Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Goin snaring

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
My hippie buddy that owns the farm I caught the coyotes on called me at 7:30 this morning. I am not usually up at that time of day unless I am hunting or trying to catch a fish... I was up this morning as I have been busy clearing an area of our woods of brush and wanted to get an early start today. Anyway, the reason for his early call was to tell me he had just seen a large coyote heading back the ditch towards the dens I found - said "You have more work to do". :) I have been short on time the last week or two, but that should straighten out soon enough and I plan to get up there and shoot whatever is in the dens. So what are your suggestions? Should I set up a distance away and howl at them? Should I just find a good place and watch? I have a 243 that shoots really well, and I don't think I'd have an issue laying back 300 yards or so (wide open country, and 300 yards doesn't seem too far out there). Or, should I just drive the truck back with a water reservoir and flush 'em out like we used to groundhogs? What would you do?

Milo

Tatonka guide.
smoke them out...they make some gopher bombs that you can throw in the hole and it kills them dead...like 5 bucks for a 4 pack...hehe

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I haven't been back to see if they completed construction on their dens. Part of me would like to set cams up on the dens to see how many deer they drag in. On the other hand, any deer they drag in is one I won't be able to hunt in a few years. I guess the thing to do is check the dens, and make up my mind once they have their pups. Too many choices I guess. I do like the smoke bomb idea though. You get em at TSC?

Milo

Tatonka guide.
I haven't been back to see if they completed construction on their dens. Part of me would like to set cams up on the dens to see how many deer they drag in. On the other hand, any deer they drag in is one I won't be able to hunt in a few years. I guess the thing to do is check the dens, and make up my mind once they have their pups. Too many choices I guess. I do like the smoke bomb idea though. You get em at TSC?
i got mine at a hardware store but I am betting you can get them there too. I have seen them at Ace also. Light them, throw them in the holes and cover it up..no more oxygen...hehe

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Sounds like you need to finish them off before you have more in the area. No better suggestions than what you have already suggested or Milo has.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
If you shoot any at the den and leave mom or dad alive and any pups just be warned. They will move them to another site quickly. Did that last year. We walked over a ridge and heard one of the adults take off. We got 2 pups and the 3rd made it back into the den. A few hours later I had mom and 3 pups on my trail cam 1/2 mile from where we shot the pups. I know they are still out there but now I have NO idea where the den is. Kind of sucks too.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sounds like a good plan Milo. I think I may find an evening or two to take Mason up there and try to bust 'em from a distance in the next week or two. If that doesn't work, I'll try to smoke 'em up.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
If you shoot any at the den and leave mom or dad alive and any pups just be warned. They will move them to another site quickly. Did that last year. We walked over a ridge and heard one of the adults take off. We got 2 pups and the 3rd made it back into the den. A few hours later I had mom and 3 pups on my trail cam 1/2 mile from where we shot the pups. I know they are still out there but now I have NO idea where the den is. Kind of sucks too.

That's what I want to avoid. I kinda want to watch them, but I don't want them to get away in the process. When it come time to clean house, I'll try to do a good job of it.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
That's what I want to avoid. I kinda want to watch them, but I don't want them to get away in the process. When it come time to clean house, I'll try to do a good job of it.

Just clean house man. Don't leave any alive or you may never catch up to them again. If it was me, I would watch for the adult to go in with the pups and hurry over with the quad and pop the smoke. Kill um all !!!!! lol

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
We have a hardware store right next to our shop. I just walked over to see if they had the smoke bombs - they have three kinds!:) I will smoke em when I catch 'em in the den. I just don't want to throw smoke in there when I don't know if anyone is home as I'd imagine that would be enough reason for them to move elsewhere if I don't get them.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
We have a hardware store right next to our shop. I just walked over to see if they had the smoke bombs - they have three kinds!:) I will smoke em when I catch 'em in the den. I just don't want to throw smoke in there when I don't know if anyone is home as I'd imagine that would be enough reason for them to move elsewhere if I don't get them.

Just need to do some long range surveillance and wait for them to be home now :)

Good luck and don't forget to shoot any runners when you pop the smoke :smiley_clap:

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
IMO...The smoke sounds nice and easy, but you may not know if you got them or not. The water will bring them up to a load of buckshot....DOA Baby! Both ways sound pretty fun though!

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
That would work for one. Problem is, I want to get them both! I could have set a snare at the mouth of the den(s), but I kinda wanted to see how they would shake out...I wanted to see if they would choose to use them. They supposedly set up a couple of places and move from one to the other if fleas or other pests become an issue. There are two dens on the same waterway. I suspect it is the same pair that dug both. I'll just have to wait to see which one they use.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Thanks FS!

I haven't been able to get up to the farm for a few weeks so the yotes have been living happy, I suppose. I went today to check on the dens. I took along an 1100 stuffed full of turkey loads and a 22 mag revolver. I figured I may need both if a herd of coyotes came out of the hole. :)

I wanted to check the dens first to see if there was any sign indicating they were in use. They have made a trail through the tall grass running along the waterway, and there were fresh tracks going into the den. I bought some smoke bombs on the way out to the farm, so I got my guns all squared and dropped the smoke... Nothing. So, I dropped another. Nothing.

I set up a trail cam, and will go back in a few days to check it and set snares. I'll get those varmints one way or another eventually.

Attachments

• IMG00321-20120402-1338.jpg
    IMG00321-20120402-1338.jpg
    249.2 KB · Views: 173
  • IMG00320-20120402-1153.jpg
    IMG00320-20120402-1153.jpg
    192.6 KB · Views: 133
Last edited:

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Just thought I'd show this pic too... These suckers know how to hide a den. Its not easy to see, but there is an 18" hole there.

Attachments

• IMG00322-20120402-1339.jpg
    IMG00322-20120402-1339.jpg
    266 KB · Views: 181