Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Squirrel Doggin' 2015

Jamie

Ohio
I think you must have a magic portal that takes you to fox squirrel land! I have a few at my place but the grays outnumber them by about 10 to 1.

it all depends on what part of the state you are in. almost all fox squirrels in northern half of the state, almost all greys down south. mixed populations exist in most counties, though. just depends on where you are, and how many bird feeders are in the neighborhood. :D

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Jamie, which of the two do you think is the best to eat, fox or gray? The grays are more tender but the fox are much larger. I just have to par boil the fox longer before I pan fry, which is how I like mine. With gravy over sweet tatersand biscuits of course.

Jamie

Ohio
as far as the best eaters, young of the year greys are the most tender of them all, but young of the year fox squirrels are pretty close.

taste-wise there is no discernible difference, assuming they are all from the same area, eating the same things. I know people who won't eat fox squirrels because they "taste gamey", and it is totally absurd. anyone who tells you they can taste the difference between a grey and fox squirrel is full of shit. No doubt, though, that fox squirrels are a little tougher, across the board. this really only matters in terms of how long you have to cook them to get them fork tender. is irrelevant when canning.

Jamie

Ohio
rotflmao "I was wondering what you did with all the meat..." please don't take offense, this is just very funny to me because I hear that routinely. I understand why people are dumbfounded by what I, or anyone, could possibly do with all these squirrels. I do pressure can most of mine. for me, this the most useful way to put them up, largely because of how the meat is fall apart tender. once you remove the bones, this canned squirrel meat can be used for anything that you would use ground or shredded meat of any sort for. I made squirrel burgers a few days ago. pan fried them in bacon grease rather than grilling. makes finest squirrel gravy you'll ever eat, tacos, sloppy squirrels, boneless fried squirrel, squirrel croquettes, squirrel pot pie, squirrel potato cakes, use your imagination. the truth of the matter is that we eat as much wild game as possible rather than buying industrial meat. killing 100-150 squirrels in a season means one less deer(large deer) I need to kill, and some more variety in what we eat. squirrels are both delicious and nutritious.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
rotflmao "I was wondering what you did with all the meat..." please don't take offense, this is just very funny to me because I hear that routinely. I understand why people are dumbfounded by what I, or anyone, could possibly do with all these squirrels. I do pressure can most of mine. for me, this the most useful way to put them up, largely because of how the meat is fall apart tender. once you remove the bones, this canned squirrel meat can be used for anything that you would use ground or shredded meat of any sort for. I made squirrel burgers a few days ago. pan fried them in bacon grease rather than grilling. makes finest squirrel gravy you'll ever eat, tacos, sloppy squirrels, boneless fried squirrel, squirrel croquettes, squirrel pot pie, squirrel potato cakes, use your imagination. the truth of the matter is that we eat as much wild game as possible rather than buying industrial meat. killing 100-150 squirrels in a season means one less deer(large deer) I need to kill, and some more variety in what we eat. squirrels are both delicious and nutritious.

When we would hammer the rabbits years ago we would do the same... By far the best way too handle a lot of game....

Jamie

Ohio
small game hunting has been swept under the rug by deer and turkey hunting. more exactly, by the industries and government agencies that promote them and make money off of them. ain't no money in small game hunting for the state or the hunting industry. compared to killing a 140" whitetail buck, head shooting a few limits of squirrels isn't very glorious.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
small game hunting has been swept under the rug by deer and turkey hunting. more exactly, by the industries and government agencies that promote them and make money off of them. ain't no money in small game hunting for the state or the hunting industry. compared to killing a 140" whitetail buck, head shooting a few limits of squirrels isn't very glorious.

Well put.... Don't get me wrong I love deer hunting but nothing like following a pack of beagles chasing rabbits....

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I enjoy the heck out of my time in the woods squirrel hunting. Deer is my passion. I won't lie. I do really enjoy some squirrel hunting though.

Jamie

Ohio
... isn't very glorious.

I should clarify that I meant this not as a statement of my personal opinion, but rather to state my understanding of popular consensus among sportsman of today in general. fs, squirrel pot pie recipe is on the site someplace, in game recipes section, I think.

Blan37

SW Ohio
No offense taken, hopefully none given. I figured it went to good use - I seriously meant I wonder how you process / store it. I think it's impressive that you get so many when you go out - I'm jealous :smiley_arrogant: lol

Before deer season started I was going after squirrels pretty hard and was vacuum sealing them and freezing them. I have a pressure canner but have never done meat before - only tomatoes and jalapenos.

If you ever get a chance, It would be cool to see a video of your canning process.

Blan37

SW Ohio
Ah cool. Thanks for the link. Nice canners btw. I have the 921 and love it.

I'm in the blind right not with the 22 waiting for squirrels. But it figures, I only see them when deer hunting lol

Blan37

SW Ohio
I got to try the gambrel Jamie designed & Mike sent. Works great - very cool. Thanks again to both of you. Got 4 grays all within 30 minutes of sunset.

Untitled.jpg

Jamie

Ohio
Lefty had a bit of a break out day today. He's been hunting with his mother and grandfather a few times a season since he was born. has never really done much in the company of other dogs, even these two dogs that he is well acquainted with. I've hunted him with Digger and Tricks 6 times in the last two weeks and he has only hunted sparingly, and has only made a few trees of his own. Today, for whatever reason, he hunted like I'm accustomed to him hunting when it's just him and me. My buddy had a couple of friends up from southern Ohio today to join us, and Lefty performed. Of course, he made a liar out of me in the process. I was explaining to the new guys my frustration with his behavior, and flat told them that he would not do much. Digger is 10 years old, and cannot seem to make a tree any more. I predicted that Tricks would do the job as she has the last several times out and find them for us. Lefty treed 5 of the 8 squirrels we got today, and joined Tricks on two others. I'm as pleased with what I saw out of him today as anything I've seen all season. we had a fun day, there were a few rats out sunning, and the visitors got plenty of shooting. I don't know why we didn't take any pictures. the fellas had a good time, and got schooled on how to clean a Delaware county fox squirrel. darn nice day of squirrel hunting for this time of year.