Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Squirrel Doggin' 2015

Jamie

Ohio
IMG_53201.jpg

eating squirrels, saving lives. :smiley_coolpeace:

GoetsTalon

Supporting Member
Walbridge oh
This forum rocks!!! Want to give a big thank-you to Jamie for sharing his cleaning skill and tools and a big thank-you to Mike for giving me one of the gambrel s that he made. Can't wait to put these tools to work. The gambrel turned out really nice!!!!IMG_20160107_163037131.jpg

Jamie

Ohio
paying it forward, guys. I've figured some stuff out on my own, but most of the really clever things I know were taught to me by somebody who cared enough to bother showing me the way. now get out there and clip some rats so's you can put your new gear to the test.

Went over and hunted with my old timer squirrel dog guru and good friend this afternoon. he was diagnosed with lung cancer back in May, underwent two months of Chemo and Radiation therapy at age 75. tough sumbitch endured that, but has had some heart and other pulmonary trouble stemming from the radiation. he's getting better and better, but this has taken a serious toll on him. today is the first time he's squirrel hunted the whole season. he can't walk very far or fast, but he was ecstatic to be in the woods with his dogs again. impossible for him to do this without help anymore. I went on two very long walks after his dogs without him. I went hunting for a few hours this morn before I went to see him, killed three squirrels for him, and we got four more at his place. one of the best days of squirrel hunting I've had this season. sure hope I can get him out again before it's over.

Blan37

SW Ohio
Mike hooked me up too. Thanks, Mike! Haven't tried it out yet but hope to soon.

Thanks for posting this thread, Jamie. Great vid / tool / technique.

Jamie

Ohio
finally back out in the squirrel woods today now that the deer hunters are gone again. glad to be out, but it was a tough day. wasn't too bad at noon when we started with sunshine and light wind, but it clouded up within an hour or so, and the wind picked up. squirrels out good when we started, and we got three on the first drop. only treed two more live ones the rest of the afternoon. one of them ran in a hole when I tried to scare him out of the crevice he was hiding in, the other came home with us. four today on three short drops. dog had some issues today, though. he tried to leave two trees, both of which I ended up shooting a squirrel out of after I tied him up. to his credit, he winded one and did an impressive job of pinpointing the squirrel, eventually getting on the tree the squirrel was in. he gets a B- for his effort and behavior today. not a great showing for either of us, really. didn't shoot too good today. partially me just sucking, partially the cold. heavy wax coating on CCI standard velocity bullets does not lubricate, but rather creates chambering problem with a Bentz chamber on semi-automatic rifle in this kind of cold. when soft lead bullets don't quite find the chamber, not only does it cause gun to jam, but they end up getting deformed. might as well throw them at the squirrels instead of shooting them after that happens. we've had worse days, I guess.

1-13-16 2.jpg

Jamie

Ohio
took some long walks yesterday and only found four squirrels all day, three went to the bag, one bailed out and ran in a hole. dog still showing his ass pretty bad yesterday, but not as bad as Wednesday. tried yet another new area today. struck out in the first woods we hit. I don't think they were out real good until later in the morning. dog made several trees he was very sure of that were obvious dens, but no rats seen. we hit the jackpot on the second stop. had a limit in about an hour and a half, and dog did not make one empty tree.

1-15-16.jpg

GoetsTalon

Supporting Member
Walbridge oh
Great job!!! Lefty's lookin pretty proud with that batch! Joe wait till you use that gambrel it will put a smile on your face. The fish skinning pliers help out great also. Make the cuts just like Jamie's does and it will pull right off.

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
Nice work!
My pup treed two this morning. Unfortunately I can't discharge a firearm.
uploadfromtaptalk1452950493584.jpg

GoetsTalon

Supporting Member
Walbridge oh
That would be a easy shot lol. I use to shoot them out of the walnut tree in our side yard with my RWS pellet rifle but got some new neighbors and don't know how they would react if squirrels started dropping out of the sky lol. One year I got six straight sitting on the shitter shooting out the bathroom window lol.