Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Squirrel Doggin' 2015

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
I'm going to get some laser cut out of stainless at work. If they turn out OK, I'll have plenty to share.

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
These turned out nice in 1/8" ss.

Jamie

Ohio
excellent! I wish the ones I had made out of stainless would have turned out that good. time to go get a few squirrels and try it out.

Jamie

Ohio
Very nice jamie. What pliers are those?

they are fish skinning pliers, and cheap ones. I don't recall the brand and there is no marking on them. got them at Meijer or WalMart . has been a while ago, but anyplace that sells fishing stuff ought to have them. I'll probably invest in the best ones I can find next time. these are getting a little rickety.

Last edited:

Jamie

Ohio
money.jpg

I've been doing my squirrel gravy a disservice for a long time, even eating it over (most shamefully) canned biscuits. after several tries, my wife turned out the best buttermilk biscuits that have come from our oven. REAL biscuits made with lard and buttermilk. I never realized the titanic disparity between good biscuits and, well, everything else until today. that's money right there, fellas.

Looks really good. My wife makes homemade biscuits on the regular. However I do need to move back to a state that has decent squirrel hunting. Ill be adding a pair of those pliers to my small game bag and the squirrel Gambrel. Thanks Jamie.

Jamie

Ohio
today is the first time we've been able to get out since before Xmas. a monumental day of squirrel hunting for us. two limits, and this is the most squirrels I've ever gotten behind Lefty in a day. I've gotten 10 a few times, 11 once, but a dozen for the first time today. we went to a new place on public ground for the first time. drove there on Monday and did some drive-by scouting in the rain. long day with lots of den trees, but shooter and dog got it done. the skinnin' boy is whooped. :pickle:

12-30-15 1.jpg12-30-15 2.jpg12-30-15 4.jpg

Last edited:

Jamie

Ohio
after such a superb day Wednesday, yesterday was a slap back into reality. misty, freezing mess with some flurries mixed in all day. I fell into swollen creek trying to get across to the dog on a tree(adding insult to injury, we could not find that squirrel :mad:). spent the rest of the day pretty wet. squirrels not out very good. we covered a lot of familiar ground, dog hunted hard and treed many times, but we only saw four squirrels all day. we got three, the other dove into a hole before we could shoot.

Jamie

Ohio
after a pretty tough day last Thursday, we didn't do much better down in southern ohio on Saturday. two greys and a fox squirrel were the only squirrels we saw and we did shoot them all out. very slow day with several den trees. Switchitter and I had a much better day today. pretty windy with some serious snow squalls, but we managed to get nine. 7 fox and two greys on top several dens. dog did me proud today.

1-4-16.jpg