Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Live from Louisiana

triple_duece

Ragin Cajun.
5 of hunted the wood duck hole only killing 3 wood ducks and a green head. All the water was frozen over even in the woods. Pearl could walk on some of it.
2C6E831E-C39C-4855-AD06-4F777F3DFF3F.jpeg

Got out the woods and dropped Pearl in the warm camp. Grabbed my deer and deer hunting stuff and went to the taxidermy. Gonna skull mount ole G3 and told him he could keep the cape. I’m currently in my stand and it’s 8:30 here and 31 degrees. Deer didn’t move till 9:30 yesterday and buck came out around 10:30. Hoping for a repeat.

triple_duece

Ragin Cajun.
Teal season runs along w duck season. There is a special teal season in September so we have a chance to kill blue wings. During the winter it’s mostly greenwings as blue wings don’t like the cold and migrate to Mexico. I typically don’t shoot teal unless I have to. Mallards was working so we didn’t bother w the green rockets

Reactions: Sgt Fury

triple_duece

Ragin Cajun.
Gonna warm up tomorrow and it will rain and be in the 60’s for the next week. Normally I wouldn’t hunt my pond back to back but the mallards follow the freeze line. Bucks are rutting but I could care less about deer. My goal was to kill a good buck and duck hunt putting Pearl on plenty birds.

Went to Blake’s camp he has a giant brake behind him that’s private but we could shoot them from his land. Blake shot a double w one bird about 40 yards and another 20 further. He said I don’t think pearl can get the second one. I gave him that look and said I will have both on hand shortly. The heavy buck brush won’t let your dog do a good line and gets out of sight to give hand signals. Sent her on “back” and had to blow my whistle a few times and had a pretty drake in hand. Sent her back again and couple more commands and there was two drakes in hand. He was very impressed. We left and ate Mexican food in town. I said you know the difference of a good duck dog “meat dog” and a hunt tested champion? He said what, I said w a champion you get all your birds back, even very difficult blind retrieves.
75CBAA46-5BEA-4480-B86A-6D3630350186.jpeg

this picture is the first 20 yards off the bank. It’s probably the thickest brake w buck brush that I ever seen.

this morning we dropped a mallard out past the pond about 80 yards on the ag field. I told Blake, that birds fucked. Sent her back because it was a blind retrieve, which all of them were, one correction and she chased it down on the field and returned to hand. She knocked it out the park, which didn’t surprise me but it was exciting to watch it all happen.
1F7F72E9-6C8E-4631-A2CF-76F7297BA0C2.png

We also had two doe come past the pond then three doe an hour later. We joked about bringing a rifle. I told him we could’ve been like Phil Robertson and rolled a couple while filling limits.

triple_duece

Ragin Cajun.
Well I was right and knew it. First birds come in was teal and I said takem. Ended up with 3 greenwings. Never seen a big duck.
BBD8F1DA-8649-4E79-855B-E65FF97DC023.jpeg

this mornings view. Years ago I wouldn’t have appreciated this but I’m 55 now and learned to appreciate a lot of things overlooked. Figured it was gonna be a slow day so I packed a camp cooker, propane bottle, frying pan, sausage, bread and mayo. Wife had bought one at a garage sale. I’ve never had one and thought I was good to go until we figured out the gas adapter and regulator wasnt on it. So we loaded up and went to his camp w the swamp behind it. I ended up killing two woodies.

Weather turning to shit almost 70 today and heavy south wind. Rain after 10am tomorrow and all day Friday. Good thing I’m a duck hunter.

Last edited: