Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Squirrel Doggin' 23-24

Jamie

Ohio
Back in the saddle today after an extended break from squirrel hunting. Took my uncle up to a spot in Knox county today. Seems the squirrels we up and about very early and gone back to bed pretty quickly this morning. Slick hit one pretty fast when we started and did a lot of barking all day. There were gazillions of fresh squirrel tracks everywhere this morning in fresh snow, but we only saw three squirrels all day. They all went to the gambrel, but we went to at least a half dozen dens, nests or otherwise empty trees for every squirrel we saw. Seemed like it would have been better. Slick really hunted well today even though the rats did not cooperate. Forgot a hero pic again. Try again tomorrow or Thursday with Nancy now that she is on Christmas break.

Slick 32

Jamie

Ohio
We had a pretty long day yesterday, and I probably should have stayed home today, but the weather is nice, so I attempted to take Slick out for a couple of short stops. Yeah, right. Not with this dog, lol. He ran me into the ground today. Slick worked his ass off and ran like the wind from empty tree to empty tree. Rats not out much today again. I think I ended up walking about three times as far as I intended and in half the time it should have taken. I had to pull the plug before we got all the way through the second drop or I might still be laying out there in some impenetrable patch of bush honeysuckle. We did see three squirrels, though, and I shot them all in the head. The first one was nothing but brains, the second was a little low in the head, more like the jaws, which sent this rat into a real tizzy. Ran around in the top of the tree for a few seconds then took flight like a kamikaze coming right for me. By the time it occurred to me to move, the rat hit the ground less than three feet from me. Slick was on it quick and finished the job, but not before being bit again. I swear I think he likes it when the bite back. :LOL: We got two on the first stop, Slick fell through some ice on the way out and back to the truck, and scared the living shit out of me as this was moving water. Luckily it was only a foot or so deep, but it scared the hell out of him, too. Maybe he'll stay off the ice when I tell him to from now on. :rolleyes: He found the last squirrel we would see pretty fast on the second stop, and I made a good shot after I finally found it in gigantic Cottonwood. He then proceeded to drag me on a couple of very long, hellish walks to more empty trees. Rats holing up fast today. Good hunt, but I think we both got a little more than we wanted today. Slick did something today that he has never done before, ever. He was super solid on his trees again today even the holes, dens and vacant ones until I dismissed him, which is really nice to see. When a dead rat hits the ground he always pounces on it and gives it a good shake until I can call him off of it or take it from him, at which point he starts barking his head off until the squirrel disappears into the game bag and I send him off again. Today as soon as I picked up the dead squirrels, he just took the hell off and started hunting again. No lingering and barking today. He was most eager to get back to hunting today. Good dog, Slick. :)

IMG_4259.jpg

Slick 35

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Nice outing! Sounds like he’s settling right in on a one dog act! Ice and dogs, bad combo. Have come close to losing a couple dogs on ponds and stripper cut lakes with thin ice. Luckily they were able to get themselves out of it, wasn’t anyway I was getting too them….

ThatBuckeyeGuy

Ohio
Congrats sounds like a fun time . I wish I knew someone remotely close to me that enjoyed squirrel hunting. I miss chasing them . Love seeing these updates

Reactions: Jamie

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
You're actually 100 percent right , they all have beards with no mustaches and wear funny hats though. That's usually what I see behind every tree here
It’s been a running joke for a few years now. It was posted too get the dander up on a former member…..

Last edited:
Reactions: giles

ThatBuckeyeGuy

Ohio
If you are willing to drive I can take you. If you have a place to hunt, you can invite me. Have dog, will travel.
That's an extremely generous offer . Where do you reside ? Unfortunately I'm limited to public right now here until I can find some private permission. The spot I had is a very sore story ... I've never hunted squirrel on the public around here but I also haven't ran into a squirrel hunter in years so it might not be to bad

Jamie

Ohio
I deliberated quite a bit as to whether or not I should relate this story. Read it and tell me what your thoughts are. I'm still processing this, but now I'm just kind of pissed about it. People are fucked up.

Yesterday Nancy and I went to Mohican state forest to squirrel hunt. I have visited the spots I hunt there 3-4 times a season since I first discovered them. I am familiar with these areas and I know where the boundaries are very well. I went there one time during the 21-22 season, did not do any good and did not go there once last season. So, I have not really hunted any of that since the 20-21 season, and I was looking forward to going back. We took Lefty, too. The hunt started like they all do. The dogs went off and hit a couple of dens before Slick got on one. It was way up high in a very tall tree on a rise surrounded by the top of another larger blowdown. Nancy never did see the squirrel, Slick would not stay on the tree, and I could not get into position for a shot. We walked away from that Grey squirrel. I sent them off again and Slick went a long ways and started barking. We hurried on toward him, but he left that tree and ran a long way again in a bit of a loop before he started barking again. He was still about 400 yards away, and I knew he was close to a private property line. We fought the briars and blowdowns to the top of the ridge and when I got to the top I could see Slick about 75 yards below me on a big Red Oak within 30 feet of the extremely well marked property line, but very much on the public ground, so I went to him for a look, tied Lefty away from the action and waited for Nancy who was lagging behind me pretty far. Slick stayed treed and by now had been barking for 10 minutes solid. I suspect that so much barking right on the property line attracted some unwanted attention. Nancy got there, finally, took forever to find a place to shoot, but was able to make a good head shot after I moved the squirrel around to here. I gathered up the squirrel, untied Lefty and since we were a half mile from the truck, we headed that direction, which put us walking away from the private property.

Lefty under our feet, Slick doing what he does, scouring. We get to the top of the ridge and I see Slick running toward the private ground again. He is about 150 yards or so from us, and about 50 yards across the property line when I called him to come to me (SLICK COME). He did not turn, so I toned his collar and called again (SLICK COME) and he turned and was running up the hill straight to us when I heard a guy yell "HEY SLICK'. I looked at Nancy and started trotting toward the dog who was still running toward me, and now back on the public ground. Person yells "KEEP YOUR DAMN DOG OFF MY PROPERTY'. Slick was with me now and I hollered back "SORRY" as we went over and down the other side of the ridge. I was a bit confounded. Did this mother fucker tried to call my dog to him? Then I was pissed. Slick was not on the man's property for more than 30 seconds, literally. Nancy a bit freaked out, too. We decided to just get the hell out of there and made a beeline to the truck. I'm glad we did, too. As we walked this just seemed more and more odd to me and I grew more concerned that this might not be over yet and we needed to get out of there asap. I was happy to see the truck. We loaded up the dogs put up the guns and got undressed. Since there was no sign of further interaction with hostile locals, I was getting my stuff out to clean the one squirrel we had when I heard a side by side coming down the road, which is a one lane gravel/mud path in the middle of nowhere. I have seen people cruising these roads in buggies before, so I did not jump to any conclusions. The buggy stopped about 50 feet behind us. I waved and started walking toward them when I saw two men raise their phones and were either taking video of photos of me/us and the truck. I approached the buggy and the driver rolled down the window, the passenger started yelling at me to keep my dog off his property. I mean yelling as loud as you can and still make words. I offered a calm, sincere apology, which only seemed to incense him further. After his second tirade I just said, "ok, I'm sorry, won't happen again." and walked away toward my truck. I realized then that they wanted to get a pic of my license plate, which they could not see because the tailgate was down and Nancy's legs were dangling in front it, too. They started driving on but stopped just past the front of the truck. Nancy saw them rolling down the window again and raising their phones, so she ran up there and stood blocking the front plate and leaning on the hood of the truck. I walked right up to the buggy again and I asked them what they were doing. The driver of buggy is in his late 60's or early 70's, the passenger is in his 60's. The passenger leans way across the buggy and is screaming at the top of his lungs, face beet red, eyes bulging, and he is shaking with anger. I mean he is literally shaking. He says to me "LOOK ME IN THE EYE. I'M GOING TO TELL YOU NICELY ONE TIME, KEEP YOUR DOG OFF MY PROPERTY". Lol, if that was "nicely" he likely would have stroked out had he been mean about it. I was staring him right in the eye as he requested and was surprisingly composed in light of the circumstance. The dude was unhinged, and now way out of line and I do not want this to escalate any further. Without so much as a blink, I calmly apologized again. I shifted my gaze to the driver whose face was only about two feet from mine. I looked him right in the eye and shook my head. The look on my face must have been enough to convince him that I had quite enough. I said, "we are done here, and we didn't really do anything wrong, anyway." Passenger says, "so how about letting me get your license plate number then?" I replied, "how about NO!" and walked over and stood next to Nancy in front of my truck. They sat there for about one minute and finally drove away. Once they were gone, we just came home. Dogs and us covered with ticks. We had to stop a few miles down the highway to brush the ticks off of us and pick them off the dogs. This was not a good hunt, lol.

I do not let my dogs run roughshod over private property lines, ever. Flagrant trespassing is not in my playbook, and when a dog does get across a line I call him back or go get him immediately and move away from that line. I'm wondering now how that plays out if I'm by myself. I did have my carry gun in the truck, but damn. It is bothersome and disappointing that there are so many fucked up crazy people in the world and you never know where you will find them or what they are capable of.

If any of you see pics of me on Facebook or something labeled as some no-good goddamned trespasser with his dogs running all over private property and shooting up the place, please understand that there are two sides to every story.

Slick 36

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
I deliberated quite a bit as to whether or not I should relate this story. Read it and tell me what your thoughts are. I'm still processing this, but now I'm just kind of pissed about it. People are fucked up.

Yesterday Nancy and I went to Mohican state forest to squirrel hunt. I have visited the spots I hunt there 3-4 times a season since I first discovered them. I am familiar with these areas and I know where the boundaries are very well. I went there one time during the 21-22 season, did not do any good and did not go there once last season. So, I have not really hunted any of that since the 20-21 season, and I was looking forward to going back. We took Lefty, too. The hunt started like they all do. The dogs went off and hit a couple of dens before Slick got on one. It was way up high in a very tall tree on a rise surrounded by the top of another larger blowdown. Nancy never did see the squirrel, Slick would not stay on the tree, and I could not get into position for a shot. We walked away from that Grey squirrel. I sent them off again and Slick went a long ways and started barking. We hurried on toward him, but he left that tree and ran a long way again in a bit of a loop before he started barking again. He was still about 400 yards away, and I knew he was close to a private property line. We fought the briars and blowdowns to the top of the ridge and when I got to the top I could see Slick about 75 yards below me on a big Red Oak within 30 feet of the extremely well marked property line, but very much on the public ground, so I went to him for a look, tied Lefty away from the action and waited for Nancy who was lagging behind me pretty far. Slick stayed treed and by now had been barking for 10 minutes solid. I suspect that so much barking right on the property line attracted some unwanted attention. Nancy got there, finally, took forever to find a place to shoot, but was able to make a good head shot after I moved the squirrel around to here. I gathered up the squirrel, untied Lefty and since we were a half mile from the truck, we headed that direction, which put us walking away from the private property.

Lefty under our feet, Slick doing what he does, scouring. We get to the top of the ridge and I see Slick running toward the private ground again. He is about 150 yards or so from us, and about 50 yards across the property line when I called him to come to me (SLICK COME). He did not turn, so I toned his collar and called again (SLICK COME) and he turned and was running up the hill straight to us when I heard a guy yell "HEY SLICK'. I looked at Nancy and started trotting toward the dog who was still running toward me, and now back on the public ground. Person yells "KEEP YOUR DAMN DOG OFF MY PROPERTY'. Slick was with me now and I hollered back "SORRY" as we went over and down the other side of the ridge. I was a bit confounded. Did this mother fucker tried to call my dog to him? Then I was pissed. Slick was not on the man's property for more than 30 seconds, literally. Nancy a bit freaked out, too. We decided to just get the hell out of there and made a beeline to the truck. I'm glad we did, too. As we walked this just seemed more and more odd to me and I grew more concerned that this might not be over yet and we needed to get out of there asap. I was happy to see the truck. We loaded up the dogs put up the guns and got undressed. Since there was no sign of further interaction with hostile locals, I was getting my stuff out to clean the one squirrel we had when I heard a side by side coming down the road, which is a one lane gravel/mud path in the middle of nowhere. I have seen people cruising these roads in buggies before, so I did not jump to any conclusions. The buggy stopped about 50 feet behind us. I waved and started walking toward them when I saw two men raise their phones and were either taking video of photos of me/us and the truck. I approached the buggy and the driver rolled down the window, the passenger started yelling at me to keep my dog off his property. I mean yelling as loud as you can and still make words. I offered a calm, sincere apology, which only seemed to incense him further. After his second tirade I just said, "ok, I'm sorry, won't happen again." and walked away toward my truck. I realized then that they wanted to get a pic of my license plate, which they could not see because the tailgate was down and Nancy's legs were dangling in front it, too. They started driving on but stopped just past the front of the truck. Nancy saw them rolling down the window again and raising their phones, so she ran up there and stood blocking the front plate and leaning on the hood of the truck. I walked right up to the buggy again and I asked them what they were doing. The driver of buggy is in his late 60's or early 70's, the passenger is in his 60's. The passenger leans way across the buggy and is screaming at the top of his lungs, face beet red, eyes bulging, and he is shaking with anger. I mean he is literally shaking. He says to me "LOOK ME IN THE EYE. I'M GOING TO TELL YOU NICELY ONE TIME, KEEP YOUR DOG OFF MY PROPERTY". Lol, if that was "nicely" he likely would have stroked out had he been mean about it. I was staring him right in the eye as he requested and was surprisingly composed in light of the circumstance. The dude was unhinged, and now way out of line and I do not want this to escalate any further. Without so much as a blink, I calmly apologized again. I shifted my gaze to the driver whose face was only about two feet from mine. I looked him right in the eye and shook my head. The look on my face must have been enough to convince him that I had quite enough. I said, "we are done here, and we didn't really do anything wrong, anyway." Passenger says, "so how about letting me get your license plate number then?" I replied, "how about NO!" and walked over and stood next to Nancy in front of my truck. They sat there for about one minute and finally drove away. Once they were gone, we just came home. Dogs and us covered with ticks. We had to stop a few miles down the highway to brush the ticks off of us and pick them off the dogs. This was not a good hunt, lol.

I do not let my dogs run roughshod over private property lines, ever. Flagrant trespassing is not in my playbook, and when a dog does get across a line I call him back or go get him immediately and move away from that line. I'm wondering now how that plays out if I'm by myself. I did have my carry gun in the truck, but damn. It is bothersome and disappointing that there are so many fucked up crazy people in the world and you never know where you will find them or what they are capable of.

If any of you see pics of me on Facebook or something labeled as some no-good goddamned trespasser with his dogs running all over private property and shooting up the place, please understand that there are two sides to every story.

Slick 36
People suck. Sorry for your unpleasant interaction.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
People suck, and it happens all the time, not just on public land. I had an elderly couple grab one of my beagles that was on a track. They put her in their garage. Got the number off of the tag and called me.
I’m like let the dog go, I’m hunting with it. Clueless fuggers.
Sorry you had to deal with that POS….

I just cannot get over how irate this man was over essentially nothing. It does not make any sense.

I have had a few situations similar to this especially when I used to hunt with coonhounds. Back then it was a bit better as most people understood. Most people today don't understand how the process works and that dogs don't know property lines.