Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Owl Hooters

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
While we're a little off the topic of calls, and on to tactics. I've never had a bird not respond to three hard cuts with a quick roll to fast aggressive yelps out of a loud pot call. A high tempo "CUT CUT CUT YELP YELP YELP YELP" with sharp notes and no roll out. Gets em every damn time. I feel that some of it is shock gobbling, but also with a flair of hen sounds. It plays to both aspects that makes a tom gobble. A good loud high pitch pot call should be able to reach way out there on them almost like a box call can.

Now something I have had happen numerous times is we've been working a bird still on the roost and he's gobbling hard and fast. I'm talking 100 times in 5 minutes hard. Once we get him completely falling all over himself gobbling we like to shutup and make him gobble to us. In essesnce we create some anxiety that the hot to trott hen has wandered off. We try to get him to the point that he is calling to us trying to make us yelp. On more than one occasion we've had some doug flutey start blowing a crow or owl call to try to locate him after we shutup. My guess is they could hear him gobbling his face off and was slipping towards him, then he kind of went silent except for the occasional gobble where he's trying to get us to yelp. I guess they assume he flew down and went quiet so they try to locate him. Every damn time that has happened that bird has gone cold as ice. From fired up gobbling to can't call a gobble out of him no matter what, and the only thing that happened was someone lit up a crow or owl call.

That's why we use the hard cuts and yelps as a locator. Sometimes we get the added bonus of pissing off a hen that's with the tom. Such loud aggressive cutting seems to piss off the boss hen pretty bad.

Sgt Fury

Sgt. Spellchecker
While we're a little off the topic of calls, and on to tactics. I've never had a bird not respond to three hard cuts with a quick roll to fast aggressive yelps out of a loud pot call. A high tempo "CUT CUT CUT YELP YELP YELP YELP" with sharp notes and no roll out. Gets em every damn time. I feel that some of it is shock gobbling, but also with a flair of hen sounds. It plays to both aspects that makes a tom gobble. A good loud high pitch pot call should be able to reach way out there on them almost like a box call can.

Now something I have had happen numerous times is we've been working a bird still on the roost and he's gobbling hard and fast. I'm talking 100 times in 5 minutes hard. Once we get him completely falling all over himself gobbling we like to shutup and make him gobble to us. In essesnce we create some anxiety that the hot to trott hen has wandered off. We try to get him to the point that he is calling to us trying to make us yelp. On more than one occasion we've had some doug flutey start blowing a crow or owl call to try to locate him after we shutup. My guess is they could hear him gobbling his face off and was slipping towards him, then he kind of went silent except for the occasional gobble where he's trying to get us to yelp. I guess they assume he flew down and went quiet so they try to locate him. Every damn time that has happened that bird has gone cold as ice. From fired up gobbling to can't call a gobble out of him no matter what, and the only thing that happened was someone lit up a crow or owl call.

That's why we use the hard cuts and yelps as a locator. Sometimes we get the added bonus of pissing off a hen that's with the tom. Such loud aggressive cutting seems to piss off the boss hen pretty bad.
That’s a great tactic that I use often. When a Tom is all henned up, I try to get in an argument with the boss hen, cutting her off and talking over her when she starts to talk. When she comes, she’ll bring the entire flock with her.

Reactions: Big_Holla

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
That’s a great tactic that I use often. When a Tom is all henned up, I try to get in an argument with the boss hen, cutting her off and talking over her when she starts to talk. When she comes, she’ll bring the entire flock with her.

If I can get a boss then fired up it's better than the Tom most days. Although I will say its 50/50 on if she comes looking for a fight or takes the Tom the other way.

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
Did anyone see the meateater branded pot call they're selling for $300‽ how can they possibly rationalize that cost?