Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

1968 El Camino Project

That thing is going back together fast. I am impressed. Orange paint on the block brought a smile to my face. I was always an older Chevy guy. I rebuilt a 77 F250 Hi Boy years ago. Repainted the block Chevy racing orange. The Ford guys all gave me a hard time. I told them "I wanted to make sure it ran right." Never failed to get them fired up. lmao

Quite funny. Why would anybody want a putrid blue motor to begin with.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Quite funny. Why would anybody want a putrid blue motor to begin with.

I did paint the valve covers Ford blue. Maybe the intake and water pump too. Can't remember what all was blue. It was a combination but the block was orange. I just couldn't resist being a Chevy guy. I will admit, that truck was a beast. Divorced transfer case, heavier axles, and good looking body. The thing could push all the snow you ever wanted to push. Ok. I am done side tracking this awesome thread. Sorry Jon.

Quantum673

Black Hat Cajun
Supporting Member
Well it was a crazy weekend. We wanted to get the car finished in time for our Kickball fundraiser this past Sunday. We had several nights we worked until 1am.
We knew that some trim would not be delivered in time but wanted to make sure to have it driveable so we could take it to the fundraiser.

We finished everything we could Saturday night at about midnight. We still have a few things to do as soon as those parts come in. We will install the back glass and put the trim around it then install all the bed trim. After that we just need to start going through all the lights and stuff to check bulbs and stuff to make sure everything is in top working order. 1 year ago I promised myself that I would have it on the road by Connor's 16th Birthday. Well today is Connor's 16th Birthday and I am glad that I can take it down the road to honor him. #honorconnor

Finished7.jpg
Finished6.jpg
Finished5.jpg
Finished4.jpg
Finished3.jpg
Finished2.jpg
Finished1.jpg

Reactions: motorbreaker

Quantum673

Black Hat Cajun
Supporting Member
If you click on the first picture you will see a stainless steel #honorconnor on the dash pad. The guy that painted a car brought me 2 of those. He had a friend cut them out on the CNC. We haven't decided exactly what we will do with them. We are throwing a few ideas around. I like it on the dash like it is but we will see what we end up doing.

Thanks for all the compliments. The last 6 weeks we have hit it hard and we now can sit back and enjoy it a little.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Outstanding productivity these last few weeks Jon. Car looks amazing! Even if it is at 95%, these hot rods are never really "done". 90-95% is done in my eyes. Few trim pieces or adjustments will never end. Well done Sir!

I am truly happy to see it done Jon! You did a hell of a job, this really hits home with me. Good work buddy you should be very proud.

huntn2

Hudson, OH
Very touching to follow this thread through today Jon. Congratulations on accomplishing the goal of getting her out on the road today to honor Connor.