Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

I don't often splurge, but I splurged: new pack

Creamer

Athens
For the second year in a row, I have struggled with finding a pack that can handle the way I am hunting and not be horribly uncomfortable, ridiculously heavy, or fail. At the end of last season, I picked up a military surplus pack that I thought would work well for me. In some cases, it did. In other cases, not even close. With no frame, the heavier loads on the long hikes in weren't fun. Also, the strapping on the pack straight up sucked. I had a side compression strap rip out of the bag trying to cinch down on my climbing sticks this year. It literally ripped right out leaving a hole in the bag. The zippers could be heard from 3 miles away, I'm sure. Another hunt, as I was at my platform in the dark, transferring the bag from my shoulder to the hook on the tree, the strap pulled loose. The pack fell and nearly landed on my baby (custom recurve). I had also bought a cheap surplus framed pack, which I have alternated in and out of the rotation this season. My original plan for that pack was to be a meat hauler and nothing else, but failures on the first pack got me to using it. The second frame bag was way oversized for what I needed, and heavy (when it was empty).

I never thought I would ever jump on the high end pack bandwagon, but I jumped. I did a lot of research and found a pack that I thought would work best for what I am doing. Long story short, public land (mostly) hang and hunts, saddle hunting, packing most layers in with me, potentially packing meat out. I settled on the Kuiu Pro 2300. The bag size was great, I liked the organization, the frame is carbon fiber and really light, and I love the option to pack meat out between the frame and the bag. I also liked that, if I ever need a bigger bag on it for any reason, I can just buy the bag since the frame and suspension system will work with other bags. The first stimulus check basically got banked, but the second one went to my pack. It came yesterday, and so far so good.

I threw a bunch of weight in it and got it adjusted per the manual that came with it. It's crazy how light the pack and frame are to begin with. I had two big Athens Block Co bricks and a big piece of my steel bike rack in it to get it adjusted and I really liked how the pack distributed the weight. Sometime over the next few days I'll get my stuff transferred over and see how my "standard" pack load feels in it.

I'll add to this as I continue to play around with it. To be continued...

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Awesome man! I’ve only ever heard good things about KUIU. I have to ask though... what are the dimensions? To me it looks huge sitting next to that tree! I think having the ability to comfortably pack out a deer would be very sweet. I’m just not sure I could get used to carrying a pack that large. I’m pretty much a minimalist these days though. Other than my stand and sticks, all I need is coffee, binos, rangefinder, and knife.

Creamer

Athens
Awesome man! I’ve only ever heard good things about KUIU. I have to ask though... what are the dimensions? To me it looks huge sitting next to that tree! I think having the ability to comfortably pack out a deer would be very sweet. I’m just not sure I could get used to carrying a pack that large. I’m pretty much a minimalist these days though. Other than my stand and sticks, all I need is coffee, binos, rangefinder, and knife.

It's not as big as it might look. It's only a 2300 cubic inch pack, it's actually the second smallest frame pack they make. Most "standard" backpacks that people use for hunting, based off what I saw when looking them up, are around 1800-2000 cubic inches. Along with the basics (what I consider basics) of a knife, a few calls, tagging stuff, flashlight/headlamp, etc..., I also almost always am packing in multiple layers of clothing and my saddle, climbing sticks, platform, and arrow quiver. There were several cold mornings when I had long hikes, that I was literally hiking into the woods in athletic shorts and a t-shirt, with everything else on my back (minus my bow). I try to keep my body heat down as best I can and not sweat, and at the same time keep my insulating and camo layers dry and scent free. All that stuff adds up. I keep trying to cut out as much as I can, and I'm at the point where I don't know what else I can cut. I actually don't carry binos, a range finder, or any drinks because I'm trying to keep the weight down as much as I can.

Creamer

Athens
Small sample size so far, but through one hike to shuffle some trail cams and one hunt, I love the pack. I got all of my essentials swapped over from my old pack and went for a hike to move some cameras. I was able to have my non-clothing items in smaller pockets and left the large "cargo" pocket empty. For my long hikes in, I would almost always pack in my camo pants and jacket, as well as at least one insulating layer like a fleece or sweatshirt. I am able to get all of those items in the main cargo area. My Tethrd Predator clips right onto the middle of the pack. The compression straps on the left side securely hold my quiver.

The hunt wasn't a fair judgement on it because it was on private ground at a buddy's place, and our walk was literally about 150 yards from where the ATV was parked. The biggest issue I currently have is one I knew about and expected: the saddle is the next thing to upgrade. It's nuts how big and bulky the old TrophyLine saddle is. It takes up nearly as much room as all of my camo. I am able to strap it down on top of the Predator platform, and it works, but one of the newer lightweight saddles would save a lot more bulk and some weight.

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
I'm glad you shared this post Jeff. I've been looking for a while for the perfect pack for how I like to hunt, and it seems like a frame pack fits my needs more than any other. I hadn't considered the Kuiu stuff, but I will definitely check it out. Would you care to show the interior pockets, and how does it work for packing game out? That's my biggest beef with pack manufacturers, is they don't do a good job with the visuals of the interior design. To me, that's just as important as the size of the pack.

The pack I'm currently looking at is the Stryker XL with a frame from Kifaru International. It's ridiculously pricey, but infinitely adaptable to suit whatever needs I may have.

Creamer

Athens
I'm glad you shared this post Jeff. I've been looking for a while for the perfect pack for how I like to hunt, and it seems like a frame pack fits my needs more than any other. I hadn't considered the Kuiu stuff, but I will definitely check it out. Would you care to show the interior pockets, and how does it work for packing game out? That's my biggest beef with pack manufacturers, is they don't do a good job with the visuals of the interior design. To me, that's just as important as the size of the pack.

The pack I'm currently looking at is the Stryker XL with a frame from Kifaru International. It's ridiculously pricey, but infinitely adaptable to suit whatever needs I may have.

Sure man, I'll snap some pics. I was looking hard at the Stryker, also, but I thought I could get what I needed from the Kuiu and not spend the extra cheddar on the Stryker.

Reactions: bowhunter1023

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
From a brand standpoint, Aron Snyder and Kifaru get my vote. Snyder's podcast with Dudly on the NockOn Podcast is a great listen. Either brand delivers lasting value. Following closely here as I view this as a potential investment for my fitness routine as much as for hunting. Long walks carrying weight has been something I've considered for a while now, with the added benefit of doing more mobile hunting because the pack in is more comfortable.

Creamer

Athens
Here you go, @Fluteman .

I use the two compression straps in the middle to hold my platform/saddle. Popped the platform off for this. The Kuiu kit comes with the frame, suspension, bag, and two accessory pockets for the waist belt. You can see those pouches here. Both are plenty big enough to hold phones, wallet, keys, whatever. Also a bottle pouch on each side.

You can see there's two sets of vertical zippers on the side. Same on both sides. The smaller zipper opens a vertical pocket. I've got a small tripod in this side, I usually stick my gear reel in it, also, for pulling up my bow. On the other side I have my knives and a saw.

The larger side zipper accesses the main compartment where I stuff my layers. There's also the small internal pocket you can see below my thumb, and that's where I keep my tagging stuff (pen, temp tags, zip ties, etc...). There's a hydration bladder area inside there also, but that's not something I am doing right now. There's strapping internally, also that you can use to strap down bulkier or heavier items (like meat on a pack out).

There's a roomy little pocket on the top of the bag where I keep stuff I want to get to often in the stand. I'm sticking my headlamp and calls in there right now.

As for packing out large loads, I figured it was easiest to snap pics of the manual. Basically, you partially remove the bag from the frame, put your game bag or camp bag in between the pack and frame, re-attach the compression straps, and cinch everything back down.

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
Excellent, thanks for the pictures. I know you are a saddle hunter now, but how do you feel this pack would work for a guy that would want to carry good sized hang on between the frame and the pack? Right now, the properties I hunt allow me to have sticks and receivers up where all I need to carry in is my treestand in with me. With that being said, sometimes I'm walking in 3/4 of a mile, and I've been doing this long enough to know that it would just be better to break down and spend the $$$ to get a pack that better suits my needs. I don't know too many guys that use frame packs for eastern hunting, so I'm trying to get as much info as I can before I spend the $$$. I have an idea of what I want, and how I will use it, but nothing beats first hand information.

Creamer

Athens
I think it would work well for that. If it's a lightweight stand, I think you could probably strap it to the outside of the pack similar to the way I attach the saddle platform, too. It would probably need an extra single strap around the stand/bag to keep it from swinging side to side, but that would be even more convenient than sticking it between the pack and frame, I think.

Reactions: OO2

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Lone Wolf Custom Gear just released what appears to be one of the nicest mobile-hunting-specific packs that I've ever seen. At $300, it is very "spendy." But it appears to hit all the major bullet points and appears to be well-made. I really like the simplistic and small design. I'll be really interested in hearing the reviews this summer leading up to deer season 2022.

Jamie

Ohio
Lone Wolf Custom Gear just released what appears to be one of the nicest mobile-hunting-specific packs that I've ever seen. At $300, it is very "spendy." But it appears to hit all the major bullet points and appears to be well-made. I really like the simplistic and small design. I'll be really interested in hearing the reviews this summer leading up to deer season 2022.

lol, it's a good idea, and I'm sure there are some improvements with a specialized pack like that, but I've been doing essentially the same thing with my climber (Lone Wolf Alpha) and my regular plain, and pretty old now Cabela's day pack for 20 years. just attach the day pack to the stand with shoulder straps, carry the stand with shoulder straps, I've never actually done it with a hang on, but it would work just the same. it's solid, quiet, comfortable, and I can easily carry everything I need for an all day hunt.

Reactions: OO2

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
lol, it's a good idea, and I'm sure there are some improvements with a specialized pack like that, but I've been doing essentially the same thing with my climber (Lone Wolf Alpha) and my regular plain, and pretty old now Cabela's day pack for 20 years. just attach the day pack to the stand with shoulder straps, carry the stand with shoulder straps, I've never actually done it with a hang on, but it would work just the same. it's solid, quiet, comfortable, and I can easily carry everything I need for an all day hunt.
Yea, I totally get it. I essentially do the same. I have a GamePlan gear pack (that I rarely use anymore) and a Sitka Toolbelt pack that I acquired this year... My LW sticks are strapped to my LW Alpha hang-on, and then I attach/strap my pack to that. I carry the whole rig with the shoulder straps on my stand. It works, sure. But with the sticks and how I strap them to the stand, the my hang off a bit and the pack is hard to get tucked in tight and center-balanced. I’ve been doing it for a few years and it gets the job done. The difference is this new LWCG pack, although it’ll work with any setup, it is specifically designed for their LWCG tree stands. Their sticks can mount flush in grommets, the seat can be set to lay flat (parallel to ground), and their new pack sits neatly on that seat. It would make for a really well balanced and clean mobile hunting rig. The top-load compartment design is nice too. It’s one of the things I like most about my Sitka Toolbelt pack... Hang it on the tree and everything is easily accessible from the top, no zippers or buttons to open. It’s truly a “want vs need” scenario. You can kill deer with a homemade stickbow or a 100-yd range crossbow.