Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Squirrel Doggin' 2015

Blan37

SW Ohio
Great job!!! Lefty's lookin pretty proud with that batch! Joe wait till you use that gambrel it will put a smile on your face. The fish skinning pliers help out great also. Make the cuts just like Jamie's does and it will pull right off.

Yep - can't wait to try it out!

I had already been using a fish skinner - definitely makes it easier!

Never thought of using game shears - looks a hell of a lot easier than trying to chop feet & heads off with a knife! This is the one I ordered because it was a little cheaper as an add-on item & had good reviews: http://www.amazon.com/Camillus-Titanium-Bonded-Ballistic-Camouflage/dp/B00A26R0AK

Blan37

SW Ohio
I don't know if they're better than fiskars but they have good reviews, so I tacked them onto another order I had to make. Might be better to stick to what jamie recommends since they are 'field tested' by him. I received them and they seem like they are pretty decent, but time will tell.

Jamie

Ohio
I've tried all sorts of utility shears and other scissors. I broke a pair of Gerber game shears that looked exactly like those Camillus shears. the plastic handle broke, rendering them useless. I found them to be less comfortable in my hand than the Fiskars, and the serrated edge on them is more a hindrance than help. I've used my big Outdoor Edge game shears in the past, but they are a little bulky and cumbersome for squirrels. The Fiskars have withstood the test of time, are still going strong, and are more comfortable in the hand than anything else I've tried.

today I got to be the guide and dog handler for Nancy and her niece. Lefty sure did his part today, finding us 7 in tough conditions with heavy snow squalls and wind. a couple got away, but the shooters did ok. pretty fun afternoon. ya gotta love chicks that look this good and are tough enough to squirrel hunt on a day like today. :smiley_clap:

1-17-16 2.jpg

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Without a doubt. It was NOT fun outside today. Some tough ladies to endure these conditions. Tough anyone to be outside today. I agree. They are also very pretty ladies.

Jamie

Ohio
on a side note, same niece killed her first deer with a bow on January 2 of this year. At my request, back in October Milo got her set up with a starter bow and arrows, got it tuned up and dialed in, gave her some shooting instruction. I made sure she was practicing as much as possible, and apparently she was. I saw her at family Christmas gathering and she asked me how much it would cost for me to make her a bow. I couldn't help but laugh(because, of course, it would be totally free), told her it would be VERY affordable. this young lady likes to kill shit, wants to do it with a longbow, and will be very good at it. total natural shooting a bow. looks like I have a project in the shop when squirrel season is over.:)

IMG_1896.jpg