Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

I don't often splurge, but I splurged: new pack

Creamer

Athens
Yea, I totally get it. I essentially do the same. I have a GamePlan gear pack (that I rarely use anymore) and a Sitka Toolbelt pack that I acquired this year... My LW sticks are strapped to my LW Alpha hang-on, and then I attach/strap my pack to that. I carry the whole rig with the shoulder straps on my stand. It works, sure. But with the sticks and how I strap them to the stand, the my hang off a bit and the pack is hard to get tucked in tight and center-balanced. I’ve been doing it for a few years and it gets the job done. The difference is this new LWCG pack, although it’ll work with any setup, it is specifically designed for their LWCG tree stands. Their sticks can mount flush in grommets, the seat can be set to lay flat (parallel to ground), and their new pack sits neatly on that seat. It would make for a really well balanced and clean mobile hunting rig. The top-load compartment design is nice too. It’s one of the things I like most about my Sitka Toolbelt pack... Hang it on the tree and everything is easily accessible from the top, no zippers or buttons to open. It’s truly a “want vs need” scenario. You can kill deer with a homemade stickbow or a 100-yd range crossbow.

You're triggering my PTSD from when I used to carry a Lone Wolf Alpha with 5 sticks strapped to it. Plus a small gear bag. My shoulders hurt just thinking about it.

Packs seem like the sort of thing that is really personal and a wide array can fit how different people hunt. I only really hunt with one guy and he's never carried a pack. He's got stands already hung, usually, and uses climbing spurs to go up/down the tree. He carries a knife and a flashlight in his pocket, maybe a grunt tube, and he's set. A standard size day pack might fit you to a T. The Lone Wolf CG pack looks slick, but it's about 1000 cubic inches smaller than what I just bought that fits me well. Having used LW stuff for a long time, I have no doubts it's well made and well designed, but it wouldn't fit me.

Reactions: jagermeister

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
You're triggering my PTSD from when I used to carry a Lone Wolf Alpha with 5 sticks strapped to it. Plus a small gear bag. My shoulders hurt just thinking about it.

Packs seem like the sort of thing that is really personal and a wide array can fit how different people hunt. I only really hunt with one guy and he's never carried a pack. He's got stands already hung, usually, and uses climbing spurs to go up/down the tree. He carries a knife and a flashlight in his pocket, maybe a grunt tube, and he's set. A standard size day pack might fit you to a T. The Lone Wolf CG pack looks slick, but it's about 1000 cubic inches smaller than what I just bought that fits me well. Having used LW stuff for a long time, I have no doubts it's well made and well designed, but it wouldn't fit me.
I totally agree with you. I’ve been “dealing” with my current setup because it works fine for short to moderate hikes in and out (<1/4 mile). And my longer walks in are generally limited to a week-long hunting trip once a year, which makes it hard to justify dropping big coin on a frame pack or something specialized like this $300 LWCG pack. I figure one day when I finally decide to take a backcountry trip out west I’ll probably jump into a more specialized pack.

Creamer

Athens
I did another "quick" hike to move a camera on public ground. A little over 3 miles to grab a camera close to parking and move it deep into the public into a spot I started hunting late in November that showed promise. Lots of sign in the area with fresh snow, so very fresh sign. Still no pack complaints.

Creamer

Athens
Saturday was my first big test, a deep dive into public ground with a full load of saddle gear and clothing. It handled the load like a champ. I cinched the 3 LW sticks down to the side opposite the quiver and lashed the saddle down to the back of the pack. I was going to slide it in between the pack and frame but wanted to see how it handled the saddle on the back of the pack. No issues at all. In the main compartment, I had my camo pants, jacket, fleece underlayer, and hand muff. The pack is rock solid on my back and the heavier load wasn't moving at all.

The only thing missing was a pack-out of meat. I saw 6 does, no bucks. Does in range, as usual, when/where I can't shoot them.

Last edited: