Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

2017 Random Turkey Scouting

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
So while randomly driving around today looking at my Onx map for potential shed hunting spots I stumbled upon a 138 acre farm. Pulled in the drive, knocked on the door, and a nice old lady answered. I asked if I could shed hunt, she said she didn't mind but it has been walked already but most recent was 2 weeks ago. I figured what the hell and gave it a shot. Property is split in half by a twp road, I walked the half with the most woods first with no luck on sheds. Walked across the road and walked the other half which is mostly pasture, and that's when I heard hens yelping from the woods. I quickly ducked down and listened until I heard them again. So after hearing that I walked back to the truck, pulled up the driveway, and knocked on the door again. I asked her if anyone turkey hunts the farm and she said no, not really. Her grandson does sometimes but doesn't have any patience. So I asked if she cared if I turkey hunted and she told me to have at it! Then she tells me she sees them every evening around 6 and every morning in her small alfalfa field across the road! That's 2 properties I have gotten turkey permission on without even seeing a bird:) Upon leaving I looked back up in the field where I heard the yelps and sure as shit there was about 40 birds, 2 strutters.

Spencie

Constitution Ohio
I have no idea how many birds I heard this morning but they were all across the road. I had them on cam all day yesterday up until 7:30 pm. It seems a lot of the hens are still together.

bigten05

*Supporting Member*
knox county ohio
waiting on this day at work to end then tomorrow about this time ill be heading to tennesse. my buddies have all killed so far and they say there hammering on the tree then quite til about 10 then gobbling pretty good again said there hard to pull away from the hens right now. weather is suppose to get cooler down there with lows in the 30s and highs around 55 or 60 i just hope its not windy as hell you cant hear anything down there in the ridges when the wind is bad.

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
Scouting is planned for the week of the 15th when i am off work and when i am not working on hive stands or the raised bed garden (see other threads).

Fletch

Supporting Member
BigTen.... Congrats on the birds..... With this warming trend moving across the country, this week the gobbling activity should really heat up....

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County

Well I found out where they are roosting on the new property 😎

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County

Couple more from a different spot, that asshole strutter couldn't even wait til he got up in the trail to strut so I could get a nice pic😂