Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Using an Aider with Climbing Sticks

What are the pros and cons of using an Aider in conjunction with climbing sticks?
🤔

Obviously, using less climbing sticks is a pro. I'm curious as to the actual use of the Aider and the complications that may or may not come with its' use.

Thank you, Bowhunter57

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
What are the pros and cons of using an Aider in conjunction with climbing sticks?
🤔

Obviously, using less climbing sticks is a pro. I'm curious as to the actual use of the Aider and the complications that may or may not come with its' use.

Thank you, Bowhunter57
One con... they can be tricky to step into when it’s dark, and if you don’t do it right it can kick out from the tree and cause you to fall. There’s definitely a “way” to properly use aiders.

Reactions: Bowhunter57

Fletch

Supporting Member
Ok.... Looked that up and from what I see it's a rope ladder... Just my opinion.... But rather use an extra ladder stick...

Reactions: Spencie

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
Here is the one that I made but I haven't tested it. 1 1/2" webbing with water knot with sewn ends and a leather sewn-in foot stirrup. The leather holds the loop open a bit more than having nothing there. I'll let you know how it works when it warms up a bit. My math tells me that I can get up to 24' with four 20" hawk Helium sticks and this aider if necessary.
IMG_20210214_061928597.jpg
IMG_20210214_061953208.jpg
IMG_20210214_061933718~2.jpg

One con... they can be tricky to step into when it’s dark, and if you don’t do it right it can kick out from the tree and cause you to fall. There’s definitely a “way” to properly use aiders.

This is a good point above. I use one with the saddle since I 1-stick up the tree and then rappel down. With 1 sticking I am just advancing my tether up the tree as I go. I rappel down so I don't have the issue of finding the loop in the dark..

When I was using 4 sticks, I would just run an aider on the lower set of sticks. This way if I had an issue I was close to the ground. If I was wanting to run on multiple sticks then I would look at a Carry as you go aider. This way you can leave it attached to your foot.

The pros is you can add height to your climb without adding much weight or bulk.

I'm adding a photo of the Backwoods Aider brand and style that I'm considering to purchase.
I think this style of open loops would be best to keep the risk of not getting your foot/boot in the loop. Even so, after getting a foot inside the loop, you're going to have to "toe" the tree to keep from kicking out and losing the step. (y)

Bowhunter57

Attachments

• Backwoods Aider.jpg
    Backwoods Aider.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 186
Reactions: cspot

Milo

Tatonka guide.
I personally feel a two step aider is for younger and more experienced folks. Try a single first and see if you can get used to it. If your going to anything but Amsteel you might as well buy another stick as you will be arguing over ounces.. I just bought better sticks and they make the difference.. no aider needed

If your going to anything but Amsteel you might as well buy another stick as you will be arguing over ounces.. I just bought better sticks and they make the difference.. no aider needed
Milo,
I currently own 4 of the original Muddy Sticks, which are 32" long , have 3 fixed steps and weigh 3.4 lbs. each. :rolleyes:
I was thinking of only using 3 sticks and an Aider to avoid the added weight and still attain the height in a tree. Even so, 3 sticks weigh 10.2 lbs. This might not seem like much weight, but when you're comparing it to the current climbing stick market, they're about double the weight. I gave some thought to selling them and starting over, but that might not work out considering that everything on the current market is lighter weight than what I own. 🙃

The tree saddle that I ordered, along with a platform is supposed to be delivered this coming Wednesday. I think I'll try climbing with 3 sticks see how high it gets me into a tree. Two sticks with an Aider, might get me as high as 3 sticks. If that works out, 3 sticks might be all I need...with an Aider. I won't know actual numbers until I do some climbing. An Aider like the one I posted above are only $45.
Of course, this next snow storm might put some of this on hold for a few days. :mad:

Bowhunter57

Milo,
I currently own 4 of the original Muddy Sticks, which are 32" long , have 3 fixed steps and weigh 3.4 lbs. each. :rolleyes:
I was thinking of only using 3 sticks and an Aider to avoid the added weight and still attain the height in a tree. Even so, 3 sticks weigh 10.2 lbs. This might not seem like much weight, but when you're comparing it to the current climbing stick market, they're about double the weight. I gave some thought to selling them and starting over, but that might not work out considering that everything on the current market is lighter weight than what I own. 🙃

The tree saddle that I ordered, along with a platform is supposed to be delivered this coming Wednesday. I think I'll try climbing with 3 sticks see how high it gets me into a tree. Two sticks with an Aider, might get me as high as 3 sticks. If that works out, 3 sticks might be all I need...with an Aider. I won't know actual numbers until I do some climbing. An Aider like the one I posted above are only $45.
Of course, this next snow storm might put some of this on hold for a few days. :mad:

Bowhunter57

You may want to look into 1 sticking if you will have a saddle. Takes a bit to get used to, but then your height is unlimited. I recommend rappelling down though if you do 1 stick as it is faster. Plus it is fun. LOL.

Milo

Tatonka guide.
My 4 stick set weighs 6 pounds. The 3 step sticks I had before this were inefficient because I could setup much higher per step than the sticks had laid out. I went to 20’s. I might try an aider on two but right now I think I will be fine. No one sticking for me...

Buckkillr

Athens
What exactly is 1 sticking? How would that work. I'm currently looking into saddle hunting.
Climb ladder, hang in saddle, move ladder up, climb up and so on to height and then usually rappel down

I have aider on my bottom ladder only. Getting you foot in it at dark can be a huge pain sometimes and if you don't get your foot locked in good it'll slip off tree causing a fall which is why I'm only using on bottom ladder only. I hear cable aiders are better because of the ridgedness of them staying open better and hang out off tree better but I don't know

Fletch

Supporting Member
Sorry gentlemen.... Not for me.... Looks like a PIA to get up a tree and IMO don't look very comfortable... Also safety looks like an issue... Just hang a stand with attached ladder sticks or use a climber... What's the advantage??? Less weight to carry in??? There was something similiar in the 80's caused an Anderson Tree Sling... It came and went... Just my .02 cents....

Reactions: tracker 6 and "J"

Creamer

Athens
I've been interested in the cable aiders Lone Wolf sells for their sticks. If I'm trying one, it's going to be a rigid wire loop that won't be a PITA to use in the dark. My hang up is, will it really be enough (adding one more step to each stick) to remove an entire stick from my setup? If not, I probably won't do it. I use the larger LW sticks with three steps per stick. Right now, I am using 3 sticks to get to my hunting height. If I could drop a stick, that would cut a couple pounds off my pack in weight. My happy spot for height with my recurve/saddle setup is around 12ish feet.

I've played with the Wild Edge style steps, thinking if I could add one or two of those I could drop a stick from my setup. I understand there are people out there who love them...I ain't one of them. I hate those things with a passion. I think I carried one with me on 2 hunts this past season, and by the second time I was ready to chuck the thing over the hill.

Buckkillr

Athens
Sorry gentlemen.... Not for me.... Looks like a PIA to get up a tree and IMO don't look very comfortable... Also safety looks like an issue... Just hang a stand with attached ladder sticks or use a climber... What's the advantage??? Less weight to carry in??? There was something similiar in the 80's caused an Anderson Tree Sling... It came and went... Just my .02 cents....
Anderson slings are quite popular again lol.

I didn't like one sticking myself, just to many moves and by the time you add rope weight etc there wasn't alot of weight savings let alone cost. With my aider and 3 sticks I can get 18+ ft, plenty high enough

You would be surprised. It takes doing it a few times to get the hang of it. Work wise it is no different than hanging 4 sets of sticks to get up the tree. I usually make it up to hunting height by moving the one stick 3 to 4 times. I am saving about 5 or 6 pounds of weight and some bulk carrying in those extra sticks. It is also just as safe as I am always tethered to the tree with the tether and saddle.

If you told me a few years ago that I would be 1 sticking and then rappelling down the tree, I would have said the same things that you did. However after doing it, I don't see me ever going back to carrying 4 sticks. Only exception may be if I was always hunting close to the truck or the house and didn't have to walk far.

Fletch

Supporting Member
Ok gentlemen.... If it floats your boat go for it.... Just not for me.... As for carrying in four sticks...Its done once maybe in August, then come hunting season I have nothing to tote in except for my gun and bow.... Definately different I must say and interesting... But I gotta ask: How comfortable is an all day sit???