Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Squirrel Doggin' 2015

Jamie

Ohio
Being ignorant too treeing dogs, how do you keep him on a tree? Put him on a lead and pin him? Or just make him sit there till you release him?

when he was younger, I would tie him at every tree he would try to leave as a way of training him that he is to stay until I release him. some guys do that to every dog, every tree, every time. with an experienced dog, you should not have to do that, I don't think. even when I know the squirrel is in a den or nest, I make him stay on the tree with commands and encouragement, then I just tell him "lets go" and start walking away, he follows most of the time, but I do still have to drag him off of a tree now and then. it's been a while since I actually had to put a lead on him and pull him away.

now when he leaves a tree (assuming that I'm not 200 yards away and can see him at the tree he is on) I just scold him and literally herd him back to the tree, and he'll go if I order him. middle of last season he got real bad leaving trees. my squirrel dog guru saw it one time and told me to get physical with Lefty, no holds barred. was his opinion that this was a dog that knows what he is supposed to do, but is getting too big for his britches and doing what he wants instead. He was exactly right. I started scolding, toning/zapping him if he was being real bad. after I lit him up a couple of times, he got over himself. I still forced him back on a tree now and then with the toe of my boot, but he got past it by the end of last season. Quite literally, I had to show him that I was the boss. A dog as tree minded and experienced as Lefty knows exactly what he is supposed to do, and he usually does it. I still give him lots of encouragement when he is treed solid and holler at him when he tries to wander off. he's getting better and better at not wandering off once he commits. what I really want him to do is to not commit so quickly when he isn't sure. that's going to be up to him to figure out some of those colder tracks do not deserve his attention, and he is getting there. More and more I see him cold tracking and very quickly deciding to move on rather than milling around then opening up on a tree that he isn't sure of. Part of that is on me, too. If I see him milling around or looking like he is going to open up when he clearly isn't sure, I move him on. that's good progress for both of us, and should get better and better as he fully matures and keeps hunting. I guess I would equate that to a rabbit dogs check backs getting shorter and shorter as they gain experience and confidence in their nose.

Last edited:

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
when he was younger, I would tie him at every tree he would try to leave as a way of training him that he is to stay until I release him. some guys do that to every dog, every tree, every time. with an experienced dog, you should not have to do that, I don't think. even when I know the squirrel is in a den or nest, I make him stay on the tree with commands and encouragement, then I just tell him "lets go" and start walking away, he follows most of the time, but I do still have to drag him off of a tree now and then. it's been a while since I actually had to put a lead on him and pull him away.

now when he leaves a tree (assuming that I'm not 200 yards away and can see him at the tree he is on) I just scold him and literally herd him back to the tree, and he'll go if I order him. middle of last season he got real bad leaving trees. my squirrel dog guru saw it one time and told me to get physical with Lefty, no holds barred. was his opinion that this was a dog that knows what he is supposed to do, but is getting too big for his britches and doing what he wants instead. He was exactly right. I started scolding, toning/zapping him if he was being real bad. after I lit him up a couple of times, he got over himself. I still forced him back on a tree now and then with the toe of my boot, but he got past it by the end of last season. Quite literally, I had to show him that I was the boss. A dog as tree minded and experienced as Lefty knows exactly what he is supposed to do, and he usually does it. I still give him lots of encouragement when he is treed solid and holler at him when he tries to wander off. he's getting better and better at not wandering off once he commits. what I really want him to do is to not commit so quickly when he isn't sure. that's going to be up to him to figure out some of those colder tracks do not deserve his attention, and he is getting there. More and more I see him cold tracking and very quickly deciding to move on rather than milling around then opening up on a tree that he isn't sure of. Part of that is on me, too. If I see him milling around or looking like he is going to open up when he clearly isn't sure, I move him on. that's good progress for both of us, and should get better and better as he fully matures and keeps hunting. I guess I would equate that to a rabbit dogs check backs getting shorter and shorter as they gain experience and confidence in their nose.

Great info, thanks for posting and enlightening me.... Never spent anytime with a squirrel dog and only limited time with coon hounds and most of that time was looking for them....

Jamie

Ohio
Since Nancy home from school on thanksgiving break we went and tried a couple of new areas on public ground today. been studying satellite images of various public hunting areas looking for some new places to hunt. we certainly struck gold with the two spots we tried today. lots of squirrel nests, good timber and habitat for rats. got four in first spot, and I m-m-missed one other. got three in the second spot for a total of 7. dog hunted hard for us treeing 8 that we shot at, but made lots of empty trees today that he was very sure of. he did stay treed exceptionally well today, never wandering at all until I excused him, and was very sure of himself, but squirrel just not there several times. still, a productive day of adventurin' in some new areas that appear to be loaded with squirrels and devoid of deer hunters. photographer not at the top of his game, though.

11-27-15.jpg

Jamie

Ohio
now that all that pesky deer killing is over with, we are getting down to bidness in squirrel woods. got a little bit of a late start today, but it didn't matter. I didn't see a squirrel until nearly 11 this morning. once they started moving, Lefty ate them up again today. had our limit shortly after lunch.

12-8-15 3.jpg12-8-15.jpg

squirrel hunting is like being a child again. it's just plain, unadulterated fun.

Jamie

Ohio
for our first full week of squirrel hunting, we did pretty good. I had to take Wednesday off to run some errands, went to investigate a new place on some public ground on Thursday. was not a very good day. squirrels not moving at either of the two places I went, but we covered a good bit of new ground and revisited some old and only managed three squirrels. two we got at the new place, our first stop. Might try it again there this week.
12-10-15.jpg

Friday was a career day for the dog. we started hunting at 9, and I put squirrel number six in my vest at 10:30. squirrels really moving good for a short time in the morning and we were in the right place. We went a ways before he found the first one, which I made a perfect head shot on. usually when you head shoot them they lunge or convulse or something and fly out of the tree in dramatic fashion. this one did not flinch, but just slunked straight down a few inches into a crotch just big enough to keep him up there. I put two more in his lifeless head to try and move him enough to knock him out, but no dice. Meanwhile, while I was wasting ammo, Lefty must have seen another squirrel because he sprinted off the tree about 80 yards to another and cut loose. I picked up an empty Gator-Ade bottle and placed it on a dead stump to mark the location of dead rat number one and hurried over to the dog, found the squirrel, made the shot, picked her up and headed back to the first one. found my marker and the squirrel, made my way to the opposite side of tree from where I originally shot to see if could shoot him out from there. nothing to lose, so I put a couple directly beneath his tail with a quick "double tap" and out he came, with nary a mark on him besides his pulverized head from the first three rounds. they get hung up sometimes, and this is part of the game, but it bothers me a lot to leave them. shooting them out only works about 25% of the time, but it's always worth a try.

So off we go several hundred yards, and Lefty is out about 150 yards ahead and treed solid. we are approaching a property line, but it is not marked in any way, so I'm not exactly sure where it is.The two ladder stands 30 yards apart was a good enough indicator for me. dog is treed right on the line, and I see the squirrel. after brief consideration of where I am, I decide that I'm in good shape and start to move into position for a shot. I'm about 30 yards from the tree wading through a tangle of greenbriars heading to the only sturdy tree in sight to use for a rest when I jump a rabbit. Lefty heard, saw it and sprints off of the tree. My blood pressure went up about 50 mm of Hg in the blink of an eye. I can't believe my head didn't explode. I couldn't pull my trainer out fast enough while screaming at the dog. gave him the tone while still shouting, turn it up to lowest stimulation and laid on it, which got his attention and snapped him out of chase mode. I ordered him back on to the tree, and the squirrel was still there, so I shot it out once the dog settled back on the tree. major screw up by the dog. left a tree to chase trash. I should have lit him up with full power just for meanness. at least he went right back to the tree and finished his job. after all the shouting and commotion, I figured we best move along quickly, just in case we may have drawn unwanted attention.

We go another 300 yards or so, and Lefty trees again, literally right on the property line, which is the woods we're in and a mowed field. mowed field off limits. I find the squirrel and notice a second one in same tree. I nailed the first one, the second ran up to the tree top, down the tree to the ground where Lefty was waiting with his mouth wide open. Squirrel runs back up the tree, slow enough that I can get the scope on it and I shot it running up the main trunk. didn't lead it quite enough and saw that I hit right in the ribs instead of the head. squirrel runs up to the first fork and tries to climb onto the branch, but could not hold on for long and tumbled out a few seconds later. number four and five in the bag. I'm thinking to myself that this is a little surreal, and my adrenaline is pumping pretty good by now. all of what I just described happened in about 45 minutes! 5 large fox squirrels in my Filson strap vest is a sizeable load, so I took a moment to adjust straps, gather my wit, and down some water. I head back in the direction of the truck, pretty optimistic that we can find one more somewhere along the 3/4 mile we have to cover, about half of which is good timber. just about when I'm thinking I need to call in the dog and go to the truck, Lefty starts singing for me again. number six didn't come quietly, though. I hit some twigs on my first two shots and squirrel bailed, but just kept running around in the tops of a couple trees, dog right with it. I just had to wait for it to stop long enough for me to get the reticle on it. had to take a little bit longer of a shot that I usually like, but managed a neck shot, which is practically as good as a head shot. :) Love is in the air in the squirrel woods. The first two were a boar and sow, very close together, probably feeling frisky, the two in same tree were a boar and sow, definitely feeling frisky. aside from the dogs' shithead moment of running off a tree and chasing a damn rabbit, he was really performing.

12-11-15 2.jpg12-11-15 3.jpg12-11-15.jpg

Nancy had taken a half day off from work to come and meet us for an afternoon hunt. I pretty much had all the squirrels cleaned by the time she found us, so we ate lunch and hit a couple of other spots. made lots of den trees, but we did manage 4 more for the canner before calling it quits.

Went to Hocking county yesterday to squirrel hunt for the first time. dog did not hunt worth a darn. he was just plain worn out from hunting all week and the hills, humidity, and unseasonably warm weather wiped him out pretty fast. we got two greys, missed one and had two more timber out to holes on us before dog ran out of gas. was a short day, but we had plenty of action for a couple of hours. dog resting today and tomorrow. back after it on Tuesday.

Jamie

Ohio
thanks fellas.

squirrels not moving great today, but we managed to get a limit again. should have had it sooner, but I got a deflection and missed the first squirrel he treed. as soon as I shot, that one ran into a leaf nest. dog screwed up on the last one he treed before lunch. I spotted the squirrel pretty quick when I got to him, but couldn't make up his mind which tree and was bouncing as I moved into position to shoot. he eventually lost interest and left the tree, so I didn't shoot the squirrel. should have had 5 before lunch, but I cleaned three. went to a different spot and he found three more, and they all got dead. took us a while, and he made several den trees in between, but we got it done. dog gimpy with something in his foot. he REALLY doesn't want me to touch it. tried to bite me when I tried to examine. might be sleeping in tomorrow.

12-15-15 2.jpg12-15-15.jpg

Jamie

Ohio
foot trouble turned out to be nothing serious. I soaked his foot in Epsom salts, but he was fine in the morning yesterday. bum foot sure didn't slow him down any yesterday, but we did have a slightly more leisurely hunt. I killed 6, but left one hanging. pisser. cleaned 5.

12-16-15 2.jpg12-16-15.jpg

we were both a little tired yesterday. little bastard couldn't hardly keep his eyes open after I put him in the box. good thing I was driving. :smiley_bril: I think he might have snagged his toenail or something. his one toe was swollen yesterday, but was no worse after hunting a few hours, and it was not bothering him at all. looks even better today. game on.

Jamie

Ohio
I have a small gambrel I made that holds them by the back legs to pull skin down over their front shoulders and head, then holds them by the head/neck to pull remaining skin down over their back legs, sorta like the Koonts skinner, which I have used, but I don't own one. I like the way I'm doing it better for Fox squirrels, which are much harder to skin than those puny little Grey's they have down south, and what I seem to get the most of. I should make a squirrel skinning video.

the real secret to skinning squirrels is using fish skinning pliers.

Reactions: Left field