Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Hot H20 Tank Issues

Hoytmania

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Gods Country
If the water heater fails and starts to over heat it can potentially get the water to a temperature that is above the rating for pex. That could cause the pex to fail.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
If the water heater fails and starts to over heat it can potentially get the water to a temperature that is above the rating for pex. That could cause the pex to fail.

18" of copper going too protect the pex? Doesn't seem like a whole lot of space between tank and pex...

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Took me just under two hours and only had one minor issue. I was able to salvage the cold water connection, so it was a pretty smooth swap all together. First order of business was heating the house up to 75 as I had to shut off the gas to the furnace since the closest valve was inline above the water heater and furnace. I gathered up all the tools and parts. I ended up adding a second crescent wrench and it took some PB Blaster to get fittings loose.

After I turned off the gas and water, I drained the tank in to the shower, which really took longer than anything else. Once it was drained, I disconnected the hot water outlet, cold water inlet and the gas connection. Once the tank was empty and disconnected, it was time to make space for the new, bigger 50 gallon tank.

Thankfully I swiped an appliance dolly from my former employer because that tank was a beast! Once I slid the new tank in place, I checked the gas/water line situation and was pleased to see the cold water inlet would work, and that I could eliminate some of the old, steel gas line. I connected the cold water, cut the hot water off and connected the Sharkbite fitting, then turn on the water after opening the hot water on the faucet furthest from the tank. While the tank filled, I connected the gas and the vent pipe. Once water was flowing from the upstairs faucet, I turned the gas back one and checked for leaks. After I fired the furnace back up, I lit the pilot light. Once it was lit, it was time for the FUBAR since it went so well! While putting the cover back on, my hand slipped down the cover and slice the ever living hell out of my finger. Lost a bunch of blood, but I didn't lose water or gas, so all is good!!!

Next step down in the laundry room is to hook up my wash sink so I have a place to clean/butcher animals. Going to repaint the floor from where the constant popping of the PRV on the last tank ruined it too. Be nice to have a good usable space down here!

Hoytmania

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Gods Country
I'm not the one who writes the code, just the one that has to follow it. I have personally never seen anything like this happen, but codes usually come about because some dumbass with no common sense blows himself up or something.

Most people just don't realize that under the right conditions your water heater just turns into a really big bomb.

T

Hoytmania

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Gods Country
Yea like this.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1424540678108.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1424540678108.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 125

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Yea like this.

This was a mythbusters episode. They finally got it to explode after disabling all of the safety features and blocking the cold water intake am hot output. After completion they said it was conformed that one could explode, but it was practically impossible due to the safety features installed to prevent it and other factors of home plumbing. If the multiple safety features failed odds are the tank would pressurize to a point where it would push water back out of the cold intake to the main line. It would also cause failures of valves, faucets and plumbing joints before it failed catastrophically.

antiqucycle

East Ohio
Nice job! great discussion overall. Yes, the Obama price increase is effective April 1st or maybe sooner if previous tanks are sold out. I am still confused as to which prices are skyrocketing. Some of the price increase deals with the vent, chimney parts.
I guess some tanks will require bringing in an electrician to run a new 220 line to the tank.

My gas tank was 17 years old and still going strong. Because of the April price skyrocket, I chose to replace it.
What seemed like a smart move was to buy a tank with an 8 year warranty then added an extra 5 years of extended warranty so I won't get stuck by the Obama price increase for 13 years. My brother was planning on buying a replacement tank before the oba price change and just letting it sit in the box till it was needed. HIs plan did get a chance to work because his tank started leaking natural gas. He was very lucky his house was not flattened.

Hoytmania

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Gods Country
The largest hit on the reg changes is electric water heaters of 50 gallons or more. If you have such a tank go get one right now and just hold it. The new ones will all have a heat pump built onto the top of them. The prices of these tanks are going to more than double, not to mention the changes that have to be done for the plumbing and the electric.

Anti, buying all the extended warranties won't do you a bit of good. There won't be any tanks to replace it with when it goes bad. So you will be stuck with making the upgrade anyways.

All the gas models will have a increase also, just not as dramatic as the electric models.

Its going to be be a big pain in the ass for us, because all the tanks are getting taller and fatter. I don't know what the people are going to do that live in a slab house where their furnace and water are both in a closet together in the center of the house.

Man why can't big brother just keep his fingers out of stuff.