Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Should we get a puppy?

DXT

Believe me it kinda is like have a child. First 2-3 months we were in and out of the house every 25 minutes to help house breaking. It has been better since then. She goes to door now.

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
I'm going to do the bell on the door nob trick like my mom always did with our dogs growing up. When they want out, they ring the bell.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
We have gone to some breed specific "rescues" in the past. The person we met had 10-15 large dogs in a 1200-1500 sq ft (estimated) house in town. Maybe a 30x30' fenced in yard with no grass. He denied us a dog. I was dumbfounded. Honestly, I was in shock at first. After the shock wore off I was quite saddened. This guy was truly a dog hoarder. He didn't want the dogs to leave. I hope he is no longer part of the "rescue".

Outdoorsfellar

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I think they're all seriously messed up. Not only filling out a application, but they will come out to your house to inspect. You need references. It really sounds like a nightmare depending where you go. Years ago, my sister & her husband who are both " over educated " educators, adopted a dog from somewhere I dunno. They had to fill out the application, then have their property inspected & whatnot. I can't believe they fell for that, but then again....anyway, I dunno if it was this dog or the next, but it had gotten sick years afterwards. I guess they didn't want to let their young son know about life & death, so hey took it to Columbus to that vet hospital. I kid thee not..... $5000.00 smackaroos & a few days later, they got to take he dog home.... where it died an hour later !! When they told my wife & I that later, you could've heard our jaws hit the foor. We weren't shocked that the dog died, just that they spent a fortune & then for nothing. I don't why I'm going on about this, just one thing led to another, but geeeze I'm still laughing over it.

Last edited:

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
It appears to be a huge hassle, but the family wants this particular dog, me included. I'll jump through a few hoops. Not too keen on the home inspection portion.

GoetsTalon

Supporting Member
Walbridge oh
Just getting ready to take our lab out and she didn't have to ring a bell lol!!!! Love her to death but sometimes makes me want to pull my hair out if i had any LOL!!! This is our first dog and she is going on six years old and people that have labs say we will have a good dog when she is around seven. Dogs are just like kids as they are a lot of work and worry. My wife says this is our last but i don't know how i could go through life without a dog now that we have one. Go for it Mike and you and your family will have a lot of fun just be sure your bed is big enough for you your wife and the dog. They love to stretch out cross ways and take up all the covers LOL.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I'm going to do the bell on the door nob trick like my mom always did with our dogs growing up. When they want out, they ring the bell.

The bell works great for potty training. Betty had it figured out within 5 or 6 days of bringing her home. Its a cool thing when they get up and go ring that bell on their own for the first time. Soon after you end up taking the bell away tho... They figure out the bell means outside and they'll drive you crazy with it. Lol

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
It appears to be a huge hassle, but the family wants this particular dog, me included. I'll jump through a few hoops. Not too keen on the home inspection portion.

Guess I didn't have an issue with an interview or some questions. They could have inspected our home as well. I don't care. Not hiding anything. Tells me they try to place the dogs in good homes. When you have an acre with invisible fence, head of the household in/out all day giving attention as needed to the animals, and guys in/out of the shop loving on the dogs like we do, it just struck me as odd we were denied. The dog we were looking at was 2-3yrs old. Our kids were something like 4-6yrs old. The dog hoarder was worried the dog was too rambunctious for the kids. No shit? How about you give the dog some room to run and attention and maybe he won't be so rambunctious? lol Really did feel bad for those dogs. It was more like they were being boarded than rescued.

Do what you have to do Mike. They are just trying to ensure the dogs see a good home.