Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Hot H20 Tank Issues

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
That was why I thought sediment could be part of the issue. Build up in the bottom would diminish capacity, thereby limiting availability.

That could be the issue but if you have that much sediment built up you might be further ahead to replace it. How old is that tank? With hard water scale build up it might not be on the bottom of the tank. It might be built up on the fins and internal parts and not be able to be drained out?

Buckmaster

Portage
When I lived in the village (my whole life), the water was very hard. If you didn't have a water softener it was standard protocol to change your water heater every 6-8 years. I've helped more than a few people haul those 150 pounders out of basements....about 75 pounds of it was Calcium deposits.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Changing isn't hard at all Jesse, especially with the advent of those shark fittings which make it a piece of cake too swap out..... A little pricey but well worth the cost....

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I used the Shark fittings on my utility sink and those things are the tits! I figure if I can install a dishwasher, a hot water tank can't be much harder. So much for that cash we got for Christmas!

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
If you're serious about moving in a few years I wouldn't go hog wild on a top of the line tank, basic middle of the road one will do just fine especially with the hard water issues....

I've done my fair share of the bastards sweating copper and switching too pvc and now the shark and I'll never go back too the former.... Did a buddies last winter with the shark fittings in less then an hour.... And no leaks lol...

Last edited:

Huckleberry Finn

Don't forget to include a condensation drip pan, it is Ohio law! Lost a bet on that one to my old boss, I figured he got swindled by his installer for another $25 but it's in the frigging ORC!

....I would never put one in!

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I am with J. How many hours have you dicked with it already? 2-4hrs? What is your time worth? You probably have 1/3 of the cost of a new one gone with the time you have spent nursing this one along. 6-8yrs with hard water. I would cut my losses as well. Also with J on sweating those fittings. Not impossible, but sometimes they can give you fits. Literally. Childish tantrums or fits.

5Cent

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
North Central Ohio
1. Accept it is time to replace. The fact the PRV is blowing is because you have the temp jacked up. The fact it does not last long is you're substituting higher temp to increase run time. The hotter the water, the longer it will last (mixing) to get warm water. You have lost capacity in your tank.

2. Take specs on current tank and figure out if it will fit your needs over the next 10yrs. More kids? Any additions? Just size properly, both capacity and physical real estate.

3. If you can solder, you can handle this yourself. Research, very easy to do, but is dangerous if you wing it (fire, steam, pressure).

4. After installed, make sure expansion tank is properly sized. The more volume being heated, the more expansion.

5. Follow manufacturers recommendation and pressurize expansion tank bladder accordingly.

6. Crack a beer, watch for leaks and let her warm up :)

7. Take a hard look at all of your faucets and trims. Does it all say Moen on it? If not, when finished with beer drive to store or nearest showroom (take tracie of course) and check out all of our new offerings!

http://www.theohiooutdoors.com/show...&p=323873&highlight=Hot+water+tank#post323873

Last edited:

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
Just get after it! That is how you learn. Plus, get the right guy at Lowes or Home Depot.... He'll set you up with everything you need. Just ask them who the "Hot-Water Tank Guy Is?) Take pic's with your phone and good measurements and you're in there! Not to mention the "I'm proud of my hubby" moment when it's all done (and nobody got hurt):smiley_clap: Priceless plus money saved.

$$$$$ that could be better spent on hunting stuff!

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Another vote for replacing the tank, using shark-bite fittings (the ones from home depot, not Lowes), and using Moen faucets.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I have Moen on 2 of 3 faucets. I'll eventually replace the other one when it makes its way in to my truck... :smiley_coolpeace:

Sounds like I need go tank shopping. It'll have to wait until next weekend at this point. Got stuff going on the rest of the weekend. I'll just limp it along until then.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
You aren't alone. Swapped one in my triplex 2 months ago. Tenant called last night. Guess 2/3 of the water heaters are going to be replaced in 14/15. Bummer. If I think about it, I will take some pics as I go for you. Say the word. I don't really think you will need it. You are a smart guy. You got this. Just like any other project you have never attempted before, it sounds intimidating. When you are done you will be laughing at why you ever doubted yourself.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
That's how I felt about the dishwasher. I was certain it would be a catastrophe. They couldn't be easier to install. And this is coming for a guy that's only mildly handy.

You have to lovr YouTube for this stuff too. Man what a good tool!

If you end up modifying the connections on the top of the tank Phil, I wouldn't mind seeing before and after pics. I will have to do something with Shark fittings for sure.

Joel

Centerburg, Ohio
You need the threaded fittings to screw into the top of the tank that are sold seperate but then I believe you can get flexible shark bite lines to go from there to your existing pipes. That will make it way easier for you if you don't do much plumbing. If you want, post a couple pictures of your existing tank and I'm sure we can give you step by step instructions and a material list.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
That's how I felt about the dishwasher. I was certain it would be a catastrophe. They couldn't be easier to install. And this is coming for a guy that's only mildly handy.

You have to lovr YouTube for this stuff too. Man what a good tool!

If you end up modifying the connections on the top of the tank Phil, I wouldn't mind seeing before and after pics. I will have to do something with Shark fittings for sure.

Dang. Just read this and it is done. Mine was an "easy swap". Same tank brand/size/model number. The fittings on the top almost never come off. Mine had unions going to copper 3/4" pipe. I bought 2 new unions. Figured I would just use the bottom half of the union on the male threads coming out of new water heater and connect to the top half of old unions already soldered on. Should have been a 30min swap. Nope. New union/old union had different threads. Ended up un-soldering the old and soldering new ones on. Gave me fits. Couldn't get it to suck enough solder in there. Tigher area in a closet with shelves makes it tough to run a torch. Need about 4 hands to do it. Ended up saying eff it. Went to Lowes and bought the quick connect fitting.

End result: I used 15" braided steel fitting. Female threads screwed onto male threads coming out of water heater. Used $10-15 tubing cutter to cut old copper above the old fittings but below the shut off valve. Emery cloth on the ends to ensure no burrs on copper. Stuffed the new "Sharkbite" style fitting over the end of the copper piece I cut off. Turned on valve and began filling tank. It is truly that simple Jesse. Even with no pictures, you got this man. Make sure end of pipe is smooth with no burrs/jagged edges, and you simply stuff the fitting over the end of the pipe. Nothing to it.