Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

How do you do it

Tipmoose

Supporting Member
Grove City
I have no idea why people in Ohio don't do it. I think it could only be from years of having to take the entire animal to a check station. Now that we don't have to, this is a non-issue. Don't even have to gut the deer to do this either!
The simple answer is that I've been spoiled. Most of my hunting has been on flat ground with easy quad access. Never had a pack that would accommodate carrying one out. Also the deer in NC are smaller than the ones up here.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Can you ask neighbor to the North for advanced extraction permission? I see a grassy trail in their field to your wood lot.
It's drainage for the field. I have access to hunt that property as well. The grass stops about where the pic cuts off so I'd still have to drive through about 100 yards of field to get to the drainage grass area. That field is planted in winter wheat this year so that's not an option this season.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I have a sled. Works great, even in mud. Only time it sucks is in high stem count thick brush. But it flat ag county, it's absolutely the way to go. I have an old treestand harness that has a carabiner attached to the waist belt. Hook up the sled, put the harness on, and get after it!

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
I can see now that packing deer out is a way better option than dragging them out. Unless your getting the inner loin there's no reason to gut them. Most hunters now only use the shoulders, rear quarters, and back straps. Very few actually eat the heart or liver.

Way back when people used way more of the deer then we do now so it was needed to lighten the load by field dressing it and bringing home the entire deer. It was taught from one generation to the next to just drag the entire thing out of the woods with you. Over the years less and less was being used but we still drug the entire thing out of the field. No idea why other then that's just what you do lol. I can remember cutting out rib meat and neck meat to use in stew but I don't see many people doing that anymore. Very few people use the hide, bones, or organs like they use to either.

How well does a plastic sled work in the mud?
Not worth a damn. (n)🚫 I have a Jet Sled, left over from my ice fishing days and it works great, IF there's snow on the ground. Otherwise, I won't get it out of the attic.

I purchased a Muddy deer cart, use a couple of cinch straps with it and have had good luck getting deer out with it. (y):) As far as loading them into a p/u truck, I'd suggest getting a cargo carrier for your hitch and using it. They're only about a foot off of the ground, about $60 (TSC, Harbor Freight, etc.) and hold up to 500 lbs. :unsure: It might seem silly, since you have the bed of the truck, but there's no way I'm killing myself to lift a deer that high, by myself.
I'm only 66, in decent shape and do okay getting deer out by myself, but I ain't injuring myself for a dead deer. :sneaky:
B1 2019.jpg

Doe 5.jpg

triple_duece

Ragin Cajun.
Plenty of ways to achieve getting a deer out. Use a deer cart but pull on edge of field on more solid ground. Quarter and pack out. Use an atv. Drag to nearest extraction area.

Shoot mid spine and hold deer by rear legs while still alive and wheel barrel it to the truck. 😂 joking but have heard of someone doing it.

TinyTucky

The Flatlands
Disclaimer I am not an artist, and my art too way too long to make 😂😂 White lines are your truck, red circle is a tie down point (my truck has them in all 4 corners), green is your rope or strap, purple is a post, tree, something solid. I’ve done this twice and it worked surprisingly well, just need to be sure you drive slow enough, and get the deers head to clear the tail gate before you fuck shit up and pull all the way up. The tie down point in the bed is acting as a pulley. Hope the pic helps, if it doesn’t just tell me it did so I don’t feel like I wasted my time 😂
IMG_5049.jpeg

TinyTucky

The Flatlands
Also I’ll vote for packing the deer out. After dragging my buck out solo last November in those stupid ass hills, I’m sold on packing them out and not dragging. Like Dave said, get a frame pack and you’ll be good to go.

Reactions: giles

Floki

Not worth a damn. (n)🚫 I have a Jet Sled, left over from my ice fishing days and it works great, IF there's snow on the ground. Otherwise, I won't get it out of the attic.

I purchased a Muddy deer cart, use a couple of cinch straps with it and have had good luck getting deer out with it. (y):) As far as loading them into a p/u truck, I'd suggest getting a cargo carrier for your hitch and using it. They're only about a foot off of the ground, about $60 (TSC, Harbor Freight, etc.) and hold up to 500 lbs. :unsure: It might seem silly, since you have the bed of the truck, but there's no way I'm killing myself to lift a deer that high, by myself.
I'm only 66, in decent shape and do okay getting deer out by myself, but I ain't injuring myself for a dead deer. :sneaky:
View attachment 190406
View attachment 190408
I’ve ripped them right off the rear end of my truck don’t take them though ponds!

High ditches … Etc etc

Floki

If it’s really a problem Tag it skin it 1/4 it … Move it. 🤷🏼‍♂️ Come along go along etc.

Bluefinn

Portage Co.
I carry 2 sections of an old ladder stand in my truck. Lean it against the tail gait & easily pull the sled up. Once it is on the tail gate just lift the ladder & push it in. I actually use a 20 year old rectangular sled that my kids used for sled riding with a couple bungee cords to keep the deer from falling out.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Disclaimer I am not an artist, and my art too way too long to make 😂😂 White lines are your truck, red circle is a tie down point (my truck has them in all 4 corners), green is your rope or strap, purple is a post, tree, something solid. I’ve done this twice and it worked surprisingly well, just need to be sure you drive slow enough, and get the deers head to clear the tail gate before you fuck shit up and pull all the way up. The tie down point in the bed is acting as a pulley. Hope the pic helps, if it doesn’t just tell me it did so I don’t feel like I wasted my time 😂View attachment 190435
Illustration is definitely on point and you definitely inherited this ability from your dad. You even knew I drove a black truck. Very impressive indeed. I'm not sure if this would work with my tie down points in the bed without clipping a pulley and running the rope through that. My tie down point is flat metal so it would just cut the rope in half.

Reactions: TinyTucky