Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Owl Hooters

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I'd like to ditch my plastic Hunters Specialties owl hooter in favor of a nicer wooden version. I can mimic a call with my voice, but not with a lot of volume. I've switched from deer to turkey on my YouTube watching and have heard some nice calls on a few shows. Was curious what this crowd is using for this owl calls. 🦃

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
You didn't ask but personally I never really use shock gobbles. If a bird won't answer a call he's usually super henned up and won't play anyway. Even a henned up bird that isn't going to come to you will usually still give a courtesy gobble. Just never felt a need to shock them as I'm not wasting time on a bird colder than pluto. I just keep him in mind and come back later in the day, or try a different day when he wants to work.

Sgt Fury

Sgt. Spellchecker
FE2DD843-35D4-4382-AB8D-253BE2D41950.jpeg

Here he is….the best locator call ever made!😂

aholdren

Supporting Member
South East Ohio
I picked up a custom maple and I’m just ok with how it sounds. I’m waiting on my call maker to spin me a good custom hooter.

I’ll disagree with Joe, I really like the sound of a pre dawn barred owl laugh that wakes a spring morning and makes a Tom stretch his neck and let ya know where he is.

I just got a custom made Blue Mahoe Crow call that screams.

Attachments

• 0BD70F19-0ACD-4155-AAC7-844C2DDFA493.jpeg
    0BD70F19-0ACD-4155-AAC7-844C2DDFA493.jpeg
    67.7 KB · Views: 138

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I’ll disagree with Joe, I really like the sound of a pre dawn barred owl laugh that wakes a spring morning and makes a Tom stretch his neck and let ya know where he is.

To each their own, so many ways to hunt them. In my experience they'll gobble anyway on their own. We usually stage in the general area we expect them to be and wait on that first roost gobble. Once we know where the bird is we slip in close and get set up.

Sgt Fury

Sgt. Spellchecker
DF83F5B8-7891-411C-BFF1-F43A42E6762C.jpeg

Not busting balls or giving a stupid answer. I wasn’t kidding about the peacock call….dead serious. Best locator call I’ve used. I know Jesse was looking for a wooden owl call but I’m just suggesting something else that I’ve had very good results with.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I've used all the methods and tend to prefer an owl call when roosting the night before. I also have better luck with an owl an hour before light than any other method. I carry a crow call for later in the day, but I tend to walk in blind most mornings, so a powerful owl call gives me a chance to gameplan much sooner than other calls have. I know what I want and why I want it, so the experience others have had is great, but I'm still wondering about those owl calls 😉