Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Using an Aider with Climbing Sticks

Definately different I must say and interesting... But I gotta ask: How comfortable is an all day sit???
I've talked with a few of the long time users of Tree Saddles and they tell me that everyone fidgets around, on an all day hunt...no matter what type of stand is being used. There are back bands for support to make a difference for all day sits. Also, these same Tree Saddle users are saying that this method is just another tool in the hunter's arsenal and not meant to be the "only way" to hunt. :cool:

The "pros" are less weight to carry in to the hunting location. This is huge for me, because I never leave anything set up. It always goes in and out with me, due to theft reasons. Both of my hunting stands are over 24 lbs. :rolleyes: The Tree Saddle with its accessories will be at or less than 10 lbs.
Climbing with this type of set up will require doing it during daylight hours to become familiar with its use. Doing so without having prior experience is foolish. I've done the same thing, the first few times I switched from a climbing stand to a hang-on stand with climbing sticks. Just the same, using the "1 Stick" method of climbing and rappelling down in the predawn hours or after sunset, is NOT something that interests me. (n)
There are well known bow hunters that are using these Tree Saddles that are retired and well into their 70s. So, it's not just for someone in their 20s or 30s. Just the same, it's another method of hunting that has its application, but may not be for everyone. :)

Bowhunter57

Reactions: Buckkillr
Ok gentlemen.... If it floats your boat go for it.... Just not for me.... As for carrying in four sticks...Its done once maybe in August, then come hunting season I have nothing to tote in except for my gun and bow.... Definately different I must say and interesting... But I gotta ask: How comfortable is an all day sit???
This setup is for mobile hunting. Basically for sitting somewhere new all the time. For preset trees on private I still use ladderstands.

Reactions: Mike and Buckkillr

Buckkillr

Athens
For me a saddle is more comfortable than any stand I have except my climber and thinking about a climbers seat is sorta like a saddle. Other thing I like about saddles is you set up facing where the deer hopefully come from but you have a tree between you and them and can easily move at least halfway around the tree always keeping the tree between you and deer and can get in any size tree, for example last year I was in a new area that looked awesome but only young growth tree's were available, I found a cluster of 3 softball sized tree's that worked perfect and no way of hanging a stand out of

For me a saddle is more comfortable than any stand I have except my climber and thinking about a climbers seat is sorta like a saddle. Other thing I like about saddles is you set up facing where the deer hopefully come from but you have a tree between you and them and can easily move at least halfway around the tree always keeping the tree between you and deer and can get in any size tree, for example last year I was in a new area that looked awesome but only young growth tree's were available, I found a cluster of 3 softball sized tree's that worked perfect and no way of hanging a stand out of

The whole behind the tree thing is a double edge sword in my opinion. If you have a deer come in behind you then you are more likely to get picked off as you are visible and you aren't as likely to see them before they see you. In a conventional stand you have the tree blocking you, so they are less likely to pick you off. Obviously you try to setup so that won't happen or that you still have good cover. This is the one negative I have seen with saddles.

Milo

Tatonka guide.
For me, I can say I shave almost never said I wish I could get higher in a tree. It’s always “I wish my stand was in THAT tree. Now I can do that with such little effort

Reactions: Buckkillr and cspot

Creamer

Athens
The whole behind the tree thing is a double edge sword in my opinion. If you have a deer come in behind you then you are more likely to get picked off as you are visible and you aren't as likely to see them before they see you. In a conventional stand you have the tree blocking you, so they are less likely to pick you off. Obviously you try to setup so that won't happen or that you still have good cover. This is the one negative I have seen with saddles.

Not to get too off-topic, but what I do in my saddle setups is try to set up so that deer are walking left-to-right/right-to-left as I face the tree. For me, that means less movement to get in position if deer come from a direction I don't expect, and the tree can still help cover me a bit while I draw. I also have constant neck pain issues (getting older sucks), so not having to rubberneck around and look behind me so much is more comfortable for me.

Reactions: Bowhunter57
Not to get too off-topic, but what I do in my saddle setups is try to set up so that deer are walking left-to-right/right-to-left as I face the tree. For me, that means less movement to get in position if deer come from a direction I don't expect, and the tree can still help cover me a bit while I draw. I also have constant neck pain issues (getting older sucks), so not having to rubberneck around and look behind me so much is more comfortable for me.

Yes I do the same when I set up, and yes it is easier for me to see behind me as I can pivot a little to help out my neck that doesn't turn that well. LOL. It is just that you are more exposed behind you than in a conventional treestand setup. That is about the only negative I have found with saddle hunting.

Reactions: Creamer