Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Squirrel Doggin' 23-24

Jamie

Ohio
When we started hunting this morning there was nothing moving at all. It took an hour before Slick even found a den tree that smelled enough to get his attention. When the rats finally got out of bed it was the Slick show all morning. Yes, he did run my sorry old broken-down ass nearly to death. He treed the first squirrel at 10am. We had three in the bag by 10:30 and had covered nearly a mile in the process. We walked a good ways back through what we had already hunted and once we got to some new ground, he had another one. After that we hunted our way back to the truck, I let Slick keep on going into a small woods where we park. He had one in less than a minute. I went to him and got into position for a shot after I found the squirrel. I played the waiting game with this one for a while and Slick just kept hammering the tree for me. I finally got a shot and missed. This was a wide open gimme of a shot at the whole squirrel after it slid around to my side of the tree. A quick follow up shot missed, then another one after the squirrel came down the tree a ways. I missed a fourth time as squirrel descended all the way to the ground. That was still a fatal error on the squirrel's part. Slick was on him before he even hit the ground. Squirrel bit him and ran, Slick chased it down, got bit again dropped squirrel and chased it down again. Third time was a charm. My shooting was lights-out all morning until this one, but Slick had my back, lol. This is the fourth uninjured squirrel he has caught on his own. You cannot teach a dog to do that, and it is some seriously cool shit to have a front row seat for that kind of action.

IMG_4245.jpg

IMG_4244.jpg

IMG_4246.jpg

I peeled the first five, ate a sandwich and got myself properly hydrated, recaffeinated, and a little rest for the both of us. It was only about 12:30, so we went off to another woods nearby. Only took Slick a minute to sniff out another one. This one was way up high in a huge multi-trunked Red Oak. Took me a minute to find the squirrel and get into position for a shot. While I was maneuvering the squirrel actually moved higher and offered me a better look, but it was up really high and the trunk it was on was swaying in the wind a bit along with some branches in between us swaying in and out of my view through the scope. I don't know how in the world I made this shot, but it went exactly where I wanted it in the back of squirrels' head at the base of the neck.

IMG_4249.jpg

Slick as pleased with himself almost as much as I was pleased with him today, as he darn well ought to be. When the rats came out of their holes, he lit them up. Scoured the woods fast and furious, leaving no stone unturned. He stayed treed on every tree today with no help from me, and some of those were a long time. He really was at the top of his game today, even gathering up the one I fucked up on. This hunt does not go this way if Lefty is there.

That is enough squirrels for this week and the rust has officially been knocked off. Now we are all whooped. Well, I'm whooped. ;) We all rest up a few days and back to work next. week.

Slick 12
Lefty 3

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
When we started hunting this morning there was nothing moving at all. It took an hour before Slick even found a den tree that smelled enough to get his attention. When the rats finally got out of bed it was the Slick show all morning. Yes, he did run my sorry old broken-down ass nearly to death. He treed the first squirrel at 10am. We had three in the bag by 10:30 and had covered nearly a mile in the process. We walked a good ways back through what we had already hunted and once we got to some new ground, he had another one. After that we hunted our way back to the truck, I let Slick keep on going into a small woods where we park. He had one in less than a minute. I went to him and got into position for a shot after I found the squirrel. I played the waiting game with this one for a while and Slick just kept hammering the tree for me. I finally got a shot and missed. This was a wide open gimme of a shot at the whole squirrel after it slid around to my side of the tree. A quick follow up shot missed, then another one after the squirrel came down the tree a ways. I missed a fourth time as squirrel descended all the way to the ground. That was still a fatal error on the squirrel's part. Slick was on him before he even hit the ground. Squirrel bit him and ran, Slick chased it down, got bit again dropped squirrel and chased it down again. Third time was a charm. My shooting was lights-out all morning until this one, but Slick had my back, lol. This is the fourth uninjured squirrel he has caught on his own. You cannot teach a dog to do that, and it is some seriously cool shit to have a front row seat for that kind of action.

View attachment 188767
View attachment 188768
View attachment 188769

I peeled the first five, ate a sandwich and got myself properly hydrated, recaffeinated, and a little rest for the both of us. It was only about 12:30, so we went off to another woods nearby. Only took Slick a minute to sniff out another one. This one was way up high in a huge multi-trunked Red Oak. Took me a minute to find the squirrel and get into position for a shot. While I was maneuvering the squirrel actually moved higher and offered me a better look, but it was up really high and the trunk it was on was swaying in the wind a bit along with some branches in between us swaying in and out of my view through the scope. I don't know how in the world I made this shot, but it went exactly where I wanted it in the back of squirrels' head at the base of the neck.

View attachment 188770

Slick as pleased with himself almost as much as I was pleased with him today, as he darn well ought to be. When the rats came out of their holes, he lit them up. Scoured the woods fast and furious, leaving no stone unturned. He stayed treed on every tree today with no help from me, and some of those were a long time. He really was at the top of his game today, even gathering up the one I fucked up on. This hunt does not go this way if Lefty is there.

That is enough squirrels for this week and the rust has officially been knocked off. Now we are all whooped. Well, I'm whooped. ;) We all rest up a few days and back to work next. week.

Slick 12
Lefty 3
Now you have too take Lefty out by himself!!!! 😂
Congrats too you both on a stellar day in the woods!

Jamie

Ohio
Lefty has been in decline for the last couple of years. This is nothing new, but I'm afraid that he is done now. His get-up-and-go got up and went a while ago and now he just cannot physically do this without suffering. He cannot run very far or fast, cannot get up on the tailgate anymore. I have to put him up there, and he can barely climb into the backseat of the truck now. He can barely sit, so I won't make him anymore. I hate to say it, but I think he is going to be retired after today. I wouldn't mind bringing him along for the ride, but his presence is just plain ruining Slick on trees and making it harder for me to finish the job on trees where there is a squirrel. It pains me to say it, but I knew this day would come. We had a good run. He will be a very happy house pet for the rest of his days.

Squirrels not doing much today at all. Slick treed 5 today and I shot three of them. I had to tie him up on two trees today and should have tied him on all of them. He simply will not stay on a tree when Lefty is standing next to me or off the tree anywhere barking at me or who knows what. He was on the wrong tree on one today, so I let that one go. I walked away from the last one because Lefty would not stop barking right next to me while I was trying to get into position on a very stubborn squirrel which makes the squirrel never move around to my side of the tree. I dropped the dogs three times today and killed one squirrel on each drop. I found a really nice hornets nest, too. I have no idea why, but I think these things are cool decorations. Rest Slick tomorrow and going to meet up with a TOO brother on Wednesday.

IMG_4254.jpg

Slick 17
Lefty- retired

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Damn, that wasn’t what I was expecting, but figured it wasn’t far away. That’s tough too read, and I’ve never hunted with you. But can relate and have been there a few too many times. Retiring a dog is never easy, but a pets life is the retirement he deserves.
Are you thinking about another pup in the future, Jamie?

OO2

In the Uplands
Enjoy retirement, Lefty!

Damn. Not looking forward to that day

“The perfection of life with a gun dog, like the perfection of an Autumn, is disturbing because you know, even as it begins, that it must end. Time bestows the gift and steals it in the process” - George Bird Evans

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Dang, kinda caught me off guard but I was wondering how much longer he was going to be able to hunt.
Happy retirement Lefty, it’s been great following along reading of your hunts.
Very cool nest find! I got a small one this fall behind our barn that was only 8-9 feet off the ground. Seen a half dozen close to the ground this year so I’m wondering if it means we’re in for a harsh winter.🤷🏻‍♂️

Reactions: Jamie

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
As I've followed along I figured this day was coming. Sounds like he backslid quickly but I am only catching bits and pieces of Slick and Lefty's lives. I thought maybe Lefty would get an outing for every 5 of Slick's or something along these lines. Maybe a couple years of slowing down. Hopefully he gets to enjoy plenty of retirement days and years as a pet.

Reactions: Jamie

Jamie

Ohio
Seeing him struggle yesterday after several days of rest was all I needed to see. He has arthritis in his back legs and it does bother him, and he is dysfunctional because of it. He is pretty broken down, but I had to know for sure, and now, I am sure. His quality of life will be better if I don't make him hunt. It will be hard to leave him behind, but that is the way it has to be. When Lefty does go to the woods with me from now on, it won't be because I need him to tree squirrels for me.

Jamie

Ohio
I'm too friggin' tired to recite all the details of the day, so y'all get the Cliff's Notes version. Maybe I get motivated tomorrow.

Was a fine day in the squirrel woods today. Slick showed us a dozen today. 8 got dead, two got to holes before a shot was fired, and two got shot at and got away. Slick hunted well for us all day and did a good job. Shooters did pretty good, too. Thanks for joining the mayhem, John. Big fun.

IMG_4257.jpg

Slick- 29

Last edited:

ThatBuckeyeGuy

Ohio
I'm too friggin' tired to recite all the details of the day, so y'all get the Cliff's Notes version. Maybe I get motivated tomorrow.

Was a fine day in the squirrel woods today. Slick showed us a dozen today. 8 got dead, two got to holes before a shot was fired, and two got shot at and got away. Slick hunted well for us all day and did a good job. Shooters did pretty good, too. Thanks for joining the mayhem, John. Big fun.

View attachment 189084
Very cool congrats on a successful day!
Ps , love the hat :cool: