Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Squirrel Doggin' 23-24

Jamie

Ohio
I have had a few situations similar to this especially when I used to hunt with coonhounds. Back then it was a bit better as most people understood. Most people today don't understand how the process works and that dogs don't know property lines.
Yes, but these two were hunters and noticeably older than me. Both wearing camo and driving a camo side by side. They should understand. If you live adjacent to a public hunting area, you have to expect some encroachment. I'm a landowner, too, but I don't get this guys reaction to something so frivolous. I mean, he was obviously in the woods watching us and he heard me call the dog as soon as it went across. Maybe we ruined his precious deer hunt yesterday morning.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
He’s a nut. Quit trying to find any logic in his actions. He obviously thinks the taxes he pays and the paper issued to him from the government actually means he owns the land. I don’t know how man can own the ground that will consume his bones. I’m just happy Slick escaped unharmed.

GoetsTalon

Supporting Member
Walbridge oh
That's what's wrong with the fucking world nowadays! Back in the day if you went onto somebody else's land you were a visitor now your a trespasser. We could free rome half of fucking Wood county and nobody cared. Railroad tracks no problem. Game warden checked us all the time on the tracks and never once was we told we couldn't hunt. The reason nobody is hunting anymore is because the world is full of cocksuckers! Also glad Slick didn't get hurt because I know you would be in jail right now.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Damn Jamie! That incident sounded scary! That guy had no business acting like that and is a total nut job. Probably took a few months off his life in the process. Glad Slick wasn’t hurt in process as well.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Easy for me to give benefit of the doubt. Make up twenty scenarios for his actions. Say "well, I don't walk in his shoes." At the end of the day, you did no harm and really no wrong. He was unhinged (for whatever reason we will probably never know). I'm glad the dogs were not harmed. Sucks to be him and live such a miserable existence.

Jamie

Ohio
IMG_4267.jpg

Ahhhhh, that's better. :)

It was foggy AF this morning, but I said to hell with the fog and took Slick for a run this morning anyway. I didn't have real high hopes for anything more than one last walk in the woods before I have to run around Ohio spreading my holiday cheer and leave the dogs couped up for the next couple of days. Some squirrels were out, Slick hunted fast a methodically today. He covered all the woods like a champ and only went to 4 obvious dens. We only hunted for about an hour and a half. The rats were very spread out and Slick stayed treed exceptionally well on two these that took me a while to get to. Rats played hard to get, like always. I did not get a look at more than 1/2 of a squirrels head this morning, but by some miracle I managed to hit them all in the head in spite of it. Superb hunt; short and sweet.

Slick 40

Jamie

Ohio
Yes, at this particular place there are way more Fox squirrels, but for the last three years I have been seeing more and more Greys. 10 years ago there was not a Grey squirrel to be found in that area. We have killed four Greys there this season and have seen three others that got away. I'm happy to see their numbers growing there because there is plenty of habitat to support them. I do really like having Fox squirrels around. They are easier to kill and it takes less of them to fill the freezer.