very well insulated) it's typically a good day to roll over and get some extra zzzz's. With the big buck sighting last night I would be out hunting this morning rain or not. I selected a tree stand this morning in a nearby thicket to where I saw Big Boy the night before.

Here is my view. I'm basically hunting a bowl in between two thickets. A good transition area on a rainy morning.

Attachments

• Secret Spot View.jpg
    Secret Spot View.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 182

Buckmaster

Portage
In between the rain drops about 8 am I see a deer enter my woodlot. I grab my binos and see its a doe. I decided to pass on her. I watched her browse on green briar leaves for a little while. She hangs around my stand for about 10 minutes, meanwhile, I'm watching her actions and body language. I was hoping that Big Boy would soon be following. She grazes off a little deeper into the woodlot out of range. A few minutes later she appears again under my stand and is standing broadside at 20 yards. What am I to do? "This girl was asking for it now." I scan the horizion looking for a trailing buck, Nothing. I was fairly confident that it was me and her within this woodlot on this rainy Sunday morning so within a couple of seconds I sent my 2 blade Rage through her. I watched as she ran about 45 yards and did a nose dive into the dirt. "No tracking job required this morning I said to myself." (I did add an extra Rage broadhead to my quiver that morning because of the rain).

Here's the view of the woods with a "Doe Down". Later that morning I saw another small buck cruising the thicket seeking out does.

Attachments

• Dead Deer Down.jpg
    Dead Deer Down.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 164
Last edited:

Buckmaster

Portage
And lastly the hero photo. My buddy Scott killed a doe Saturday night so his doe hangs in the background. A solid weekend despite all the wind and rain.
We ended the weekend with 2 hunters, 2 deer, 14 sightings, Big Boy lives to see another day, and breed a few more does before I kill him.

Attachments

• Hero Photo 10-28-12.jpg
    Hero Photo 10-28-12.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 161

Buckmaster

Portage
I exchanged a couple of voice messages with my neighbor at Deer Camp. I got his permission to hang a camera and a stand set on his property where I saw this buck appear from last week. I have a key pinch point on top a high wall that I'll be focused on. I'll make my needed adjustments this Sunday. Hopefully and with a little luck he will make his appearance again. If he does, I'll be a lot closer to his staging area. This is provided he doesn't catch a hot doe and run 7 miles away. I'm pretty optimistic that should be a good move. It appears to be a 180" or tag soup this season since I have two does in the freezer.