Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

2017 Random Turkey Scouting

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
It was a done deal. I won't get that kind of reaction by the time we actually get to hunt them.
2-3 days of it if we're lucky. At least that's what I've seen the last couple years. I almost like the second and third weeks better. By the time our season comes in they are henned up.

twireman

Kingston, OH

twireman

Kingston, OH
Thanks. Put camera up yesterday to see what was shaking... had turkeys all through this morning with around 10 being the most at any one time. Looks like around a couple gobblers so far..strutter to right of this pic

Spencie

Constitution Ohio
Cool video and pic. This week should get them wound up. I only get a partial day off this week but hope to get out to check cams and listen at daylight on Thursday.

Spencie

Constitution Ohio
There was nothing roosted on us this morning but I did hear quite a few in the distance. They didn't gobble much after flydown but I did hear a couple firing up when I was leaving around 9:00.

OO2

In the Uplands
I was to go to strouds what all should I look for in the way of turkey sign. Have some time to kill on this beautiful day.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
I was to go to strouds what all should I look for in the way of turkey sign. Have some time to kill on this beautiful day.
Scratching would probably be the easiest sign to find. Watch Spence's turkey videos and look at them scratching the leaves. Look for several spots of disturbed leaves in one area and a lot of times it's turkeys that did it.

Last edited:

Spencie

Constitution Ohio

The turkeys are just now starting to split up from their winter flocks so finding scratchings right now could be misleading...try to determine if it is FRESH scratchings. Look for open ridges and open points, these are favored strut zones for Toms. Field edges and and open flats are also good strut zones. Look for roost areas which are usually mature trees. There will be lots of droppings under them. These are often on points or on hillsides off of steep ridges (easier to fly up into the roost). Sometimes on field edges but that has rarely been my experiences.

Listen closely, turkeys are very vocal but often it is very soft and subtle communication calls. If you can get out even for 15 minutes right at daylight in the mornings they will tell you where they are. But be careful, you may end up getting hooked bad.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Fuuuuuggggg turkey season scouting. Every year on the first saturday after April 1st 5:30 seems to come earlier and earlier.

bigten05

*Supporting Member*
knox county ohio
Birds showing up at a few usual spots now. But not as many as I figured. Tennessee opened today my buddy is on them right now 9 Jake's in front of him. I'll be down there Wednesday til Sunday next week I don't plan on shooting a jake but im not coming home with out a bird.

Spencie

Constitution Ohio
Birds showing up at a few usual spots now. But not as many as I figured. Tennessee opened today my buddy is on them right now 9 Jake's in front of him. I'll be down there Wednesday til Sunday next week I don't plan on shooting a jake but im not coming home with out a bird.

If the first bird in is a jake and it's out of state...it's on!