Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Jefferson Co Buck Quality

I have the opportunity to buy a 30ac piece of ground in Jefferson Co from a friend of a friend kind of deal. It has some topography and is intermixed forest and overgrown pasture (crp-ish w briars and scrub trees). There is no nearby ag other than a couple hundred fields down the road. There is ample area for plots. They have a rushed timeline on my answer before going to a realtor. Can anyone give me some insight in the buck quality in Jefferson Co (overall- on average) as I have hunted some private in Noble and Meigs (with the remainder being public)?

thank you

Reactions: Wildlife

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
EHD took a toll on Jefferson county 4-5 years ago. It’s coming back but what it used too be, yet. It’ll get there, eventually.
What part of Jefferson county are you looking at? N,S, E or W? E runs the river and has some high walls along it. Tough hunting but you can get a good pattern going for them.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
How was Toronto for age and genetics? Decent landowners or lots of lawlessness?
It was a timber company property. Lots of pressure during gun season. Archery you had it too yourself. Genetics were so, so. Lots of nontypical type racks. Property was eventually leased out and posted every 50’. I have always been more of a meat hunter vs a trophy hunter. So it was for freezer filling. If a good one showed up, that was icing on the cake.

Reactions: gjs4
Understood and thanks for the share. I’ve always wondered if those river counties were gems for genetics… more of proving a theory in my mind than anything with that ask. Haha

It must’ve been Coyote Ken who derailed the deal.

it was in the 2500-3000 an ac range through the talks, but had a delineated wetland on part, a neighbor who swore he owned a few acres of this (despite surveys, etc and having no proof) and powerlines. It just rounded the magic point of back and forth where no matter what it has going for i was done with the drama. Just looking to hunt and live my own life.