Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Tennessee Thunder 2019

bigten05

*Supporting Member*
knox county ohio
Most gobbles ive ever heard today all of us had good hunts but my buddy was the only one that connected. Were gonna keep after them.

Attachments

• 20190330_072612.jpg
    20190330_072612.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 318
  • 11290.jpeg
    11290.jpeg
    185.9 KB · Views: 289

bigten05

*Supporting Member*
knox county ohio
Had some really good hunts. My buddies was the only one we got. Got close a few times was about to pull the trigger on a stud gobbler when the wind gusted and the decoy about blew over he spun and got to the next county they gobbled hard even when the temp was in the upper 20s. Your gonna blow their beaks off this week spencie. Its gonna get real good. Next year ill go the 2nd or third week its always better then.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
One is better than none. As brock says all the fun without the mess.

Alex and I will be heading g to Ky to hunt the opener as well.

Spencie

Constitution Ohio
We have decided on an area in NE Tennessee. We will access it from Virginia and may need tags for TN, Va and NC! No clue on the amount of birds there or the competition but I like the terrain features the area holds. I doubt we can drive to where we want to camp so it's another pack in adventure. It looks like rain the first morning then good weather the rest of the weekend.

bigten05

*Supporting Member*
knox county ohio
We have decided on an area in NE Tennessee. We will access it from Virginia and may need tags for TN, Va and NC! No clue on the amount of birds there or the competition but I like the terrain features the area holds. I doubt we can drive to where we want to camp so it's another pack in adventure. It looks like rain the first morning then good weather the rest of the weekend.
thats where we hunt morristown rutledge and have a spot over the mountain near blackwater virginia. kyles ford is another area we hunt. lots of birds there.

Spencie

Constitution Ohio
thats where we hunt morristown rutledge and have a spot over the mountain near blackwater virginia. kyles ford is another area we hunt. lots of birds there.

We are going to start NE of Laurel Bloomery. We have to access the area from Virginia. I’m hoping you are right about lots of birds.

Spencie

Constitution Ohio
We actually have service on top of the mountain. Drove in last night, the last 3 miles on a well road. 20+ mph winds and heavy rain. Probably going to sit it out until it lets up. The one thing we never thought of is “do turkeys stay at the higher elevations”. Today doesn’t look like a good day to hear birds but tomorrow and Sunday do. Hope we can make it back the well road Sunday afternoon or we may get a few more days of hunting.

bigten05

*Supporting Member*
knox county ohio
Yep they will work 3/4 or the way up the mountain to roost most of the time when we find them. Unless they are using a field first thing in the morning. If its windy they will prolly be a little lower than usual.

Reactions: Spencie

Spencie

Constitution Ohio
We may have messed this one up. Looks like great turkey hunting but no sign at all. Rained until noon and the fog hasn’t lifted. Maybe tomorrow will be better

bigten05

*Supporting Member*
knox county ohio
Tyler heard one gobble way off this morning. We packed up to try someplace different. Great turkey woods. No sign. Probably do a quick hunt in the morning and if it’s more of the same we will lick our wounds and head home.
Man that sucks. Talked to my buddies today and they said the birds are working good for them. My buddy works with a guy that has doubled with another guy the last 2 mornings on public.

Reactions: Spencie

Spencie

Constitution Ohio
We are home. If anyone needs a good recommendation on a turkey hunt in Tennessee I can tell you where NOT to go. Beautiful turkey looking terrain. Absolutely void of wildlife....no turkeys, deer, songbirds....... We did see some grouse and the boys walked up on a young bear. But that's it. I didn't expect to kill a ton of birds but thought we would get to play with some.

Stay away from extreme NE Tennessee...specifically the "triangle" where Tn, Va and NC all meet.

Reactions: cspot