Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Buckmaster's Hunting Log

Buckmaster

Portage
That's not the actual photo but one I found closest to him and most resembles on the web.
I have my camera at work today that I'm clearing off data for the move. I'm hopeful to get some real time video if he's still around.

Buckmaster

Portage
We are back for one day to reload for the next trip.

We have seen "The Slob" three times in the same field over the last 36 hours. Twice at 4:45 pm the last two evenings and once yesterday morning chasing does. He is very wise as he checks the field briefly for does then moves on quickly. Dave saw him for 30 seconds last night on the field edge which is 60 yards from the blind. He got the best look at him so far. Twenty inch spread, about twenty inches high, with bases the size of forearms. A baby elk like figure. Very impressive deer. I'm headed back down to Deer Camp tonight after watching my kids tonight (sitter wasn't available today). This deer is growing predictable however there are no suitable trees along the field edges. That's my problem thus I'm basically forced to hunt from the ground or two hundred yards downwind from the spot he frequents daily. I'll check the camera this weekend. Hopefully I have a picture or two. This deer is somewhat the likes of Jesse's CrazyRack from 2011 except twice the size.

Last edited:

Buckmaster

Portage
Back in the office playing catch up for a few days before I load up and head out again.

The rut in my neighborhood is soft and subtle this year. Tuesday Nov 6th appeared to be the day of fire. That was the morning my buddy Mike saw 4 different bucks, including "The Slob" and 11 antlerless. Mike settled on taking a 7 point which was the 3rd smallest buck he saw that morning.

Dave saw "The slob" again later that night in the stand I had positioned Dave in because I went home for a one day break.

The following morning at daybreak our group heard two highpowered rifle echos from the neighbor's pasture across the hollow. Twenty minutes later their 4 wheeler comes rolling down the hill from their barn to claim their prize. No one knows what the pickup entailed, coyote, deer, etc. ??? "The Slob" hasn't been seen since Tuesday November 6th. I hunted his main doe pickup field hard for the past week. He didn't even show up on my camera. He's either on lock down with a doe or in my neighbor's freezer. My camera remains hanging as I hope to find he's a survior in the days ahead.

The highlight of my past week was passing on a 20 yard broadside shot on a 130" class 12 pointer. The neighbor kid has missed him twice this season. The deer was very tempting but I practiced self control as I know their is a big one out there. He wasn't the "Oh Shit" Buck.

Last edited:

Buckmaster

Portage
Welcome to my vitural Deer Camp.

Here is our drive and parking lot.

Attachments

• Camp Parking.jpg
    Camp Parking.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 289

Buckmaster

Portage
Extra bunks available.

Pull up a chair, there's the cooler, grab yourself a Frosty.

Attachments

• Camp Trailer.jpg
    Camp Trailer.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 290

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Y'all got one heck of an awesome deer camp Ben!!! Thanks for the pics! WOW Very nice!

I hope your neighbor didn't poach anything! Hope he was shooting at a yote or something.

Buckmaster

Portage
Here is Mike M.'s deer from last week. A 7 pointer. The fourth buck he saw that morning.

That brings the 2012 camp kill up to 6 does and 2 bucks, and #149 since camp inception in 1999 using selective harvest methods.

Attachments

• Mike M buck 2 2012.jpg
    Mike M buck 2 2012.jpg
    277.8 KB · Views: 297
  • Mike M buck 2012.jpg
    Mike M buck 2012.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 248

Buckmaster

Portage
I'm back from camp. Just Scott and I in camp attendance this past weekend. I guess we're the camp die hards because the others stayed home.
In all a successful weekend. We saw 40 deer combined, 19 and 21 deer respectively. We had 5 sightings of 120-130" class bucks and could have killed 3 of them. The better bucks were on their feet this weekend and moving during all hours of the day. I did see one mature buck this weekend with a sagging gut. He was at 100 yards following does. No updates on "The Slob". He hasn't been seen in 2 weeks even on camera in his favorite field. As I move into gun season mode my priority has shifted to taking a nice buck or one with character. I hope I can still maintain my "hold out" composure with a gun in my hands. I won't be back out there until opening day. It's time to take a break, get caught up at work, and complete my home building project.