Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Hot H20 Tank Issues

jwiley77

Best thing to do is invest the money in a quality tankless water heater, the way the energy guidelines keep changing, you can replace a water heater every 6-10 years or invest in one you'll never have to change, requires little to no maintenance, you'll never have a lack of hot water or pressure drop due to the nature of a traditional tankless water heater that if you do not set up properly, have flushed annually, you will clog the heat exchanger and be out a lot of money for a short term fix. For what it's worth, don't look at any issue with you home as an expense, rather an investment, it can resell itself if you're truly going to move.

Hoytmania

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Gods Country
Best thing to do is invest the money in a quality tankless water heater, the way the energy guidelines keep changing, you can replace a water heater every 6-10 years or invest in one you'll never have to change, requires little to no maintenance, you'll never have a lack of hot water or pressure drop due to the nature of a traditional tankless water heater that if you do not set up properly, have flushed annually, you will clog the heat exchanger and be out a lot of money for a short term fix. For what it's worth, don't look at any issue with you home as an expense, rather an investment, it can resell itself if you're truly going to move.

What tankless water heater don't need flushed at least annually.

Also what is the difference between a "traditional tankless" and this "little to no maintenance" tankless you speak of?

Who's the manufacturer, and where can I get one?

jwiley77

What tankless water heater don't need flushed at least annually.

Also what is the difference between a "traditional tankless" and this "little to no maintenance" tankless you speak of?

Who's the manufacturer, and where can I get one?
What do you do for a living?

Mooosie

Most of the things you have been told might help except the thermocouple. Sounds to me like you might need a new thermostat . Most I have seen mount right on the outside of the tank. If it is bad the burner or electric elements won't shut off. That will over heat the water and Pop the pressure valve. As far as a tankless they are expensive and hard water will screw them up to

Hoytmania

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Gods Country
What do you do for a living?

I'm 3rd generation in a family owned Plg, Htg, Clg company that was started by my father and grandfather back in 1959. Was kinda curious about yourself, I figured with the way you where talking you where a plumbing contractor of some sort.

And yes Moosie you are correct, if you have hard water tankless is not the way to go.

Joel

Centerburg, Ohio
A good friend of mine owns a plumbing company and does not like the tankless heaters at all. I was considering one and he talked me out of it.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
A lot of people in Europe us them as they save money on heating the water but I wasn't a fan of them when I was over there..... I'm on city water so hard waters not really an issue with us either..... I've installed my share of h2o tanks and will stick with what's worked for me for so long although with the kids outta of the house the tank less would probably be the way too go.....

Hoytmania

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Gods Country
Tankless is a very nice system and does save energy if done right and if the contractor does a good job of educating their customers on all their options. Sometimes it makes sense sometimes its just doesn't add up.