Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Truck Leveling

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Dude! You lost me. Are you saying with a 2" level I WILL get a wobble?

Are asking if my truck is level as it is now? It isn't. There is a 2 1/2 difference.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1338601860.784173.jpg

If this is a stupid move, by all means, tell me! I don't know shit. All I know is what I've read on the dodge forums and the guys say it rides the same and looks better. In fact, some say they have an improved ride.
As far as it looking funny when it's loaded down... I rarely haul heavy loads. Not sure if that's what you meant.

I'm all ears though for insight from you guys that have done this.

Last edited:

5Cent

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
North Central Ohio
Dude! You lost me. Are you saying with a 2" level I WILL get a wobble?

Are asking if my truck is level as it is now? It isn't. There is a 2 1/2 difference.

View attachment 7146

If this is a stupid move, by all means, tell me! I don't know shit. All I know is what I've read on the dodge forums and the guys say it rides the same and looks better. In fact, some say they have an improved ride.
As far as it looking funny when it's loaded down... I rarely haul heavy loads. Not sure if that's what you meant.

I'm all ears though for insight from you guys that have done this.

No no, each truck is different. Death wobble should not show it's face with 2" leveling, you're fine. To have someone say "it improved my ride" is completely subjective. Trucks now adays are so close to riding like cars, it's scary. Some like that squishy, soft feeling, some like that quick rebound wheels glued to the road feeling. It is personal preference.

Good to hear you're doing the research. That's all you can do. If you do not plan on "wheelin" the truck, then a simple 2" hockey puck spacer will be fine. You will not have to do anything to the rest of the rig unless the Dodge has something unique about it's design. Do the research on the truck forums and you'll be good to go. I'm a sucker for a "tuned" suspension, so if it were me, I'd be lookiing at some Bilsteins after the install. It will completely change the attitude of the truck. The same can be said for the tires. Going from a P to an LT, or changing ranges (C to D, or even E - no need for an E really) will give you that different variable also........all comes down to what you're looking to use the truck for.

The picture doesn't really show a 2.5" rake to me, so that's why I asked. Most 1/2 tons have it b/c the spring rate is soft. If you find that you end up loading her, or she ends up saggin the rear, you can always do something (no blocks please!) to stiffin the rear end up.

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Dang Adam, I need you to hold my hand through this! Lol
You seem very knowledgable on this.

The main thing I've seen is guys complaint of a wobble in 4wd at higher speeds.

I really don't want to lift the truck all around so I'm hoping just leveling it will give me a little "tougher" look. Or am I crazy and won't really notice much difference?

I take another pic tomorrow that goes the difference in front and rear a little better. It is pretty noticeable.

5Cent

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
North Central Ohio
Dang Adam, I need you to hold my hand through this! Lol
You seem very knowledgable on this.

The main thing I've seen is guys complaint of a wobble in 4wd at higher speeds.

I really don't want to lift the truck all around so I'm hoping just leveling it will give me a little "tougher" look. Or am I crazy and won't really notice much difference?

I take another pic tomorrow that goes the difference in front and rear a little better. It is pretty noticeable.

4wd systems are a beautiful thing my friend, and.....

You'll be just fine. It's one of those things that is scary at first, but it's a mechanical system. I am not familiar with the setup of the newer dodges, therefore I can't go into specifics.

To be generic: a 2" leveling kit for "most" 4wd platforms these days are a cheap, easy, and effective upgrade. You could also change the look of your truck a decent amount by just changing rubber (which you'll most likely do with the leveling kit, right?).

New tires (measured and known for max size or under, for OEM chassis height) can do a good deal for the look, but depends on what you plan on doing with the truck. The intended use has to be known first and foremost. A rig like C1000 has a completely different intentinal use than your rig. I personally feel with the 20" chrome wheels, you're going to need more than 2" of lift to be happy if you do a suspension lift, unless you can stuff some pretty good rubber in there at OEM height.

Essentially every chassis system is built off one of the general designs (SFA, IFS). Each component adds to the final weighted position of the system as a whole. Each component (coil springs, leaf springs, shackles, shocks, UCA's, LCA's, torsion bars, etc) all play a specific role. If one of those components is out of spec for it's intended use, then the system as a whole suffers and/or, over time (sometimes immediately) comes apart (i.e. death wobble).

Keep it as close to OEM specs (angles, etc.), the better. Understand what the role of each component is in the system and you'll begin to understand what changes when you alter that component. A steering stablizer is nothing more than a "shock" mounted in the horizontal position. If you want to really avoid or fix death wobble, then you have to understand what component does not fit the system. Sometimes wobble (or commonly vibration) is from a driveline issue. You will kill U-joints and other joints/gear boxes prematurely.

Last edited:

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I have a suggestion for you Cotty. This will save you some money. Just throw some weight in the bed of that truck and use it as a truck. That will level it out. :smiley_crocodile:

I had to tease. I am just jealous I don't have a "Dirk series" Dodge. I am not looking for a lift kit for my Dodge, but I did just get my Timbrens from UPS this week. This will help me with keeping the dually from squatting too much when I have her loaded.

5Cent

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
North Central Ohio
I have a suggestion for you Cotty. This will save you some money. Just throw some weight in the bed of that truck and use it as a truck. That will level it out. :smiley_crocodile:

I had to tease. I am just jealous I don't have a "Dirk series" Dodge. I am not looking for a lift kit for my Dodge, but I did just get my Timbrens from UPS this week. This will help me with keeping the dually from squatting too much when I have her loaded.

Nice work on the Timbrens hicks. Also help stabalize...sexy sexy.

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Adam, according to everything I've read, I can do at least 33's with just the leveling kit. Some claim 35's are do-able without spacers.

As far as what I'm using the truck for? It's a family ride that serves to get me to work and to my hunting spots. I do need 4wd to get to some spots, but don't need a real aggressive tire.
90% of the time this truck is on pavement until deer season rolls around.

5Cent

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
North Central Ohio
So you're saying I won't notice much difference in appearance with my stock tires?
What size tires do you recommend for what I'm looking for?

No, not saying that at all. I think once you got a 2" leveler on there, you're going to get the fever b/c those stockers are going to look small There will be wheel well to fill it's tough to not start thinking of the next step.....trust me lol. I donno what stock tire size is, so it's hard to say what going to a 33 will look like.

I have a hard time believing 35's will fit under there and not rub when fully cranked (steering locked side 2 side). What size did you plan on running with the leveling kit? If you were going to get 33's, then start there (if they'll fit OEM height) and see if you think you still want to level it.

Or.....just fuggin do it. You have nothing to worry about with a front leveling/spacer kit,except the warranty which you're checking into. Bite the bullet and do it, the longer you think about it, the more chit you start to worry about .

Last edited:

5Cent

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
North Central Ohio
LOL, nice on the ebay stuff.

That's hard to say on the red truck. Definitely some offset there (which will kill your bearings/hubs), but I believe he's also done something all the way around suspension wise. You can change the lines by trimming fenders and such, but I don't think he did with those bushwackers. Almost looks like he has 18's, which is causing a difference in the tire profile. The more "rubber" you see, the larger the tire looks. With a 20" wheel, and low profile tires now, you will notice quite a difference there.

You have to decide:
-How much do you want to spend?
-How much clearance do you want to gain?

I would estimate that Red truck has 3-3.5K in it, most in the wheels and tires.

If you're only using for hunting, you may gain enough and get the look with just a tire and/or wheel & tire swap. Your best answer is to keep up on those forums for those with actual Ram's and figure out what ya gotta do.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
You have to decide:
-How much do you want to spend?
-How much clearance do you want to gain?

I would estimate that Red truck has 3-3.5K in it, most in the wheels and tires.

If you're only using for hunting, you may gain enough and get the look with just a tire and/or wheel & tire swap. Your best answer is to keep up on those forums for those with actual Ram's and figure out what ya gotta do.

I have wasted your time and joked around here. Adam nailed it with these two lines. Of course, his other info was also very informative in my opinion.

How much do you want to spend? That is the answer you need to find first I would say. Honestly? If you are just using it for hunting and want the most bang for your buck, I would think some more aggressive tires on truck would probably satisfy all of your needs. Above and beyond that, I would have to say are wants. I believe most every factory truck out there today will deliver about 95-99% of our needs. The Toyota you had was a badass truck and this Dodge you bought is also pretty sweet. I think you need to decide how much you are willing to spend for the look you are going for. Jumping on some forums to see how others have customized their trucks and what they think of their mods afterwords is probably your best bet.

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Thanks guys. I appreciate the input and I'm taking it all in. More than likely, after I've priced everything. It will just end up with a leveling and deciding on tires later. From what you guys said and what i've read, I just dont want to get into changing that much and spending that much.

As far as the bushwackers, well... they just won't look right unless I widen the stance. So I guess I will wait on those until I decide on my tires and rims later.

Phil, you nailed it. Are these needs or wants? I think we can all agree they are just wants. I guess I have truck envy of those guys that can do all this on their own and save some coin by doing so. So, I guess I will just take baby steps and do the leveling first. It defenitely needs that. I love th truck, but the nose down look kinda bothers me. It's funny... I never really noticed it before, but the more I sat on the front porch drinking beer and staring at the truck the more I picked it apart.
I'd be better off parking it and walking away without looking at it.

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
One other thing... I've mentioned about putting 33's on my truck. Well, I found out that my tires (P275 60 R20) are equivelent to 33's. R19 are 32, R18 are 31, and R17 are 30. I'll be damned...

So, one of the decisions will be go to 35's or not. But, I will have to find out if I have the room without rubbing. Some forums say yes while others say no.