Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Remington 700 ML

Lundy

This may be a stupid question, but why would you spend that kind of money to turn a Rem 700 ML into a smokeless ML when you could just buy a brand new Savage smokeless ML?

Well. I already own 3 Savage MZ's. One is still a stock 50 cal, SS, Laminate. The other 2 I purchased custom made 45 cal barrels and converted them.

I originally purchased the Savage for 4 reasons, safety, no cleaning (almost), cost per shot of smokeless versus T7, 209, Pyrodex and performance that you just can't get from a MZ shooting the traditional black powder substitutes. The savages I purchased met all of those needs just fine. I love those guns and if I had never found out about some custom barrels I would have been a happy camper for a long time.

Fast forward a couple of years and a bunch of very dead deer. I was shooting a 300 gr bullet around 2400 FPS, that equals a lot of recoil. The factory barrel left a little to be desired and meant you needed to work a little bit to find and maintain the accuracy I demanded. It was under 3" at 200 yds but the POI seemed to shift just a little with 20 deg temp swings. This is not unusual for any MZ, smokeless or not.

While there are a lot of bullet choices to shoot from a 50 with a sabot, most of them are NOT suitable at velocities that smokeless pushed them. SST,s, Shockwaves, some XTP's just blow up on impact with any shot under 100 yds. The bullet choice, something with a decent BC, really left me a 300 Gr Barnes Original. These were fairly expensive, not always available from Barnes and the expansion was not as good as I want in a bullet. These were more suited to killing grizzly bears or moose than deer, although they did kill many a deer, never lost one.

Along came the custom barrels that could be made for the Savage both 45 and 50. These are match grade barrels that are extremely smooth and accurate. I converted one of my 50's to a 45. This provided me with a gun that shoots around 2700 FPS ( I could go faster if I wanted), with MUCH less recoil, is sub MOA out to 300 yds, shoots a 195 gr Barnes all copper bullet that is fantastic on deer, even at those velocities it holds together and penetrates very well. Call me silly but I really want to know where my bullet is going if and when I pull the trigger.

The 45 cal also gives me the option of shooting a full bore diameter bullet sabotless. A sabotless load is normally even more accurate than those with sabots. They are not effected by temp swings as much or barrel heat. This is what I will be building with the new build on the 700 ML action

Why do I want to build another one instead of just buying another Savage? Because even as good as the factory Savage is it doesn't give me the performance that I know I can have, Not the Savage or any other factory offered MZ can provide what I know is possible. I can however build the performance I seek with a rather easy build. It just costs money. I could literally sell my Savages, all of them, today by 6 PM if I wanted and not loose a dime on my investment

If you ever get a chance to shoot a custom smokeless MZ, like mine, at the range, I think you would understand.

For the record Savage is continuing production on a limited offering basis this year. Only blued models no stainless for now.

Last edited:

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I love the idea of muzzle loaders shooting like rifles! I have simply failed to find this combination for myself quite yet. Still working on it. I would love to have the accuracies you are getting with your muzzle loader, but I can't see me spending this kind of money on one. Just not my thing. Guess I would rather be done during bow season and use the gun seasons as a change of pace. Someday I will find my right combo with my muzzy. Then again, someday I will go on a rifle hunt too. lol

Darron

Dayton, Ohio
I have a remington ML 50 cal. Not stainless though (it's camo) with 3x9 bushell scope........would sell it for the right price. I have an extra Omega which I like better due ease of cleaning, but I'm not going to give it away.

How much are you looking to spend? You can PM me.

t4d6w6

Well. I already own 3 Savage MZ's. One is still a stock 50 cal, SS, Laminate. The other 2 I purchased custom made 45 cal barrels and converted them.

I originally purchased the Savage for 4 reasons, safety, no cleaning (almost), cost per shot of smokeless versus T7, 209, Pyrodex and performance that you just can't get from a MZ shooting the traditional black powder substitutes. The savages I purchased met all of those needs just fine. I love those guns and if I had never found out about some custom barrels I would have been a happy camper for a long time.

Fast forward a couple of years and a bunch of very dead deer. I was shooting a 300 gr bullet around 2400 FPS, that equals a lot of recoil. The factory barrel left a little to be desired and meant you needed to work a little bit to find and maintain the accuracy I demanded. It was under 3" at 200 yds but the POI seemed to shift just a little with 20 deg temp swings. This is not unusual for any MZ, smokeless or not.

While there are a lot of bullet choices to shoot from a 50 with a sabot, most of them are NOT suitable at velocities that smokeless pushed them. SST,s, Shockwaves, some XTP's just blow up on impact with any shot under 100 yds. The bullet choice, something with a decent BC, really left me a 300 Gr Barnes Original. These were fairly expensive, not always available from Barnes and the expansion was not as good as I want in a bullet. These were more suited to killing grizzly bears or moose than deer, although they did kill many a deer, never lost one.

Along came the custom barrels that could be made for the Savage both 45 and 50. These are match grade barrels that are extremely smooth and accurate. I converted one of my 50's to a 45. This provided me with a gun that shoots around 2700 FPS ( I could go faster if I wanted), with MUCH less recoil, is sub MOA out to 300 yds, shoots a 195 gr Barnes all copper bullet that is fantastic on deer, even at those velocities it holds together and penetrates very well. Call me silly but I really want to know where my bullet is going if and when I pull the trigger.

The 45 cal also gives me the option of shooting a full bore diameter bullet sabotless. A sabotless load is normally even more accurate than those with sabots. They are not effected by temp swings as much or barrel heat. This is what I will be building with the new build on the 700 ML action

Why do I want to build another one instead of just buying another Savage? Because even as good as the factory Savage is it doesn't give me the performance that I know I can have, Not the Savage or any other factory offered MZ can provide what I know is possible. I can however build the performance I seek with a rather easy build. It just costs money. I could literally sell my Savages, all of them, today by 6 PM if I wanted and not loose a dime on my investment

If you ever get a chance to shoot a custom smokeless MZ, like mine, at the range, I think you would understand.

For the record Savage is continuing production on a limited offering basis this year. Only blued models no stainless for now.

Lundy, Who did your Savage .45 conversion and who is building the 700 for you, Also what have you come up with for loads for the 700?

Lundy

Lundy, Who did your Savage .45 conversion and who is building the 700 for you, Also what have you come up with for loads for the 700?

Sorry just saw this question today.

Send me a PM and I'll get you all of the information you need.