Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Scent Smokers Are In.

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
Another close encounter this weekend in a ground nest - she was 7-10 yds away and saw my poorly camoflaged butt, but did not catch my scent.

Thought I'd share a story from my buddy this week. He was hunting a buck that had been entering an alfalfa field from 3 different trails. The thing was there were other trails along the edge of the field that the other deer were using as well. Since there are no trees big enough to hang a stand he decided to smoke up and sit on the ground. Well, sure enough he had deer behind him and downwind. The never spooked, however they did become curious as to what the source of the smoke smell was. Once the does worked their way up to him at less than 20 yards one picked him off while he was moving to get a better look at them. They only blew for a moment, turned and bounded out into the field and soon were out there eating. Deer continued to enter the field from the multiple trails and soon there was the big buck he was after. Only, he cam out on the third trail, much too far for him to shoot. Lesson learned, if you are going to sit on the ground make sure you are concealed better than sitting up against a couple small saplings. The smoke worked but without good camouflage and concealment the deer's curiosity brought it much too close and soon they knew something just wasn't right.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Cool story! That is the one downfall, sometimes they come looking for you, but it is better than them knowing what you are!

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I have been reading these post on the Smokers. My son and I have bee equipment and for the life of me as normal I couldn't find it. I went on line today to order one but then I thought I will give it one more look.
I will be darn I found a as new smoker in my son's barn and right where it should have been.
I will be hunting in my woods today and will gather some bark and twigs and be good to go. This will be interesting from the post you guys have written up. Thanks for the idea.
Frank

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I have been reading these post on the Smokers. My son and I have bee equipment and for the life of me as normal I couldn't find it. I went on line today to order one but then I thought I will give it one more look.
I will be darn I found a as new smoker in my son's barn and right where it should have been.
I will be hunting in my woods today and will gather some bark and twigs and be good to go. This will be interesting from the post you guys have written up. Thanks for the idea.
Frank

Don't use bark and twigs. They don't contain enough lignin. Find some hardwoods chips. :)

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
OK....Am trying this smoker thing this year. Should have read this WHOLE THREAD before trying to Smoke-Up in a hurry. Yes, there is a 3" flame that will come out of the smoker and scorch anything in reach! And if you blow through the hole and put out the flame.........It will definately produce a 3" flame and scorch your fanny pack the second time if you work the bellows too fast. Good thing I wasn't smoking up my hair on that one. Note to self: Self, don't be doing that shit no mo!rotflmao
:

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
OK....Am trying this smoker thing this year. Should have read this WHOLE THREAD before trying to Smoke-Up in a hurry. Yes, there is a 3" flame that will come out of the smoker and scorch anything in reach! And if you blow through the hole and put out the flame.........It will definately produce a 3" flame and scorch your fanny pack the second time if you work the bellows too fast. Good thing I wasn't smoking up my hair on that one. Note to self: Self, don't be doing that shit no mo!rotflmao
:

BaWhoof!

Crap!

Milo

Tatonka guide.
Give it a little shake between bellowing. That keeps the flame from starting.

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
All help appreciated so I have some huntin' stuff left after the education........rotflmao

Diane said she'd wait until I get better at it......WTH?:smiley_crocodile:

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
All help appreciated so I have some huntin' stuff left after the education........rotflmao

Diane said she'd wait until I get better at it......WTH?:smiley_crocodile:

HAHA I don't blame her!

I think we've all done that a time or two. I always get too excited with the bellow trying to get that smoke rolling thick!

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
After you've done that a time or two, you will learn to listen to your smoke. That thing will talk to you...and then, WOOF!

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Just wanted to say that I had 6 deer (2 sets of three) directly downwind of me yesterday morning, and none had a clue that their lives were in danger. The second group consisted of a huge mature doe with twin button buck fawns. They milled around 5-20 yds from the base of my tree, straight downwind, for about 15 minutes. They even walked back and forth on the trail that I walked in on. My mind has been made up for a long time now that the Scent Smoker works as advertised... But for anyone still in doubt, you seriously don't know what you're missing.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Great to hear, Jim! Obviously I have been quite a fan of Scent Smoker for quite a few years, but the deer(s) that Mason killed this weekend were the best example I have EVER seen of how effective it really is. Mason said over and over, "Scent Smoker really works!" And of course all I could say was "of course it does" :) I really wish I'd have had that all on video. As strongly as the wind was blowing to those deer at eye level and 10-20 yards, even I had my doubts but it beat them all!

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
The proof is in the pudding. Fool one nose?... eh, piece of cake. Fool three noses at once?... just another day at the office for the Scent Smoker.

image1.jpg