Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

LIVE from the stand 2018-19

lung buster

hocking county
I seen 4. Two small bucks and 2 does. 60 yds was as close as they came. Drew was skunked...not sure if we will go again. Addys softball was canceled which opened up tonight. She has an all day volleyball tournament tomorrow and drew has basketball. Im about out of "gas" for this season....

Reactions: bowhunter1023

Wildlife

Denny
Supporting Member
Ross County, Ohio
Minutes before quitting time I seen a large bodied deer all by itself just South of me, approximately 100 yards away, right at the bottom of the hill, slow walking towards the top of the hill.

I lost sight of the deer once it reached the thicker part of the wooded area that you see within the photograph below. (I didn't have my binoculars with me this evening.)

I was waiting for him to hit the top of the hill and hoped that it would turn West, right towards me, but apparently that didn't happen cause I didn't see the deer again.

I ended up staying up in my stand a little longer than normal cause I didn't want to scare it off from the area, so I waited until it got real dark before I decided to climb down.

(Furthermost point within the mid-right side of the photograph is where I first seen the deer slowly heading up the hill.)
20190201_163924[1].jpg

(This next photograph shows where I was kinda expecting to see the deer again, right at the top of the hill within the field, but that didn't happen.)
20190201_163937[1].jpg

So,,, I'm hopping that the only deer that I seen today will stick around until tomorrow morning.

The a.m. temperature is suppose to be in the mid 20's, which is great!

You can expect me to be in one of my tree stands at the crack of dawn.

Sgt Fury

Sgt. Spellchecker
NJ’s deer seasons ended on the 31st....it’s a balmy 1 degree out there now. Supposed to reach 37 today then warming up this week into the 50’s and possibly 60 on Tuesday. Small game still open. Good luck to all still chasing deer in Ohio.

Reactions: Jamie

Jamie

Ohio
[QUOTE="Wildlife, post: 661750, member: 28

A bit foggy @16* & no wind really.

Flushed out a turkey while hiking to my stand.

Trust me, that will wake you![/QUOTE]

not as fast as flushing a Grouse in the dark, which occasionally caused an instant loss of bladder control. :LOL: (I know a few of you can remember when we actually had Grouse in Ohio)

Sgt Fury

Sgt. Spellchecker
[QUOTE="Wildlife, post: 661750, member: 28

A bit foggy @16* & no wind really.

Flushed out a turkey while hiking to my stand.

Trust me, that will wake you!

not as fast as flushing a Grouse in the dark, which occasionally caused an instant loss of bladder control. :LOL: (I know a few of you can remember when we actually had Grouse in Ohio)[/QUOTE]

When I was hunting bear up in Canada, the guide would drop three people off on a logging road and walk each into their stand (over bait). Each hunter was about 15-20 miles apart. When it got dark, the guide would pick us up. The guide didn’t want you sitting in the stand near the bait waiting for him in the dark, so we were told to walk out to the logging road and wait. If you were the third guy picked up, you could expect an hour wait in the darkness....knowing there was an active bear bait about 300 yards away. Walking out in the dark this one time (I was third to be picked up) I was about 150 yards from the bait, walking through pretty thick spruce trees when a grouse exploded at my feet. My butt still clenches every time I think about that! 😂

Reactions: OhioWhiteTails

Buckmaster

Portage
My Dad’s bear guide made him wait in the stand until the guide picked him up. Sure enough while waiting a couple of moose came rumbling down the entry/exit trail. Thus the need to wait for guide pickup.

Sgt Fury

Sgt. Spellchecker
My Dad’s bear guide made him wait in the stand until the guide picked him up. Sure enough while waiting a couple of moose came rumbling down the entry/exit trail. Thus the need to wait for guide pickup.

The guide told us if we saw a moose, to walk off of the logging road and let it pass. He was more concerned with a bear being on the bait while you were still in the stand in the dark...then having to get down and walk out with the bear close by. Safety was one reason and not educating the bear was the other. It was a long hour wait either way.

Wildlife

Denny
Supporting Member
Ross County, Ohio
Holy crap is it freaking HOT out there!

Anyhow, I'm back at the house for some lunch & a few afternoon chores.

Seen two deer on the opposite side of the field from me (both antlerless, one little one & perhaps the mother) @10:15 and they walked right underneath the stand I hunted out of last night.

I'll be back out later this evening somewhere.